1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Mexico president cancels Trump summit as wall taunt deepens spat

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Rolfe, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mexico president cancels Trump summit as wall taunt deepens spat

Mexico's president on Thursday scrapped a planned summit with Donald Trump in the face of insistent tweets from the U.S. president demanding Mexico pay for a border wall, a deepening rift that threatens Mexican efforts to salvage trade ties.

Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto, responding to a Twitter message from Trump saying it would be better for him not to come to the meeting if Mexico would not pay for the wall, said in his own tweet that he would not attend and had informed the White House of this.

Trump later presented the scrapped plan as a mutual agreement. Addressing Republican members of Congress at a meeting in Philadelphia, he said he and Pena Nieto had agreed to cancel the meeting, adding it would be fruitless if Mexico did not treat the United States "fairly".

"I've said many times that the American people will not pay for the wall," Trump told the gathering. "Unless Mexico is going to treat the United States fairly, with respect, such a meeting would be fruitless and I want to go a different route."

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-mexico-idUSKBN15A1VF

Bill Kristol said it best: "It's lucky the U.S. doesn't have a stake in a reasonably stable, prosperous and friendly Mexico."

2. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am shocked that another country won't pony up 15 billion for our own infrastructure.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I bet they will not crawl on their knees, hands outstretched in the Oval Office and pay their annual tribute. Ah, what has the world come to?

4. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Foreign relations off to a rip roaring start.

5. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What them go down hill from here. Trump is surrendering the high ground and is going to lead us into great troubles.

Please, dear God, have mercy on us!

6. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought it was a pretty good negotiating tactic by Trump. Obviously Nieto is dying to go to the White House for the photo ops but he must have decided he'd get better ratings at home if he says he won't pay for the wall.

Trump: "Don't bother coming to the White House if you're not planning on paying for the wall."
    Nieto: "OK, I'm not paying for the wall, so I'm not coming to meet with you."

SNUB CITY!

Another possible course of action is for Nieto was to say he doesn't negotiate via Twitter and just kept his mouth shut, assuming the meeting was on, then show up for the meeting and tell him in person he wasn't going to pay for the wall. Would have been doubling humiliating for Trump.

Can't wait to see what "Mr. Master Negotiator" does next.

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think that's the real reason he canceled the meeting.

8. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WDAJS?

What Does Alex Jones Say?

Sent from my Moto Droid Turbo.

9. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He wasn't prepared to bask in the glow of the god of greed.

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't know. Not a fan. I pay about as much attention to them as I do CNN, which is zero. Never believe anything either one says. But maybe You could look up poncho and ask him.

But the word on the street is that , if Trump shuts down the border, the cartels will be hurt and the president of Mexico is owned by the cartels. He can't afford to upset them, so no meeting.

11. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, Nieto was just trashed by his constituents over his last meeting with Trump - Mexicans wanted an apology or some softening on the rhetoric but Trump wouldn't shut up during the one hour press conference following the meeting. He dominated the whole thing again and Nieto just sat there.

Several hours later, Nieto took to twitter and then claimed he told Trump privately that Mexico was not going to pay for any wall. Trump just said:"you're going to pay forit".

So, the Mexican president had nothing to lose by not meeting with Trump, except face - Trump told him not to come if he wasn't going to agree to pay for the wall. Nieto did the right thing by cancelling this meeting, he pleased his fellow countrymen and Trump left him no choice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There seems to be conflicting evidence as to how Mexico deals with its southern border and the drug running and gun running and illeagal immigrants. But that needs to be considered when forming our policies with that country to our south.

13. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmmm... So Mexico treats its southern border with more security than its northern border? I wonder... is there a nearby country that has the same policy?

Sent from my Moto Droid Turbo.

14. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, shocker that another country that’s been freely invading and using us wouldn’t be willing to pony up for building a wall to block themselves out. I’m sure President Trump never thought about that being a possibility…

15. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Put a 20% tariff on imported goods from Mexico. Make American taxpayers pay for the wall. Start a trade war with Mexico, our third largest trading partner. Brilliant!

16. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you sure? You've been so wrong so often about Trump, it's kinda hard to take your gloom and doom forecasts seriously.

17. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Question was: "Let's see what the Master Negotiator does next?" This tariff is his proposal. I don't think it will ever amount to anything, but it's what he has said he will do. (You may have noticed that what he says and what happens are sometimes not related.)

18. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not in this thread, it wasn't. Not unless you're starting to talk to yourself.

Must be jumping around so much , you can't keep it straight. This is your gloom and doom thread.

19. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your hate-fueled posts towards me are getting the best of you. Following me around and picking at everything I post has got you in a confused mess. Really, take a rest from BB.

I see that Rolfe started this thread, so it's not mine, and I also see in post #6 of this thread where I said, "Can't wait to see what Mr. Master Negotiator is going to do next."

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

20. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't hate you. I'm laughing at you. You're scrambling from one thread to another scattering your prognostications and your gloom and doom willy nilly and when you put it all together , it really looks like you don't have a clue what 's going to happen, but it's going to be bad and it's all going to be Trump's fault. that's your real message.

But I'm still pretty sure you are glad Hillary is not president. Could be wrong about that, but I know you didn't want Trump either. Neither did I. But, as the lesser of 2 evils, I'm dealing with it and willing to give him a chance. You just can't seem to deal with it.

#20 carpro, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017