1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Merry Christmas vs Happy Holidays

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Dec 3, 2009.

1. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please give me a little more credit than this, Johnv. While reading through fliers for Black Friday, we counted no less than 13 different stores who have taken the term "Christmas" and changed it to "holidays."

This isn't about Christmas trees not being about Christ's birth. It's about a deliberate attempt by retailers to remove Christ's name in CHRISTmas in order to pacify the PC crowd, while still pandering to the commercializion of that celebration. It's hypocritical.

So far I've never seen Valentine's Day, July 4th, or Easter changed to "holiday." Perhaps it's because those days don't include the name CHRIST.

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I still wonder if we REALLY want the name of Christ associated with the all the commercial hype. Isn't that using the name of Christ for a secular profit?

3. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now THAT is a good point! I can accept that much better than some of the other comments made in this thread.:thumbsup:

4. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wouldn't go that far (accept the reasoning, that is)...It borders on the "perfectionist fallacy" which reasons that -If all aspects of the issue aren't perfect then we should do away with the whole. It's nothing more than a rhetorical device to support an argument to not uphold the name "Christ" to be a practical part of our Christian celebration in my book.

5. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Feliz Navidad! Feliz Navidad. Feliz Navidad.
    Prospero ano y felicedad.

6. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Merry Christmas.

(Although I am singing Feliz Navidad right now ;) )

7. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I understand that, Benjamin, but at least it was a comment with some substance to it. The replies "I don't care" or "drunks say Merry Christmas" to me have no place in this debate. At least the reasoning behind C4K's reply was logical in some way.

8. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

What did the angels say? Merry Christmas? Happy holidays? Glory in the highest!!!

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I think you have a good point there. Otoh, it is kind of cool to see that the world can't help itself celebrate Christmas, even if they deny Christ. It overshadows all other holidays, at least in countries where Christianity has been for awhile. I know that's cultural, but it reminds me of what Jesus said about even the stones crying out his name.

10. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, it was some pretty good rhetoric. :thumbs:

Uh, again...I wouldn't go THAT far...:smilewinkgrin:

:laugh:

11. targus

targus New Member

Good point.

"Merry" Christmas seems to be somewhat secularized.

Why do we not say:

"Have a Blessed Christmas"

"Have a Glorious Christmas"

"Have a Joyous Christmas"

or some other such less secularized thing?

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    None of your recommendations are "secular" as they all include "Christ"

Yes, I do make a point of mentioning that Christ is the reason for the season. Often a clerk will say that some customers are offended if they offer "Merry Christmas". I then respond with "Well, I am offended, if you don't". I say it in a very polite manner, with the goal of a step to witnessing.

Salty

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Just because the word "holiday" appears, that doesn't mean it was "changed".
    If you truly believed that, then you should encourage, and not discourage a separation between commercialization and the use of the word "Christmas".
    Aside from the fact that "Christ" is not Jesus' name, it's likewise (if not moreso) hypocritical for us to complain about Christmas being commercialized, and then complain when the word "Christmas" is not used in said commercialization.

Complaining about the world "holidays" being used during November/December is about as ridiculous as the NAACP complaining about white sales being held during the Martin Luther King holiday.

Saying "Merry Christmas" doesn't share the gospel one iota any more or less than any other greeting. But our problem isn't the greeting "Happy Holidays", it's our attitude about it. We AUTOMATICALLY assume that every use of the phrase is because someone was instructed to use it instead of "Merry Christmas", which in and of itself is a casting by us of a false judgement upon another. Our response to "Happy Holidays" says more about us than it does about the person giving the greeting.

14. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

I was in the retail busines for 50 years and for the most part of that I used the greeting " I hope you and your family have a great holiday". Using this at the beginning of November usually was for Thanksgiving and Christmas and thought nothng about. As thr bru-hau developed over this issue I found myself using "Merry Christmas ". I guess what I really was saying was "Have a Merry Thanksgiving and Christmas".

15. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    First of all, not all commercialization of Christmas is wrong. It's not a sin to decorate a tree or buy a nativity set to put in the house or even in the yard. What's wrong is when people focus on the gifts instead of on Christ. I believe we can have both.

I have never automatically assumed that all retail workers are forced to say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas." I'm sure some people simply say it to include Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years, BUT there are many retailers who HAVE purposely done so. The American Family Association has kept track of this and has kept Christians informed as to which stores have purposely done this. These stores have admitted to their political correctness, we haven't had to assume anything so we could judge others. It's not our job to "judge" others, but it is our job to stand up for what we believe in instead of wimping out and letting the liberals walk all over us!

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I concur. I don't think any commercialization of Christmas is wrong. What is wrong, though is for us to equate the presence of Christmas references in said commercialization as gospel-referencing. Strictly speaking, the number of times the word "Christmas" appears or is absent makes no difference whatsoever on whether or not the Gospel is present.
    You did. You presumed that your local retail fliers "removed" the word "Christmas, based solely on whether the word "holiday" appeared. That's sheer presumption.
    Then the AFA has too much time on its hands. Seeing as how the AFA claims that the Virginia Techand Columbine shootings occurred because of abortion and no prayer in schools, they're not exactly high on the integrity list.

When we get all bent out of shape over just because someone uses "Happy holidays", we're not standing up for our beliefs, we're making a mockery out of our own beliefs.

#76 Johnv, Dec 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2009
  17. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, when did Christmas trees suddenly become holiday trees? I was born in the 70's and NEVER heard of a holiday tree until a few years ago. Same thing with Christmas gifts, Christmas decorations, and Christmas break at school. Somewhere along the line, recently, these have been changed to holiday trees, holiday gifts, holiday decorations, and winter break. Why?

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

If your faith is assaulted by what you call a tree of pagan origin, then the problem is with your faith, and not with the tree.

19. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you answer my question? When did the change occur, and why?

20. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I thought it was a rhetorical question on your on your part, since you've already decided the answer.