1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Non-Christian Hymns?"

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Rev. G, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Molly,

I'm not a huge fan of the Supertines, either btu I have a lot of respect for them.

Isn't it possible that the reason you and I don't get it is because we're not the ones they (or God, depending on how you view CCM) are trying to reach?

Mike

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

Neither do a lot of hymns, like Amazing Grace, and since God hasn't promised good to us, it just might be one of those hymsn that appear christian but becasue it doesn't mention Jesus, it isn't. How many are we going to have to throw out of the hymn book becasue Jesus' name isn't in the song. So you can see how this reasoning doesn'tm ake logical sence, it is nothing more then a twisting to support your own view no matter what it costs.

3. Molly

Molly New Member

Awwww,come on....Amazing Grace is about the doctrine of salvation.

I'm talking about songs like "Sing a song"...."your name is on my lips,your love I can't resist" There are a few that could be about anybody or anything.

Amazing grace is clearly about biblcal things.

I'm not twisting anything,and I agree there are some hymns that are not biblical,that's why we need men leading our music who have great biblical insight and discernment.

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

Then why are hymsn different from any other christian song? Different criteria for hymns then other christian music?

5. Molly

Molly New Member

There are not 2 different criteria....biblical is all I seek. Biblical in words,meaning message,and style that reflects the holiness of God,that is all I ask! Men who will discern this is what we need more of in the church today!

6. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

WEll, what about patriotic songs? Most of them are in praise of our country, not our God. Ex, America, America, God shed His grace on thee...My country'tis of thee...of thee I sing.
    And in our little red hymnal at church (stamps-baxter) we have LOTS of songs that aredoctrinally bad. So many songs talk about getting on that ol' ship and going to see mama, cause she's calling me to come home for supper - that kind of stuff. Burns me up. :mad:

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Three classes -
    psalmos = psalms, scriptures set to music
    humnos = hymns, songs of praise and glorification of who God is and what He has done
    pneumatikos oides = songs that are spiritual, speaking of our relationship with God and man

MOST of our hymnal ARE NOT "hymns"! There are usually a few scripture songs, about 100 hymns (if you're lucky) and then 400-500 songs.

Almost ALL CCM (contemporary) are weakened versions of scripture or non-threatening feel-good songs (not even sure how "spiritual"). Trying to think of ANY "hymn"

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with Dr. Bob. I would merely amplify his classifications.

A Psalm is a poetical work composed primarily for the psaltery or harp. The word Psalm is descriptive more of style than content. When Paul says to interact with one another with "psalms, hymns and spiritual songs," the content of the psalms is understood.

The word hymn is also more descriptive of a style. Plato speaks of the act of mixing "lamentations with hymns, and paeans with dithyrambs" as a kind of corruption. A dithyramb was Greek party music...
    It was a style well established by 450 B.C. and still known by the time of Paul as a wild, drunken style. In contrast to being drunk with wine, he said. Be sober, speaking in psalms, hymns and other more spiritual, temperate styles.

A spirit-filled man does not rage or weep or get sentimental like a drunkard.

So, no. One cannot call CCM "hymns." It is not even "Christian" in character.

9. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Oh, Breath of God
    Come in and dwell
    Come make my aching heart your home
    And use me well

For You've created me
    And named me as your own
    To know the wonder of Your love
    And make it known

Oh, Breath of God
    Teach me Your ways
    That I might serve You
    In these precious, fleeting days

Now I'm sure of this
    If I've learned nothing else
    Until I live for You
    I do not live, myself

((chorus))

Father, Father
    Lift me on Your wings
    Show me why the
    Angels sing

Oh, Breath of God
    I'm tired and cold
    And all the dreams I've chased
    Have left me feeling old
    But You've been waiting here
    And now I understand
    Please let me fall into
    Your nail-scarred, loving hands

Sounds "Christian" to me.

10. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Hmm...

Speaking to yourselves in psalms, hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord