No Sound

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by TC, Sep 2, 2011.

1. TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a Compaq Presario s4020wm running XP. The sound died on it a couple of week ago. I go into control panel and check the device manager. It says the sound card and drivers are all working correctly and enabled. When I go into PC Doctor to test sound, it will play sound from the internal speaker and work fine, but it will not play any other sound in the sound test. I cannot get any sound when playing cd's or any online videos. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Assuming you checked the speaker wire/connecter/power pack if there is one.

Is there a little speaker icon in the task bar? If so, click it and see if anything is turned down or muted. These settings are also available in control panel under sound I think.

If that is no help you might try updating the driver in device manager. Also you might check for help on the manufacturer website.

3. TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not sure why, but the sound started working normally again. I has not worked for week and then it is totally normal out of the blue. I was going to go to Best Buy tomorrow to get a new sound blaster. Now, I don't have to. :)

4. exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Had a tower couple years ago that did that about every two months, never did figure it out. Go out for a month - back a month - out a month ?????????? who knows what lurks in the inards of these beasts :)