1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Obama push to normalize Cuban relations

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Dec 17, 2014.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As you've probably heard — or seen, if you've traveled to Cuba — food (and, at times, the lack thereof) remains one of the most striking emblems of Cuba's dysfunctional economic system. Let's just say that the agreement between Obama and Cuban President Raul Castro will probably eventually mean big changes for the food supply in Cuba.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/20...nge-in-u-s-cuba-relations-might-mean-for-food

U.S. agriculture has a big appetite for freer trade with Cuba. From wheat to rice to beans, the industry stands to be one of the biggest beneficiaries of President Barack Obama's plan to ease economic and travel restrictions imposed against the communist-ruled island.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/us-agriculture-big-appetite-cuba-trade-27715365

I have no idea why this was written.

2. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Yes but now they have McDonalds and Burger King.

3. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What the US corporations want is for the US government to extend credit to Cuba so that they can make money off the taxpayers as everyone knows that Fidel and Raul do not pay their bills. They have been dictators for 55 years and have no reimbursed people for property that they confiscated. The Canadians gave them credit and the Canadian taxpayers are stuck with the bill.

The reason that people are starving in Cuba is that Fidel and Raul want them to starve, especially if they are Afro-Cubans. Communists always starve their populations--look at North Korea where people eat grass.

4. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I am really ignorant concerning anything about Cuba. All I know is they seem untouched by the things that kill people and pollute the environment, but for all I know, that could be false. Oh, and someone who went there said if I ever go, take people nice soap and toilet paper because it is limited there, but they have really good food.

So what is the deal? Why have we had a poor relationship with them, and why is it positive or negative if we don't? Someone said they're communist so we shouldn't, but so are other places we seem fine with. And what exactly is changing?

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Actually, they definitely pollute the environment thanks to having to keep VERY old engines running in any way possible.

I'm not sure about soap but toilet paper is definitely rationed. You also don't flush it - you must put it in a trash pail because the septic systems can't handle the paper.

As for food - the food might be good for tourists but if you stay with the locals, they have no access to good food. My daughter was there in July and breakfast was crackers and a mayo-like spread and lunch and dinner was rice and beans with fried plantains. No variation. But it was nice because they were able to get eggs for a few days, buying them on the black market. It was a rare treat and a great blessing for my daughter who, for some reason couldn't eat the rice and beans! She's allergic to dairy but she's totally fine with rice and beans at home. Weird!

6. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All communist dictators starve their people. North Koreans eat grass and still die of hunger. Stalin took all the food out of the Ukraine and starved thousands of them to death. Fidel and Raul live high wide and handsome like New Yorkers in an apartheid state where Afro-Cubans are disproportionally imprisoned based upon the income they got from the Soviet Union, forcing their doctors to work for slave wages while the state takes the rest of their pay, and also the 100,000 barrels of oil that Venezuela gives them everyday as payment for the KGB tactics that Cuba is teaching to Maduro to extend the communist repression in Venezuela as well.

However, that does not mean that Americans cannot have a good time in Cuba, just like in the old days, as everything is plentiful in the tourist sections, and much cheaper than Nevada, and there again the American cash helps keep Fidel and Raul rich but what happens in Cuba stays in Cuba, just name your desires.