1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Obama administration withholds data on clunkers

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by carpro, Aug 5, 2009.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090804/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_cash_for_clunkers_transparency

Obama administration withholds data on clunkers

By BRETT J. BLACKLEDGE, Associated Press Writer Brett J. Blackledge, Associated Press Writer – Tue Aug 4, 4:46 pm ET

WASHINGTON – The Obama administration is refusing to quickly release government records on its "cash-for-clunkers" rebate program that would substantiate — or undercut — White House claims of the program's success, even as the president presses the Senate for a quick vote for $2 billion to boost car sales.

The Transportation Department said it will provide the data as soon as possible but did not specify a time frame or promise release of the data before the Senate votes whether to spend $2 billion more on the program.

2. targus

targus New Member

Well, what were you expecting from the transparent president.

BTW - how could any program consisting of giving away money not be a success if the measure is "did we give away the money"?

Hint - when you are giving away money people will come and take it.

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

I guess success is all in who you ask, rich people being given $4500. to buy a car, or poor people who are seeing fewer and fewer cars available to them and the price of those available rising rapidly. It all depends on who you want to take care of, those with money or those who are the most needy, who can't get to the store or doctor without a car.

4. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm skeptical about this "Cash For Clunkers" program. I've been hearing that is has given auto dealerships a shot in the arm for their business. What happens when people who can't afford to buy these newer cars end up getting their vehicles repoed? I also don't like how when these "clunkers" are traded in they have a sticker put on them that says "Not For Sale".

I think it is stupid how a company can't sell those vehicles even after fixing them up. What does the federal government want with them? Do they want to make sure those cars are turned into scrap metal or something?