1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

National Day of Prayer Struck Down in Federal Court

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Chessic, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Don't play dumb. You can scroll up.

2. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

I see no posts above yours. What is your question?

3. sag38

sag38 Active Member

So you need a government to encourage you to pray. I don't need that kind of nanny state.

He doesn't want a National Day of Prayer but he wants free health care for all and thousands of jobs lost and taxes raised through capp and trade legislation to keep the myth of global warming alive and well. Some of us have a very different understanding of what a nanny state is.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Really? Do you not support every other liberal nanny state position that Obama throws out. While it is clear you oppose it to use the term nanny state seems disingenuous considering all the actual nanny state policies you support.

Anyway this will be overturned

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Were you too busy attending Stalin in his illness then?
    Yes or No: Did Madison, the primary author of the constitution, issue prayer proclamations?

But you do need a nanny state to 'encourage' you to get health insurance or put the bite on the taxpayers?
    What else do you need this nanny state for?

6. rbell

rbell Active Member

Funny how some can't tell the difference between "asked" and "forced." Funny how some confuse the first amendment's "establishment clause" with the concept of "God can never, ever be mentioned or acknlowledged; the government must completely sanitize any reference of God. Ever."

MP, there's nothing mandatory here. Even the most illiterate among us knows that God was constantly referenced in the writings and workings of the Founding Fathers.

Your opinion is, simply, wrong. Argue for it all you want...but wishing the United States to go through a cleansing of all things religious, spiritual, theological...wow. I can't believe a believer wouldn't see the danger in this line of action.

Amazing.

7. rbell

rbell Active Member

"Separating" and "sanitizing" are two completely different concepts. You've chosen the wrong one to agree with.

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

This does point out a glaring inconsistency in MP's line of posts.

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

On January 1, 1795, George Washington used these words to call for a national day of prayer and fasting–already a well-established tradition in the young nation. (courtesy of The Presidential Prayer Team)

" It is in an especial manner our duty as a people, with devout reverence and affectionate gratitude, to acknowledge our many and great obligations to Almighty God, and to implore Him to continue to confirm the blessings we experienced. Deeply penetrated with this sentiment, I, George Washington, President of the United States, do recommend to all religious societies and denominations, and to all persons whomsoever within the United States, to set apart and observe Thursday, the 19th day of February next, as a day of public thanksgiving and prayer, and on that day to meet together and render sincere and hearty thanks to the great Ruler of nations for the manifold and signal mercies which distinguish our lot as a nation…"

Found Here

10. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Considering that this group won against a case depending on our justice department for its defense...... I really do wonder what kind of brillance and determination actually does exist in the justice department to make a successful appeal for the recognition of a day which calls all people of all religions to pray or meditate for the leaders of their country and its welfare.

To classify this as a holiday is rather excessive, however, as noone that I'm aware is given holiday leave or pay because of it.

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

While I disagree with the ruling in its interpretation of constitutionality, I don't see how it cause a dilemma for believers at all in the light of Romans 13. Perhaps you could explain why there would be a conflict.

I have never supported government declared days of prayer. I think the state should keep their hands off the church and its people. I don't treat national; days of prayer differently from any other day and this ruling will not affect that. These things are hardly Christian declarations anyway. The merely mention 'prayer' and some innocuous concept of deity.

BTW the White House Twitter feed this week said that the president would declare the day of prayer again, but I did not follow up on it so don't know the details.

#31 NaasPreacher (C4K), Apr 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2010
  12. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

C4K....I'm with you on this one.....

While there may be some who decide to actively protest this decision..... where does Romans 13 fit in? It really doesn't.

As far as the National Day of Prayer... in my area, anyway, the ones who participated in it were mainly the 'church' crowd which one may see at similar rallies concerning moral and political issues.... primarily 'Christian' ...... and the elected officials who wanted to be recognized or identified by that 'church' crowd. I think once there was a Rabbi who lead in a prayer.... and sometimes the local Catholic church has entered a representative.... or the Mormon church has sent a representative..... but, excepting for the Rabbi.... most of the 'general population' present considered the others as equals among 'Christians'.... therefore, it is largely a day recognized openly by the 'Christian' community, than a day celebrated (publicly that is) by peoples of other religions. Come to think of it..... I think I did attend once where one person lead in a prayer to 'a goddess' and mentioned the earth and nature: I do not know how many in the crowd she represented.... as most of whom I saw I recognized as part of the 'Christian' community..... but everyone was respectful. In all of the ones which I've attended.... not all that many really, there's always been a series of prayers interspersed with reading and any recognition of presence given to those elected officials of local, state, and federal levels of government... with the federal broken into each of the separate branches recognizing their powers and duties so between 8-10 prayers might be lead by religious representatives from within the community. The more diverse the representation.... the more reluctant those seem to be who would pray 'in the name of Jesus'. Last year there was a poorer showing of community.... but still a nice group .....and quite a few local officials present.... and most prayers were opened or closed in the name of Jesus.

If it is a 'holiday' important to the Christian community.... I would imagine that the Christian community will continue its celebration without fanfare...... until someone decides to insist upon permits for public assembly..... or cite for disturbance of the peace... or picket. I guess that is when we will discover and prove just how important is this concept of praying for our country..... and publicly demonstrating to the community of this need.

Perhaps, with less 'official' endorsement.... the insincere, including officials, will fall away, and leave the remnant which may be more faithful. It may be interesting to see if organization will still take lead... or if it will depend on local interest and whether or not there's a jockeying for positions and recognition.... or a spiritual move of a voluntary prayer chain offered briefly by individuals yielding to one another.

13. billwald

billwald New Member

The entire issue is silly as it has no legal implications either way. If I was the President I would put out a press release, "I'm not allowed to declare that mm/dd/yy shall be a national day of prayer."

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm, do you think the libs are giving some good publicity for the National Day of Prayer?

If so, thank you