1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Melania Trump Plaigerizes Michelle Obama

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by InTheLight, Jul 19, 2016.

1. The American Dream

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Two great posts. It is beyond belief. We have a nation with borders out of control, police being slaughtered, gun rights threatened, out of control deficit, crooks galore in Congress, disrespected overseas, poverty increasing, ISIS, etc, and here is someone worried about a speech at a convention. What kind of thinking is that? Actually its not.

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How often have you accused other's of plagiarism? Was i unimportant at those times?

Seems very dishonest of you to suddenly say it is not important when it is someone you support.

You have convinced me that you are one of those people who will not admit they support and will vote for Trimp as they know it will put them in a bad light.

If this issue is so unimportant then please show Obama and Clinton as much consideration as want others to show Trump. You know, live the Golden Rule..

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure where you are missing my point.

4. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So it is plagiarism. Then they lied by saying:

"There's no cribbing of Michelle Obama’s speech. These were common words and values. She cares about her family. To think that she'd be cribbing Michelle Obama's words is crazy."

Then Chris Christie lied by saying:

"There's no way that Melania Trump was plagiarizing Michelle Obama's speech.”

Rev. If plagiarism is not important, do you also approve of Trump supporters living about it?

They think the American voter is stupid. Then they admit, yes it was plagiarism.

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The majority of American voters are stupid. They elected Obama ...twice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Lewis

Lewis Active Member
    Site Supporter

Melania Trump's speech at the convention was about 15 minutes long. And maybe one paragraph sounded like a speech that Michelle Obama gave a few years back. A speech that Michelle didn't even write herself, and which wasn't especially impressive anyway. The Dems and ...others... are really digging deep to make an issue of this. Just making noise.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. The American Dream

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same quote, Democrats are bankrupt with an outgoing failed presidency and a criminal for a nominee. They cannot compete on issues like border control, etc, so they worry about a speech at a convention.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a bunch of ado about nothing but what can you say? Let them wring their hands over a bunch of platitudes and a lazy speechwriter.

No, that's wrong. You don't own an "automatic copyright" on this post, do you? You think all those awful karaoke singers are violating a copyright?

What a copyright is open up a plagiarist to criminal charges and lowers the bar whereas you don't have to prove financial damage. That is going to be impossible for Michelle to claim in this case, and she won't.

Same with Obama - how did he financially damage Patrick? Now, Biden, back in school, fell under the umbrella of "academic plagiarism" but even then, it's just a civil tort.

Sick of this too, all I have to say is that both of these women would/will make a better First Lady than Bill Clinton.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mommas, don't let your babies grow up to be interns...

in a Clinton White House.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I gave you a link to a legal website saying you are wrong. Give me a link to a legal website that says I am wrong. You can't. But do not feel bad. Most people do not know about automatic copyright. So, let me help you:

Artists and writers are often surprised to learn that copyright is automatic – that is, nothing needs to be done to claim copyright protection. Although additional rights are provided if the work is registered with the U.S. Copyright Office, legal protection is guaranteed once a work is created – which is the day it is “fixed in a tangible medium of expression.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/copyright-automatic.html

From: http://womeninbusiness.about.com/od/copyrightlaws/f/FAQlaw-autocr.htm

As of January 1, 1978, under U.S. copyright law, a work is automatically protected by copyright when it is created. Specifically, “A work is created when it is “fixed” in a copy or phonorecord for the first time.”

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow, I'm not sure who (a write-in maybe) or even if I am going to vote - but Melania is not the one running for president. I noted my disdain for Trump several weeks ago but I agree with a post a few clicks back that there are bigger fish to fry than Melania's plagiarism.

Ya I read through the thread and wish I hadn't.

But I have this to say: you are assuring that we will have a queen's coronation in January by bad mouthing Trump's endeavor.

I may change my mind and vote for him.

Not sure.

But this we know - we will have a Marxist Supreme Court 8 years from now if our above-the-law scandal ridden queen gets coronated. Divide and conquer?

Keep up the good work komrades.

HankD

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. The American Dream

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The simple fact is anyone voting for Hillary is voting for a known criminal. If that is your respect for our nation, planes are going to Syria and Iran everyday.

13. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Patronizing much? I can't help it if Melinda is prettier than Bill.

Most people must not know how very limited an automatic copyright really is, so let ME help YOU:

blah blah blah: https://www.teachingcopyright.org/handout/copyright-faq

there is no case here : http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ01.pdf

but even if it is under automatic copyright:
    there's still no case here - it's an "undocumented plagiarism" in your parlance. You ought to go help Politico go chase those college records now.

14. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Limited or not, it is a copyright. So, there is a case whether you are honest enough to admit it. I guess you are not willing to acknowledge the law and here I thought you were a law and order man. Guess I was wrong.

15. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read the coverage in today's (7/20) Wall Street Journal on this "issue". According to the WSJ, 7% of the speech is the "problem". A comment in one of the articles is along the lines of "the writers didn't go through another time to completely file the numbers off."

• Like Like x 1
  16. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, it was just a few paragraphs and Michelle delivered hers better anyways.

Honest enough to admit what? That there's such thing as an automatic copyright? Well, yes there is, but it's not an unlimited term - every work created does not qualify. And I didn't think Melinda's case qualified.

Maybe I was not clear, all I was saying is (from one of my official links):

You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work.

Not that there was no such thing as an automatic copyright at all. But it's best to be aware of the laws in any event, you may write a book or something one day.

17. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I'll add the articles look to be fairly in depth.

18. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, when there is cyanide in the punch bowl, it's "only 7%", so you'd drink that punch, right?

#78 InTheLight, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On another similar site like this one that I participate on, a Trump Supporter made a comment that he would be happy if he got 80% (or something similar) right. Sounds good, but what consists of the 20% that he might get wrong?

20. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1