1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Merry Christmas vs Happy Holidays

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Dec 3, 2009.

1. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I just wanted to say to everyone...

Merry Christmas.

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Yep...I could make the case that the so-called "War on Christmas" is being waged by Christians who go to the stores in the first place to join in the secular celebration. This "war" is a fabrication of a few pandering media types. No one can tell you how to celebrate (or not celebrate) the holiday. I for one, will accept all well wishes. I need all I can get.

3. Magnetic Poles

Now jwp, you have been watching Bill O'Reilly again, haven't you? :tongue3:

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It does mandate doing things in a certain Name, and that Name is being censored.

Litigation is the most common weapon used against Christians. Try practicing Christianity some and then you'll see.

Christianity, not merely Christmas.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One who is a Christian in name and not practice.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Last time I checked, Christmas wasn't the name of my Savior, nor is it found in scripture, nor is it even Jesus' name.
    Wow, yet another Aaronism: Make a veiled insult at a member of the brethren that is less likely to get the attention of the moderators. How crafty.

FYI, I preach Christianity all the time. Real Christianity, not just the wear-it-on-your-sleeve-during-december type.

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The burglar's in the bedroom and your fiddlin' in the parlor.

8. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Okay, thanks. I have a tendency to forget my words now and then...too many floating around my brain!

9. Magnetic Poles

So, that's a new one. Sharing one's faith is just "fiddlin' in the parlor". How's that corner you've painted yourself into?

10. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I believe we should be more concerned with modeling Christ during this time of the year rather than berating everyone who doesn't use the proper words of greeting.

11. TennisNE1

TennisNE1 Member

My daughter works at a very prominent department store here in the south. The last thing she says to the customer is "God Bless You". She has never been reprimended. I am so blessed! This store also encourages their employees to say Merry Christmas!

Cindy

12. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

I normally say "merry Christmas," but I'll accept any good wishes.

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

We all know the Biblical basis for saying things like 'Merry Christmas.'

Does anyone really believe that saying it is a part of an effective witness for Christ. In a shop ''Merry Christmas' means 'buy more stuff.'

#53 NaasPreacher (C4K), Dec 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2009
  14. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Saying "Merry Christmas" can be an effective witness for Christ. If one lives his life so that others see Christ in their everyday actions then it is expected unless your one those grumpy Christians that seem to find fault with everything that is different from what you think it should be. Then saying "Merry Christmas" becomes just a saying that a whole lot of other people just say.

Regardless of the why's, saying "Merry Christmas" does send a positive reaction to either the giver or the one recieving or others around that hear it, or all!

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Merry Christmas is said all the time a drunken Christmas parties. Meaningless in my mind.

16. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I do like to hear Merry Christmas exchanged this time of year, and the words Happy Holidays irks me. However, on a deeper level, I very much agree with you. The basis of all the nonsense that goes on this time of year is secular. If one thinks about all the trivial activities, and the time, money and effort that goes into them, it becomes quite clear you are right. Think about the Christmas decorations that are put up, the tree, fighting crowds to get gifts no one wants or needs, the one gathering after another to stuff our guts, and it becomes one grueling marthon from Thanksgiving on. If half the money, time, and effort was spent that we put into this self-indulgent exercise of futility was spent on helping the poor or spreading the Gospel, maybe our churches would be fuller.

They like to pass laws in Washington controlling our lives. Lets pass one that only allows this once every five years.

17. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sad. Regardless of what drunks do it will always be much more than meaningless to me.

18. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

That is what it is to you. I do not think most feel that way.

19. NaasPreacher (C4K)

On an interesting note - the cultural greeting here is 'Happy Christmas'

20. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

I have to say I concur!! I really go along with it all and try to buck up because of my family. They feel differently. But I totally agree - well, except for the Washington part. I don't want them regulating any of my "holiday" decisions!