My still unanswered question about music.....

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Molly, Apr 25, 2002.

1. ScottEmerson Active Member

If a person views such types of worship as performances than it doesn't matter whether you clap or not. The point has been missed.

2. christine New Member

The applause is a show of agreement with what has been sung, not necessarily to reward or praise the person singing.

3. dianetavegia Guest

Scott, We just called a new Student/ Youth Minister full time. He's a very gung ho man in his mid 30's. I'm sure we'll see a big growth in our youth because of that and would never want to make the youth not feel welcome!

I do like many of the new praise songs. I have a number of the CD's and play them while I do my house work. I guess it's the songs that have no reference to Christ that concern me... and the REALLY loud stuff where we can't understand any of the words. I kept the toddlers one Sunday night and the music was SO loud that the children had a hard time hearing my 'story'. I was 4 doors down a long hallway!

Thanks so much for sharing how your church handles this. Our son and his wife are early 30's. Scott plays the drums and Sandra is part of the praise team as a singer/ tambourine player in their contemporary service.

Diane

4. ScottEmerson Active Member

That is perhaps the BIGGEST thing in youth ministry. If the students know that they will feel welcome in a ministry no matter what they look like or feel like, they will allow themselves to be changed by God in awesome ways!

I agree with you to a point. If we can't understand the words, why sing them? If the songs do not refer to Christ or God, we don't sing them, either. Of course, we like cranking the volume up every now and then. The kids like it, too (and they end up just singing louder!)

Thanks! I'm 24 years old, and I recognize I have a lot to learn about, well, the whole world. What I do know is this: God wants a people who are free to worship Him. He wants a people who are excited about coming into His presence and glorifying His name.

Diane
    [/QUOTE]