1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured My journey away from contemporary worship music

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Revmitchell, Nov 9, 2014.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes! That has happened to me as well. Not a good feeling to discover you are disliking the Bible because it's being sung instead of read.

I do like the classic hymns but there are good examples of CCM worship songs. I would say Delirious' "Can You Feel the Mountains Tremble" is one of them.

#21 InTheLight, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2014
  2. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Manifesto - by The City Harmonic

Absolutely awesome

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was it a Psalm or just a small part of a Psalm.

4. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    THe Getty's are far from theological sound, it's a shame for one to use their music when they are so ecumenical.

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

If I remember correctly, a Psalm. It may, however, have been a portion. I didn't pay much attention at first, and now can't remember the psalm.

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know that a lot of ccm or praise songs will take a verse of a Psalm and make it the basis for the entire song. While they have used scripture it is theologically shallow.

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have also heard some songs I thought a bit shallow (theologically)...and to include older music as well. What I am speaking of in terms of CCM worship music that I am growing to like (and I know many will disagree) are songs like this:

http://www.songlyrics.com/aaron-keyes/psalm-62-lyrics/

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I listen to some of it. I like a lot of Casting Crowns music and Newsboys. Newsboys recently released and album with all hymns done in their style. I have no appreciation for 7/11 songs.

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Occasionally we sing hymns but to a slightly more contemporary melody (tune...whatever, I'm not a music guy). I've come to really appreciate that type of music. Casting Crowns has always been one of my favorites (not necessarily as church worship music). I also have not appreciation for "7/11 songs." They remind me of ceremonially repeating a prayer, but thankfully we don't sing them....often.

What I do find difficult is the turnover in music. Rarely do we sing a song enough for the congregation to truly acquire it. It seems that we are often trying to remember words to new songs (or keep up with it on the screen) and they never "sink in." It is not like the older songs that we knew by heart; that we sung from our hearts in worship; that became to a point a part of us. For the most part, we now sing to keep up and gather what ever bits we can catch...but ultimately this doesn't matter because next year those songs will have been replaced anyway.

I wish my 11 year old son knew songs like "It is Well," "A Mighty Fortress is our God," etc. I wish he knew the songs that his father, grandfather, and great grandfather loved. But most of the kids his age know no worship songs by heart because they change so often. They get the tunes, they get the chorus, and then they get a new song to learn. I suppose to many music no longer holds the importance it once held in churches; it is no longer an anchor not only to our past but also as a means to convey theological truths to draw upon in our future. Anyway, I like much of our contemporary music. I only wish we could hold on to more of the traditional hymns as well.

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Nope. They were always 2000 years old. ;)

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

ROTFL - I guess you've never listened to their hymns then.

Can you tell me one of their songs that not theologically sound?

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :applause::laugh:

13. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It must be true!! I just read it on the internet!! :thumbsup:

14. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

You can sing contemporary music in the most fundamental of churches. You just have to call it a chorus.

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very true - but you sing that chorus 11 times.

16. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does any of your churches sing any of the psalms? By that, I mean a psalm all the way through (not a chorus from a psalm), and not psalms only. I mean in addition to hymns, do any of you sing one of the psalms ever?

I have been to churches that are psalms only, and they are enriching, but I am interested in any input on this?

Thanks in advance

Bill

17. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Saw a cartoon where two guys are talking. One asked the other, "What do you do for a living?"
    The other replied,
    "I write worship songs,
    I write worship songs,
    I write worship songs,
    I write worship songs,
    I write worship songs,
    I write worship songs."
    :laugh::D:eek:

18. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A friend of mine is a worship minister for a church in Norfolk, VA and he was telling me that he along with his contemporaries have found the position to be increasingly stressful as these debates continue to run their usual course through churches around the country. I've often found the traditional vs. contemporary sniping to be very petty and divisive. If you go into the service with your heart ready to worship God, things will probably turn out just fine.

19. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Nothing wrong with varying taste in music as long as you respect the other guy has as much right to his taste as you do.

My grandchild and I did have our hearts prepared for worship last Sunday. Both of us about gagged on just one song in the entire CCM service.

Sorry guys, but an all male praise team breathily groaning how they long for that warm embrace was....off putting.

We are females, and most of the females joined in the singing, but the rest of the men in the church went silent in a hurry.

20. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Case in point.