1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Need Soul-Winning Advice

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Nicolaus Mourer, Aug 7, 2018.

1. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And to not derail the OP--I want us to be reminded that success is in obedience...remember the parable?

“A farmer went out to sow his seed. 4 As he was scattering the seed...

We are simply called to scatter seed--cast it everywhere. Why would a farmer throw it in rocks or on the beaten path or in the midst of thorns? Because you never know when it may land on good soil and produce fruit...so keep casting the seed everywhere!

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can try this, my people love it.

3 Circles: Life Conversation Guide | Life on Mission

• Like Like x 2
  3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a good friend, college buddy, who knew that I was saved and gave him a bible, books to read, wove into our discussion hit and miss basis second coming, Jesus is Lord, Go can save youy etc... Not forced on him, but when felt led by the Spirit to do such... Lots of prayers also for God to open his eyes to the truth...
    Went on over 20 year period, he moved away from Mi, heard back from him last year, and informed me now Christian....

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen, praise God! Definitely one healthy aspect of evangelism. thanks for sharing!

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also had ny father, who was not saved by the Lord until a few days before he passed away at age 88, and he had severe dementia, so when he was lucid he was witnessed to and the Lord saved him right then and there. He knew of my salvation, and when we met for Christmas and other family get togethers, gave him pamphlets, prayed with him, shared when i could....That salvation took over 30 years to happen.
    Reminds me of George Mueller, man of great faith in England, who raised a up and supported orphans with just "faithwill offerings", and he talked and prayed for his close frimed for entire saved life, and his friemd received jesus when he saw Mueller being buried in his casket in the ground! Long term evangelosm...

6. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    here's another reality--

Us door knocking and sharing the Good news of Jesus Christ might be answered prayer for someone who isn't able to get to their loved one. Always be willing and intentional my brothers and sisters!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've had some experience know a little bit more what works. I also have to cold-call at my job. I won't claim to be perfect, but no one seems to have listed any advice like this, so I will.

First, forget about knocking on a door, it opening and being able to share the good news. It might, maybe, possibly happen. But you definitely shouldn't be expecting it to happen.

Second, don't make Baptists look bad, by lying and starting the conversation about something else and trying to sneak the "Gospel" in there. Christians should not act like Satan and try to trick people into listening to the Gospel.

Third, you need to know how to do this correctly.

1. Smile. If you can't smile big don't bother knocking.

2. After a person answers the door, you introduce yourself and give your full name. Also give your affiliation and title associated with your visit. You are at the entryway of their home. If you can't be polite enough to give your full name, you are nothing but a telemarketer.

3. Announce why you chose their home or apartment to knock on. Why did you choose this door? Be honest. This should be a single sentence.

4. In a single sentence (maybe two) invite them to the church or whatever shindig you want to invite them to. This is where you can hand them a flyer if you want.

5. Then say something along the lines of "If you don't have any questions, I'll be moving on. I hope to see you there." This is the opening for person lead by the spirit to stop you and ask for more.

Additional comments.

You don't just have the option of inviting people to church. You can also just offer them a housewarming gift if you know they are new to the neighborhood.

Keep your eyes on their face. Look them eye-to-eye. Do not look past them into their home. Make sure you are a few feet back from the door! in plain sight. Do not look in windows to see if anyone is home.

If someone rejects you, don't go back. If you go back, you've just become a stalker.

Don't litter. Don't leave flyers at the house when they're not home.

If a child answers the door, ask if a parent is available. If no adult is available, leave.

Especially in Texas, don't visit anytime when the Sun is setting or down.

Leave you children at home.

Dress and groom for success.

You may need to learn some Spanish.

People may ask where you live. If you aren't willing to give out this information, door-knocking is not for you. I haven't had anyone demand an exact address, but you should be willing to say which neighborhood you live in at the least.

I know there are British here and they are quite quaint. However, their culture is not American culture and definitely not Texas culture.

Marty

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is the biblical basis for that method/message? I don't think you are going to find anyone using that question.

Do you have a gospel for the vast majority of people who are going to live tomorrow, or is it all about things that happen after death?

What in that question calls people into discipleship to Christ? Certainly, you can talk about it later, but you have opened the conversation by stating that your message is all about death.

• Like Like x 1
  9. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What would you suggest?

10. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think what may have been overlooked here is that the OP is asking about door knocking/cold calling. Knocking on the doors of people you don't know and they don't know you.

Those who have replied negatively have not suggested refusing to share our faith. Just that cold calling may not be very effective.

I spent 45 years in active ministry, 27 years as Senior Pastor of the same church in San Diego. In that area cold calling just does not work. We tried. We got nothing.

So we looked at the great commission (novel idea). In Mark 16:15 we read "He said to them, “Go into all the world, and preach the Good News to the whole creation.""

Well, we certainly could not go to all the world by knocking on doors in our neighborhood. So we sat down and talked about going into the world. What world? Well, our world. And we found that we could reach our world.

1. Our family world. (Those who live with us or are related to us.)
    2. Our friend's world. (Those we know and spend time with.)
    3. Our neighbor's world. (Those who live nearby who we see and acknowledge on a regular basis.)
    4. Our working world. (The people we work with.)
    5. Our playing world. (The people we golf with, bowl with, play basketball with, etc.)
    6. Our school world. (Those we go to school with. One deacon said he left school 40 years ago. Another deacon, a CHP trooper, said "What about your having to attend traffic school last week to void a speeding ticket!" :) )
    7. Our hobby world. (Those we share leisure time interests with.)

And many many other examples of "our world."

And if we win, baptize, and disciple all of the above, then go cold calling. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus and His disciples used many methods, but they were all essentially based around “repent, for the Kingdom of God is at hand.”

“Repent” - recognize that there is a better way and reorient yourself to a new way of life.

“The Kingdom of God is at hand” - God is reigning and providing grace and authority here in our midst.

To do this effectively, the evangelist must be engaged in the Kingdom (living under the authority and grace of Christ, and exercising authority to call others to faith).

12. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what does that look like when I'm talking to the cashier at Walmart and I have 5 min

13. terrpn

terrpn Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good post and I totally agree.

Since I am disabled in a chair and cannot go door knocking I go street preaching.

Usually these days I am, we sre who present the gospel publicly are berated as bigots, nazi’s , supremists and so on.

Even in the old days it was not uncommon to get spit on.

If I get the chance to engage I usually start out asking what, who they are trusting to get them to heaven. You find out real quick in what they believe in and go there- presenting scripture to show where they are wrong and what the Bible says is my typical mo. They can argue with me, but if they can read it themselves is different.

Most times from experience whether door knocking, street preaching, etc. people think you rather are trying to get them to join your church or put another notch on your gun stock?

Good luck with educated people.......they are the hardest and very philosophical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It can look like just about anything, but a surefire icebreaker for many people is to just make the uncontroversial observation that the world is messed up. It is not as it should be. People do horrible things to other people and it seems our planet is in trouble.

When they agree with that, often with observations of their own, tell them that you don’t give up hope because you know there is coming a day when God is going to sort everything out, hold people accountable for the evil that they have done and the good they refuse to do - both people from the past and present, for everyone living and dead will stand before God. He will also restore the earth and those who will be able to handle it will get to live in peace and harmony with God, each other and the world, forever. Those who want nothing of this new world and would be uncomfortable in the presence of goodness will pass away.

At that point, you will likely get some looks, but that message will resonate with many because it hits out deepest longings.

Then say that when Jesus walked the earth He called people to join Him in His world of setting the world right - we call those people students or disciples. Jesus is still calling disciples to walk with Him to make themselves and others ready for the day when He will eliminate evil and finish the job of putting the world right again.

At that point, you can introduce some appropriate scripture and set up a time for further discussion.

What you have done is brought a vision of the kingdom before them and given them a new way of thinking about the world that opens the door for repentance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. FollowTheWay

FollowTheWay Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would suggest simply being nice to everyone you come into contact with no matter what their race or religious background. Say good morning to people you pass in the street. Progress from this to asking them how they're doing and eventually what are their concerns. I've found that to be effective in sharing the gospel you must first establish a relationship with the other person. Meet them where they're at and don't assume you know where that is based on their appearance, etc. Listen seriously to what they have to say. Eventually they will feel comfortable in sharing things with you that are significant to them like I just lost my job or I'm troubled about the lack of meaning in my life. If they belong to another faith respect that. Then share your personal experiences in which your faith has helped you in tough times especially those that are similar to theirs.

Do NOT lead with "If you're not a Christian you're going to Hell." Demonstrate to them that you care about them because they are also God's children. I was going to a college football game once on a hot day. A m,an was standing on a soapbox Preaching that we were all going to Hell. I went up and told him he was doing a tremendous amount of damage to the KIngdom of God by doing that and that simply offering a bottle of cold water in Jesus' name would be a far better approach.

Notice that this is not a short nor a simple pre-packaged process. It does not lend itself to cold calls at night. Buit this is the approach that jesus took' first learning about a ,person's situation and demonstrating that you want to help them. (Of course, He already knew that but he's God and we're not.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the words of Bill Faye--"Success is in being obedient." The Holy Spirit is the "Soul-winner"--We are called to deliver a message to a broken and fallen world. A message of Hope--that Christ came to Save Sinners and reconcile us to the Father.

Speaking the things of Christ "too much" is never a bad thing. The people that have told me in a negative way, "Man all you talk about is Christ..." (And trust me, i talk plenty about fishing, hunting, Eagles football, etc...) Are the Same ones coming to me when their life crumbles and they find themselves in the darkest of night.

I think the last thing we need to do is "limit" our commission because "WE THINK" it is not effective. Spread the Word, let God give the increase--Seeds don't grow where they are not planted.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I usually so something loke the following when they come to the door

I tell them who I am and that I am walking the area inviting people to church

Do you go to church?

Then ask them to attend and get to what their understanding of the Gospel is

If they are hostile, I ask them if there is something that I can pray for them ie sick friend, parent child etc

I also have small evangelism books to hand them if they will take one

If they will engage me in the Gospel even better. I often go back 2-3 months later as a “followup” visit and to ask again how things are going and for additional prayer requests. Sometimes, I have a NT to give them and maybe a small booklet on anger, prayer, marriage etc. which has proven to be good

I have found people do not like it when you beat around the bush, be direct but not pushy, nor rude

You might be surprised about the results.

Thank you for bringing this up, I need to get back to it. Its been a few months

Grace and peach

Hope this helps

Rom 5:1

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just to mention that one of the people contacted by door-to-door evangelism is getting baptized a week this Lord's day. Gary's is the most remarkable conversion I have witnessed. He's a man 62 years old with absolutely no church background who has done time in prison. It took a year or more of occasional calling before he agreed to do a Christianity Explored Course with us, but as he was presented with Jesus Christ, he was wonderfully saved. He has read the whole Bible in three months, and understands a remarkable amount of it; he attends every single meeting, prays passionately and stopped swearing (which he used to do all the time). His wife is just amazed at the change in him, and a bit scared. She is the subject of our prayers now. We have a load of his unsaved friends coming to the baptism.

Please pray for Gary, his wife and his friends, and believe Ephesians 3:20.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Praise God! Praying for sure!!!

20. Kelso

Kelso New Member

Faith:
    Baptist