1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Missouri Baptists Announce Diversity Grant Program

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jerome, Sep 28, 2011.

1. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I was responding to gotochurch.

2. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

This is what cracks me up and needs to be addressed as it is just plain ignorant.

First, the issue is what the Bible says. Saying that we are upset by who a church calls is less than honest. If God clearly calls for men to be Elders, then we should be discouraged that churches disobey God's command, just as we should be. You seem to justify stereotyping our view, thus you seem to be no better than fundamentalists.

Secondly, for those who just stereotype those in opposition as fundamentalists shows radical ignorance of church history, modern theology, and tremendous nuances. Yet, I believe this ignorance is on purpose by some of the leaders in the CBF and other liberal organizations. Some of their followers on this list, spout ignorantly a lie. This is a form of a ad hominem attack and resembles one of the reasons I reject fundamentalism... and why I think liberals are worse. They refuse to engage in solid exegetical reasoning, give into modernism, and still stereotype those who disagree with them by trying to paint them in a corner with their irrational labeling with legalistic criteria for acceptability that is built as much on moralism as the fundy's.

Finally, the issue is the Bible and what the Bible says. When my wife was younger, her Pastor tried to get her to become a Pastor. Through study of God's Word, my wife became convinced that women were not supposed to be a Pastor. She was flattered and seriously considered going into the Pastorate. However, she rejected the idea not because she was a fundamentalist, but because of her study of God's Word.

3. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

Fascinating!

4. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My attitude is just fine. I'm not attacking anyone, I'm not the one being told to go to "better" church and having my belief in scripture questioned.

It is interesting that you consider calling out actions that are fundamentalist in nature as having a bad attitude and being ugly.

5. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

You aren't attacking anyone? May I remind you of the post of yours that I responded to?

That's not attacking? You throw "fundamentalist" around like it is some type of demonic activity. I and other fundamentalist take it as an attack when you say "kicking, dividing, demonizing and destroying". Yes, it is having an attitude and it is ugly.

So, yes I responded in kind with an attitude and ugly words. Your a scripture distorting liberal. Deal with it.

6. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Liberal like Jesus and loving every minute of it! Praise God the bondage of fundamentalism no longer holds me in its grips.

It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Galatians 5:1
    The Holy Bible, Today’s New International Version

7. sag38

sag38 Active Member

oh you forgot to your addition to the scripture. "In addition, insult anyone and everybody who does not fit into your definition of "freedom.""

8. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

I would agree that Jesus was liberal but only in the context of his culture. Equating Jesus to modern liberalism is placing onto Jesus a socio-economic-political ideology that Jesus never endorsed, strongly opposed, and/or is theologically inconsistent.

9. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Did you even read what I said? Try again it might take this time.

10. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

You might try reading further in the thread where I admitted that I had likely misread and apologized for jumping to conclusions.

11. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

This just proves you are not the only one who occasionally errs. My apologies.:wavey: