1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured My journey away from contemporary worship music

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Revmitchell, Nov 9, 2014.

1. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A most excellent evaluation of the --??--style/content"!!!

May be a trite point for some, but for some, me included, I am totally turned OFF by these obvious - to me anyway - feministic adulations to Christ/Jesus/God.

Perhaps it has something to do with the last many years of male bashing & trying to get him to find "his" feminine side that these type lyrics are so --??!!--.:BangHead:

2. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a women I also find the 'Jesus is my boyfriend' type songs also off putting and disturbing. Now I will say I don't think its the age of the song that makes it good or not (since I can think of a fairly popular hymn that is a boyfriend type song) but it is the content that I think is important when looking at songs for singing in church.

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the Garden?

I also don't like those types of songs (not "In the Garden"...I like that one).....BTW and for what it's worth, I'd also feel uncomfortable if our pastor read through the Song of Solomon :eek:

#43 JonC, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2014
  4. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

My pastor really prefers the older songs. He often refers to the modern "praise and worship" songs as 7-11 songs: you sing the same 7 verses 11 times.

Our church uses mostly older songs, but the youth choir does sing some more modern songs and we do certain arrangements. One of the girls at church sings Amazing Grace to me playing House of the Rising Sun on guitar.

My favorite City Harmonic song is Holy (Wedding Day). It doesn't have five deeply theological verses, but instead the message and the music just work for me. (I also first heard it during my grandfather's long illness that eventually led to his passing. I can't help but imagine him as part of the bride waiting on that wedding day.