1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Military service

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Andy_S, Dec 7, 2011.

?
  1. Certainly, yes.

34 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Only if there is a genuine need

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No - military action can never be biblical

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everything was on OP until post # 24 - wonder who posted that?

I am trying to stay on OP - again if you want to go off OP, start a new thread, and I will be glad to participate , but on Andy's question from here on in I will stay on the OP.

From a military point of view, - oh forget it, you wouldn't understand

Don, do you think its time for Free to PCS or ETS?

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Sound a lot like off topic to me. Do you have a mirror?

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Because we were helping them to get rid of the enemy who was attacking their country. The enemy in Iraq were not the Iraqis but instead THEIR enemy. We were fighting FOR the Iraqis. They know it - too bad some of our own don't.

4. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Freeatlast- I've said it before and say it again. You need to make peace with whatever it is that has caused your hatred of the military and those who have served.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, Andy,

Any new thoughts on joining the Military?

Salty

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't think we can get an ETS for him; PCS would be acceptable, but would probably get red-lined....

7. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

I wouldn't do it for several reasons. First, I wouldn't ever ask for being put into a situation where I would have to take the life of another image-bearer simply because that person had the wrong uniform on. While I'm not a strict pacifist, war is a huge tragedy that is often avoidable.

Second, if there is such thing as a just war, I don't trust the leaders of this country to have the wisdom to discern it. Wouldn't trust George Bush or Barack Obama.

Third, I believe the honor bestowed upon military service is overblown and, at times, fabricated.

This is my personal conviction, but, in the end, you have to follow your conscience here. Best wishes and prayers as this is worked out in your life.

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Andy,

One thing about the Army - there is no typical day! You never know what will happen. When I was in Germany - you always dreaded the alert ( actually readiness test) but as professionals we did it so we would be prepared in the event the Russinas came thru the Fulda Gap.

Was it hard - yes - but I beleive I am a better person for having been thur those tough times.

The old Army commerical was "We do more by 9am than most people do all day long" :thumbsup:

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Yes and I told you before I do not hate the military, but I don't cover-up for them when they are involved in evil either as you and some others do.

10. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So there I was, finishing up one of my sessions with the Afghan general in his office, and me and my interpreter, Nik, were getting ready to leave; when in walks another Afghan in a uniform I hadn't seen before. He walks up to the general and they greet each other, and then talk to my interpreter. Nik tells me, "this is the general's friend from the presidential staff." I say, "that's cool, one of President Karzai's staff. Glad to meet you." Nik interprets, and then the general and his friend say something, and all three of them laugh. I nudge Nik and say, "come on, Nik, I want to laugh, too." Nik says, "sorry; he said he's here to talk to the general about the cup tot." I look at Nik, then I look at the general, and then I turn back to Nik: "The what?" Nick says, "the cup tot." I look at the general and his friend again, trying to figure out what that could possibly mean, and I finally turn back to Nik: "Nik, that's not translating correctly. What's a 'cup tot'?" Nick says, "You know, that thing where they overthrow the government?" I stare at Nik and finally say, "You mean 'coup d'etat'?" So then I politely laugh, and nervously tell Nik, "we have to leave."

Now, I know they were just kidding around, like we do sometimes when we talk about bosses we hate, and things like that. But then a month or so later, the "annual" massive attacks around Kabul started, and as I was putting on my body armor and heading to the bunkers, I couldn't help thinking: "I sure hope this ain't the cup tot...."

So Andy, like Salty says: It's an adventure. But pray hard, and make sure it's the adventure God has in store for you. For each funny story like the one above, I could tell at least five others that aren't funny at all.

Praying that God will give you guidance and wisdom.

11. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Would TDY be a more gracious approach? :)

12. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, I wouldn't ever ask for being put into a situation where I would have to take the life of another image-bearer simply because that person had the wrong uniform on.

Nor would any of us. However, in a combat situation it's either you or them. When you enemy aligns himself up with your front sight and your rear sight you squeeze the trigger or else, empty a clip.

Some street thug (my enemy) starts kicking my door down at 2:30 AM he's getting the Mossburg right up close and personal. ...take your script and buy a sword.

13. Andy_S

Andy_S Member

Thanks for opinions all but, oo-er, I think the thread has become a little derailed! Didn't intend to start any arguments.

14. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Didn't intend to start any arguments.

Arguments? No arguments. Consider those in opposition.

Consider also the actions of Sgt. Alvin York in WW I. I can't think of that guy in WW II from Georgia who was an objector (7th Day Adventist) to war but went anyway and came out a hero saving many lives as amedic. There are hundreds more who answered the call of their country and served faithfully.

War is a part of the way things are in a sin cursed world and there is no way around it. Armageddon? Blood up to the horses bridal? ...there is no way around it.

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look, FAL doesn't have all the facts neither can he or most of the general public.

Though I saw no combat I know full well what our enemies have planned for us having been in an Intelligence and Information USAF AB wing and that was in the 60's!! I wish I could say more.

e.g. Here is something that can be said as it has been made public by a "leak" of "Dirty Bombs".

Found online in the Public Domain at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...iLeaks-al-Qaeda-is-planning-a-dirty-bomb.html

If Al-Qaeda can get a dirty bomb into America then a full fledged nuclear bomb is also a possibilty.

Al-Qaeda, Taliban and all other Arab-Islamic terrorist groups and many non-arabic moslem groups want nothing better than to kill us and any other peoples who will not subcribe to their religion of death.

It's been that way for centuries before America became a nation.

But because America is in their estimation a "christian" nation, they would without a twinge of conscience nuke every city in America had they the means and the opportunity. 9-11 proved that.

It has ONLY to do with the fact that we do not worship their deity nor reverence their prophet.

Add to that the fact that because we played a principle role in establishing Israel as a modern nation for the holocaust survivors in 1947 their hatred has been inflammed against us to the level of blood-lust.

There have been cultural groups in Iraq (and Iran) that have always has been part of that islamic menu.

Personally, I believe Iraq will again become part of the Great Jihad which is presently ramping up due to the "Arab Spring" (among other events).

They are just biding their time until we leave, then the wheels of Jihad will again begin to slowly grind.

It is my conviction that sooner or later after being aligned (less than a real alliance) with Russia (yes, that's right, Russia "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" who in reality hate us just as much as Al-Qaeda), the Arabian-Persian Great Jihad will come to America's soil with more than just box-cutters.

9-11 proved that where there is a will there is a way.
    They are relentless.

HankD

#55 HankD, Dec 13, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  16. th1bill

th1bill Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Andy,
    I´m a war veteran and a Christian. I came from a very rough background and i will tell you that the military is the only reason that I did not go to prison. Lying and stealing were normal in my youth. My mother did thirteen sentences and my older brother did a few years for a hold up.

When I enlisted in the Army all of my life turned 180 degrees. I had intended to do thirty years but after seeing so many of my men die in a war we did not intend to win because the politicians would not allow it, so I gave my eight years up and became a business creator/owner. If I had not served, I would have been, just one more name on the roll in a prison.

I cannot speak strongly enough about what the military does to make men out of teen-agers. Join, but understand from the beginning that you are putting you life in harm´s way.

17. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    th1bill, I've talked with a lot of Marines years ago who told of being given an option by a Judge. Time, or the Marine Corps. If they chose the Corps the recruiter was standing in the back of the court room. Turned 'em around.

18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about TDY to 7thARMY BNOC?
    I heard the trainees dread the "AUTOBAHN"

That program ended about 1971 - as the Vietnam was was coming to a close.