News from First Baptist Hammond

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Squire Robertsson, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's why he's no longer pastor of FBCH. But, the point is why are the Feds involved in what would otherwise be a local\state case.

2. Steadfast Fred Active Member

The FBI is involved because it is believed Schaap took the girl over the state line into Illinois for sexual activity while she was still 16, which makes it a federal crime.

3. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe FBC Hammond is taking the high road and doing the right thing in this very sad situation.

4. Steadfast Fred Active Member

They may, or may not be.

The board of deacons should have taken action against Schaap a long time ago, The sexual content in his sermons showed the intents of the heart.

5. Steadfast Fred Active Member

Question:

Is it possible the girl was going to use the pictures to blackmail Schaap?

The deacon said the phone had a text come in from the girl and the picture showed up.

Wouldn't this mean the girl sent the pictures to him?

Could it be attempted blackmail or extortion? And just who took the pictures?

Would Schaap have knowingly posed for such pictures knowing if they became public they could ruin him?

6. Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What action would you have taken if you were a deacon in that church. Is it possible that there may have been "unsubstantiated allegations" ? Suppose there was and the pastor denied them. Then what would you have done?

I am not defending either the former pastor or the deacons - I just want to know all three sides of the issue.

7. Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    For most(1) of us to try to answer these questions would be pure speculation on our parts. We'll know more for certain when the FBI releases its report and the US Attorney files charges.

(1) I assume that any one who does know is par t of the investigation and is under orders not to leak anything here.

8. Steadfast Fred Active Member

Salty, if I were a deacon on that board I would speak out against all the sexual themed sermons ... especially the one from the 2010 youth conference.

And preaching to the congregation that he tells teens he is counseling to 'practice safe sex'?

He shouldn't be telling them to have sex at all. He should be teaching them the fact that sex is for married couples only.

The pastor cannot 'deny' the fact that he preached these things. A whole congregation heard him through the span of 11 years.

9. Steadfast Fred Active Member

I know it is speculation, but those were just some questions that came to mind.

I can't think of a pastor in the world who would allow himself to be photographed having an extra-marital affair knowing that if the pictures were discovered there would be serious consequences.

That is what aroused my curiosity in this case.

10. Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As you may have read on this thread, I'm trying my best to suck the oxygen out of any speculation. Why?? And FBCH is now the site of a "nuclear explosion." There is real fallout involved. We don't need to add to the situation.

11. Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    From Proclaim and Defend

an official voice of the FBFI:

Voyle Glover Interview

dealing with the situation in Hammond.

12. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no knowledge of this. We heard him preach in 2005 on furlough and then several weeks ago and heard none of this, nor has anyone informed us of this. You have to remember we're in Japan most of the time, out of the mainstream so to speak.

13. Mexdeaf New Member

14. Steadfast Fred Active Member

Understood John.

But it is a known fact that Schaap has preached several messages over the years with explicit content.

15. Tom Butler New Member

Voyle Glover mentioned in the linked interview about the need for each church to have a child protection policy.

How about some of you here on the BB? Do any of your churches have such a policy? What does it include?

Maybe this is worth a separate thread, but I'd like to know more.

16. Mexdeaf New Member

I know our church has one but since my ministry isn't in that area I'd have to ask our Pastor to Children for a copy if you're interested.

I do think this would be a worthwhile second thread- perhaps in the Pastoral Ministries section.

17. Steadfast Fred Active Member

Thanks for the link, MexDeaf. It is a very interesting interview and does answer many questions.

18. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Our church runs background checks

19. Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  20. Steadfast Fred Active Member

Thanks, Squire.