1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured More Words Hard to Translate

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Mar 28, 2021.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks. I shouldn't have assumed it was always "glory."

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looks like Revelation 3:9 might be one exception, according to how one interprets the verse.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The KJV often translates προσκυνέω as "worship" and often as "bow" or "bow down" (but I don't have numbers on this observation.) I'd say this should have been "bow down" in this verse. In many cultures, especially Asian, simply to bow is not worship but respect.

4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 18:26 !

5. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And then there are the addresses Your/His/Her Worship and The (Right) Worshipful.

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Gospel Coalition ❧  Etymology of ‘Worship’

"Our first difficulty is that ‘worship’ is an English word translating Hebrew and Greek expressions. Moreover, in discussions of the subject it is generally overlooked that the English word has itself undergone radical development. Since it was first used in translation, ‘worship’ has acquired a semantic range quite different from its own original meaning. That this is so can be seen in some surviving English archaisms. Judges are still called ‘Your worship’ and we still have a few ‘worshipful companies’, yet the term has no religious significance in these contexts. Again, the statement in the marriage service of 1549, ‘With my body I thee wurship’...seems very peculiar now."

"The Shorter Oxford English Dictionary states that until the early seventeenth century ‘worship’ was commonly used to denote ‘respect or honour shown to a person or thing’. It quotes Jonathan Swift’s acid comment that a certain woman was ‘as fine as Fi’pence; but truly, I thought, there was more Cost than Worship’. However, by the early eighteenth century the term was being used more exclusively to refer to religious ceremonies and by the middle of that century its use in a secular context was evidently becoming rare. Today, of course, ‘worship’ is not merely an almost exclusively religious term but has acquired additional connotations"

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good point. Thank you. The Greek word for "worship" there is proskuneo, meaning simply to bow down, not necessarily what we think of as worship. But you are right about the KJV.

8. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OED:

"the more cost, the more worship and variants: the greater the expenditure on something, the more it is appreciated. more cost than worship and variants: more expense or effort than something is worth. Obs. (English regional in later use)"