1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Military to Prosecute GI's for Sharing Faith?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Jedi Knight, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Proselytizing is in the eye of the beholder.

A simple "our church is having a free dinner tomorrow night, would you like to come" might be too much for someone.

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think of in terms of a 3x5 card with "Calvary Baptist Church is having a Memorial Day Picnic at 1330 Monday. All service members are invited." posted on the Post Chapel's bulletin board.

3. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps a trial balloon to test the public response!

Further action to be determined by the public outcry, or lack thereof?!:confused::rolleyes:

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which is a very good point. So it is possible that someone in the Military could be prosecuted because of claims from militants like Mikey for little to no reason.

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is what I am concerned about.

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ... After a series of speakers addressed those gathered at the Cannon Office Building, U.S. Coast Guard Rear Adm. William D. Lee, took the microphone to represent Americans serving in the military. Lee told the crowd he had 10 minutes of carefully prepared remarks, but he decided to leave them in his chair and “speak from the heart” instead. Lee, who described himself as “a man of deep abiding faith who happens to wear a uniform,” went on to defy any efforts to stop military personnel from openly sharing their Christian faith—a topic sparking widespread controversy in the media this week. (See “Religious battle lines" by Edward Lee Pitts.)

Lee mentioned last year’s record high number of military suicides, 349—roughly one per day—and said every 65 minutes a military veteran will take his or her own life. “I want you to remember that number,” he said.

He recounted a recent meeting with a 24-year-old soldier who had attempted suicide but survived his self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. Lee said when he heard the man’s story, he knew the rules said he should send the man to a chaplain, but his heart said to give him a Bible.

“The lawyers tell me that if I do that, I’m crossing the line,” Lee said. “I’m so glad I’ve crossed that line so many times.”

Lee pledged not to back down from “my right under the Constitution to tell a young man that there is hope.”

Lee received several standing ovations during his brief remarks. He requested prayer for Christian military personnel to “weather the storm that I am almost certain will come.”

http://www.worldmag.com/2013/05/rear_admiral_vows_to_continue_sharing_faith

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Was this man ever reprimanded for doing what he did? If not, what's the issue? He is allowed to do what he did.

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the "Just for your information" department - Rear Adm. William D. Lee is in the Coast Guard, which currently is in the Dept of Homeland Security. NOT Dep of Defense- (unless directed by the POTUS)
    However they are subject to the UCMJ - so they are, but are not military.

I did a quick goggle - did not find anything....

#48 Salty, May 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2013
  9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ann you need to read all the info. The question here is not the long standing position but the recent meeting the Pentagon had with a militant atheist on this issue to give new consideration to this policy.

And with the recent statements given such as:

There is a problem because those two words mean exactly the same thing.

There is no difference here. It appears this is another game of "it all depends on what is, is".

#49 Revmitchell, May 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2013
  10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

See, I see a big difference. One is forcing, the other is offering.

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where in those definitions is it different. Where in those definitions does it say anything about forcing anyone.

12. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

The Guy Is A SNAKE

O'Reilly (Who I'm NOT a big fan of) had this Weinstein guy on "the Factor" last night and I have never heard so much double-talk in all my life. The man is a 1st class godless SNAKE who hates God and everybody that loves God. See their website here: Military Religious Freedom Foundation - Protecting the Constitutional Guarante (Read Weinstein's two-line "statement of faith" just below the Title Line on his homepage) This guy is slicker than hog-snot on a door knob. He will now benefit even more from the publicity that O'Reilly and FNC have given him ( and he will "spin" it in his favor.

Bro.Greg:saint:

13. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

How Can You Be SO Certain?

Ann ...you know as well I do that essentially speaking...even though we may get somewhat "forceful" in our witnessing because of the sometimes confrontational nature of it (it IS a basically one-on-one activity that by it's nature seeks "to convert" others to OUR faith)....we can't actually FORCE anyone to believe anything. The intent of Weinstein and his ilk is to completely "squelch" the conversation altogether...and all though they won't openly or willingly admit it...most of their effort to silence "religious discourse" in the military is aimed at EVANGELISTIC Bible-believing Christians who see it as their commanded duty to fulfill the Great Commission of the Lord Jesus Christ. They(Weinstein and the MRFF) are simply doing what they feel empowered to do by the current leftist agenda of the godless administration that is in political power in this country. Obama and his ilk have "changed the game" and the atheist vultures are circling overhead. The only real blessings left to this country now are the remnant of God-fearing, Bible-Believing through which the truth is still being preached. As we advance towards the already predicted cycle of events of the end-times things are only going to get worse for this sin-soaked world. That's not the happy,happy,joy,joy feel-good message most want to hear these days....but it is the truth. I, for one, take great hope in it because it means that we are nearer than ever before for our ultimate deliverance. Jesus must be coming soon and it is in THAT that I hope! Satan is raging...but God is and always shall be IN CONTROL. Look UP! Do asa the Bible says...."set your affections on things ABOVE...."!

Bro.Greg:saint:

14. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

15. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a former Coastie, I regret to say you're wrong. The USCG is most definitely a branch of the US military. Yes, most of the time it's housed in a department other than the DoD (first the Treasury, then Transportation, now DHS) . In time of war it comes under the Navy much like the USMC. FYI, there were Coast Guard cutters deployed to Persian Gulf off Iraq on anti-smuggling patrols. By not being under the DoD, the Coast Guard Commandant was able to pre-deploy CG helicopters for Katrina.

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats like saying the SBC are not Independent Baptist - they are, but they are not.

Not disagreeing with you - Coasties just might be in the twilight zone :smilewinkgrin: but most are still subject to the UCMJ

17. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    All Coast Guardsmen are subject to the UCMJ, from the rawest recruit to the Commandant himself. As for being military, I have a CG DD214 and an American Legion membership to prove it. It's been that way since the founding of the Revenue Marine in 1790 by Alexander Hamilton.