1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Michelle Obama

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by steaver, Jul 26, 2016.

1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, you are no longer denying that God commanded the slaughter of whole nations in the Old Testament, and that Christ is God, and therefore commanded the slaughter of whole nations in the Old Testament.

Good. We are making progress. Okay, now let's move to Christ's command in the New Testament.

Matthew 10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

Luke 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Romans 13:4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.

Well, that's enough for now. :D

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ISIS and other Islamic terrorist groups are a threat to civilization --not just Western Civilization. They have followed their textbooks to a T. They have been up to no good for 1,400 years. They do not respond to negation and mere talk. They want an Islamic world (even though they kill off their fellow Muslims at a phenomenal rate).
    I know you haven't a clue.

3. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Are you serious? What other facts do you want to know about the raping before you decide if you will fight for your wife or daughter?

4. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    At any cost. And, unfortunately, we can't win that war.

A friend of mine is a retired Army General (Chairman of the Joint Chiefs) and we were talking about jihad and how to counter it. He said that the radical jihadists had one rule of engagement. They will keep fighting until every infidel is either converted or dead.

The only way to win that war is to adopt the same rules of engagement, and we lack the resolve to do so.

The only other way is for the Islamic "moderates" to rise up and kill the jihadists, but they, too, lack the resolve to do so. And quite possibly, deep down on an emotional level, agree with the goals of the jihadists.

There is only one way for us to win this war. Nuke 'em 'til they glow, then shoot 'em in the dark.

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's been said that we are in a war. However, in a war their must be opposition. But it seems that the militants are the only ones waging war. We are passive.
    Indeed.
    Most Muslims around the world --and that includes those in America --support the Islamic agenda. What is the agenda? Kill the kafir or become a dhimmi.
    Agreed.

6. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "The only way?"
    How about preaching the gospel to them?

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

7. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christ in the NT would never approve of the slaughter of whole nations. That would contradict all his teachings on how we are to treat others, even our enemies.

Are you suggesting that Christ was wrong in his teachings?

9. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, you are claiming that either Christ is not God, or that one Person of the Trinity (God the Son) disagrees with another Person of the Trinity (God the Father)?

So you think God the Son Contradicts God the Father?

I am suggesting you don't have any understanding of the Godhead, the Old Testament, the New Testament, and how they perfectly compliment one another.

Are you saying these verses are wrong?

Matthew 10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

Luke 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Romans 13:4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.

10. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am saying that as God progressively revealed self that our understanding of how he wants us to treat others changed.

11. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So God changed? Do you think He lied in Malachi 3:6 when He said "For I am the LORD, I do not change?

12. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please stop playing games. As you said:
    "If a person cannot argue the issue he will usually try to argue the semantics. If he is too ignorant to argue

---------------------------------------------------------

God did not change, but as he revealed himself our understanding changed.

13. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So now you understand that God sinned by ordering the killing of the enemies of Israel? Is that this "superior understanding" you claim to have?

14. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Your words, not mine. I did not realize you thought it possible for God to sin.

Come on, please, stop playing silly games. Thanks.

15. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are the one saying God changed His standard of conduct and that what was okay in the Old Testament was now (according to you) a sin in the New Testament.

You can't have it both ways. You can't chop the bible up and pick and choose which parts you are going to believe.

And I can understand why you want me to stop pointing out the folly of your statements. You can't give an honest answer. Either God is a sinner or killing the enemies of God and His people was and is a just action in protection of His people.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Is there anyone on this board you don't end up in conflict with?

17. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What world are you living in? Jesus also told us we'd not be liked. We'd be mocked. He did come to bring peace but a word. Matt. 10:34. You modern liberals would rather sing kumbya and roast smores around a campfire.

18. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I said that man's understanding changed. Please read that line several times. Man and man's understanding changed. Read it carefully, man changed in his understanding of what God desires.

There you go again, resorting to personal attacks. Seems you indicated in your line about what the seminary president said about that type of person.

19. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, when the Old Testament says "Thus says the Lord" and God commands the slaughter of the Canaanites (Josh 6, 8, 10), it was just a misunderstanding? God didn't make himself clear?

Israel was commanded by God to completely exterminate the Canaanite inhabitants of the land including men, women, and children. Now, either God is a monster, or the extermination of the Canaanites was justified.

There is not a single verse in the New Testament where Jesus says, "Well, God made a mistake by not making Himself perfectly clear. He didn't really want you to exterminate the Canaanites. That was just an unfortunate misunderstanding."

In fact, Jesus said exactly the opposite. Christ clearly believed the Old Testament was God’s inspired Word, that it was accurate, historical, good and righteous, and that not even the smallest Hebrew letter or stroke of the letters of the Old Testament would pass away until all was fulfilled. For instance, He said in Matthew 5:17 “Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish, but to fulfill. 18 “For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass away from the Law, until all is accomplished.

So, did God fail to make Himself understood? Did Jesus lie about the law being good and righteous?

You can't have it both ways. So, why not admit what we all already know. You miss-spoke and now you are throwing up a lot of dust and dirt to try to hide the fact you miss-spoke.

Just admit it. Just say "Ooops. I made a mistake."

20. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope. You seem determined not to understand.

GOD DID NOT CHANGE. HE. SPOKE SUCH THAN MANKIND, IN ITS UNDERSTANDING AT THAT TIME COULD UNDERSTAND. AS GOD PROGRESSIVELY REVEALED SELF MAN GRADUALLY UNDERSTOOD MORE AND MORE WHAT HE, GOD, WANTED. GOD DID NOT CHANGE, MAN CHANGED. THE FULLEST REVELATION OF GOD. CAME. THROUGH THE LIFE AND TEACHINGS OF JESUS.