1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nursing Mothers

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, Feb 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mandym

mandym New Member

Of course, is there a reason I shouldn't if I was unaware?

I haven't seen anyone on this thread suggest women should not breast feed.

2. mandym

mandym New Member

The term "get a life" seems to imply that such is an all encompassing thought. It appears some cannot handle opposing views and get offended if they are exposed to them in a discussion thread. Very odd.

3. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I am in no way offended. It's just wierd to me that folks don't have anything better to do than to worry about a woman breastfeeding her baby. Do they not have more important things to worry about? Is it so great a distraction that they would make it into some legalistic standard? If so, then yes, they do need to get a life. Are they so s#xually messed up that this would cause them a problem with lust? Then they need to get help!!!!

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Amen! What is sad is that many mothers do not breastfeed at all - and very few have true reasons not to breastfeed. But when there is such hostility to a mother feeding her child, we can see a little bit of where it would be placed in her head that it is "gross" or "weird". If more babies were breastfed, we could save a lot of money in this country - yet here we are arguing about whether a mother can breastfeed her child when she needs to or if she needs to "go away" to do so. :(

5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure, so long as she keeps covered up. And isn't in full view of the congregation, i.e. in the choir behind the pulpit.

:eek:

A baby was being naturally fed? Oh my!

Still waiting to hear scriptural reasons why it's wrong to do so. The "brother might stumble" argument is pretty weak. I'd presume if a man has a lust problem with a covered breast with a baby latched onto it they probably have lust issues with covered breasts in general.

#125 InTheLight, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2011
  6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I guess you have the right to meddle in anyone's family that will tolerate it. Just do not do it to mine. Your opinion of what Scripture says on this matter does not make it Biblical truth; it makes it your opinion.

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually it's not a tent in the usual sense of the word (like going camping) but a wire hoop collar which goes around mom's neck.

A light blanket loops around and hangs from it.
    Grandbaby goes inside (my daughter and d-i-l have them).
    Everyone is happy (well, almost everyone, some on the BB excepted).

HankD

8. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Word reflects in Titus that the aged women are supposed to teach the younger women to be discreet and chaste.

The word discreet comes from the word discernment, which refers to being wary, or cautious, or taking everything into account before speaking or acting so as to avoid social disgrace or embarrassment. To be tactful.

Nothing wrong with any mother feeding her baby in any situation however, they need to be discrete about it. Some women are not.

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

Count me on the "If they do it quite discreetly and modestly, then I see no problem" side.

I'm not too keen on someone being confrontational about it, or lobbing grenades on the issue.

I think on the Scriptural side of things: We should submit to one another out of reverence to Christ. And if church leadership sets down a policy--of course there should be room to talk, but there's an authority issue to consider.

Likewise, those in authority should be careful in exerting such. Being heavy-handed, rude, or the like does not honor God and does not edify the body.

Of course, it's easy to make the hard "always" and "never" statements here. I would hope that in "real life," each of us would respond carefully, gently, wisely...speaking the truth in love.

I will make one harsh statement: I feel it is NEVER right for fathers to breastfeed in church. That quickly becomes a sore subject.

:eek: :D :D

10. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think that asking the mother to go to a private place so that she isn't a distraction places any unreasonable burden on the mother or child.

I'd even let her use my office if she wants to.

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Why would it be a distraction? Who's watching a mother nurse when you're preaching?? ;)

12. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

So full of rebellion. :(

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Here we have leaders of churches, associations, etc sheparding other Christians and are suppose to have a good grasp of Scripture. Pastors and leaders are suppose to be examples and mature Christians. After years of college, seminary, and real life church experience you would think so. However, from reading a majority of these posts on the subject, I do not think it is the baby who you should be worried about drinking milk. Maybe you should focus on your own maturity in relation to what Paul had to say about Christians drinking milk.

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And here we have women abandoning Scripture, reason and revising history to maintain their contentions.

15. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

No, what we have is a lack of understanding of Biblical principles and goobers making a moral issue of something that is not a sin. It is called a strawman that so many on this board are experts at.

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What am I rebelling against?

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Show me the Scripture that says that women are to segregate themselves when breastfeeding and I'll be all for it.

18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Don't let it get you Ann. You are right. I won't post my true opinion on those who are bothered by mothers discretely nursing.

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Oh, it's not getting to me at all. I'm just trying to ask him what he thinks I'm rebelling against since "thou shall not breastfeed in public" is not in the Bible that I read. ;) I think it's that I'm rebelling against the "freeatlast" version. Interesting that he's "free" and I guess nursing moms are not. ;)

20. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your arguments are: 1) "It's only recently that anyone wanted nursing mothers to cover up." 2) Breasts are for feeding, and any man who finds them attractive is just wierd, because God didn't make them to be attractive. 3) Cultures that have their women go topless don't have the "issues" "we" have.

Of course the Scripture doesn't provide a history of Western Civilization, but I would be willing to post verse after verse to refute your creation story, and now I will also press you for specifics with evidence to support your sociological and anthropological assertions.

But, the bottom line is, if the men tell a woman not to nurse her baby in the sanctuary during public worship, then she doesn't get to do it. You can fabricate all the myths you want to paint them as sexually frustrated wierdos, but God has you under their authority.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.