1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Oklahoma hit with 70 quakes in a week

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Crabtownboy, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fracking????

I do not like the new quotes putting quoted material in small letters and fading it out. Though I'd try this way of quoting.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...klahoma-blamed-deep-injection-wells/78421444/

Oklahoma in 2014 had at least 5,415 earthquakes; 585 of them were magnitude-3 or greater. In comparison, the state had just 109 magnitude-3 quakes in 2013, according to the Oklahoma Geologic Survey. Statistics for 2015 are still being compiled.

A state report last year noted a connection between hydraulic fracturing and some earthquake "swarms," and state officials say there's a potential risk to the public due to the increase in quakes. Experts say the quakes are likely being caused by injection wells, which are particularly deep wells into which drilling byproducts and wastewater are injected, rather than wells drilled to extract oil or gas.

"The OGS considers it very likely that the majority of recent earthquakes, particularly those in central and north-central Oklahoma, are triggered by the injection of produced water in disposal wells," the agency said.

It added, “The seismicity rate is now about 600 times greater than the background seismicity rate and is very unlikely the result of a natural process.”

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...klahoma-blamed-deep-injection-wells/78421444/

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

In other words, they don't know for sure.

3. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In areas like this what do we know for sure. However seems very strong evidence.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/USA-Up...rthquakes-rock-Oklahoma.-Is-fracking-to-blame

In April, the OGS said most of the state's recent earthquakes were caused by the injection of wastewater from oil and natural gas drilling operations Earth, which has become increasingly common in recent years.

State seismologist Richard D. Andrews and Dr. Austen Holland said at the time the earthquakes "are very unlikely to represent a naturally occurring process” with data indicating the number of earthquakes were probably linked to drilling.

In 2013, Oklahoma experienced 109 earthquakes at more than magnitude-3. By 2014, that number increased fivefold to 585, while in 2015 the number of earthquakes further increased, the OGS said.

Geologists said before 2009, the state historically averaged 1.5 earthquakes of magnitude-3 or greater each year, and is now experiencing 2.5 earthquakes of the same magnitudes each day.

The current average rate of earthquakes is approximately 600 times

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Just an opinion.

5. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A 600% increase in earthquakes certainly is not conjecture.

6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What caused it is.

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luk_21:11 There will be great earthquakes, and in various places famines and pestilences. And there will be terrors and great signs from heaven.

8. Kevin

Kevin Active Member

Obviously it is a combination of Fracking, Global Warming/Climate Change/what ever they are calling it these days, and the abundance of all those Automatic guns that are killing folks, all by themselves.

Seriously, I live in the Eagle Ford field in Texas, and there have been reports of an increase in the number of small earthquakes in the area. I haven't noticed any of them, and haven't heard of any damage from them, so they must be pretty small.

• Like Like x 1
  9. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If Oklahoma is the epic center of the second coming of Christ....I need to re-evaluate a lot.

10. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't worry about the odd rattling of windows. But, then I live within a mile of the San Andreas fault.

11. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No.

A basic understanding of geology and what causes earthquakes would rule out the tracking process. If it has any affect (not likely), it would be to help eliminate earthquakes. Earthquakes occur when geological plates get "locked" and forces build up until something breaks and the energy is released all at once. The tracking process finely cracks layers of shale across a large area to release petrochemicals trapped in the rock. Those activists who say that the tracking process "causes" earthquakes need to go back to their middle school textbooks and review the geology unit.

Yes, this is almost certainly correct.

Injection wells have been used for years to get rid of nasty stuff. With the increase in tracking over the past decade, one of the standard ways to get rid of contaminated water is to inject it deep into the crust of the earth. Since water doesn't compress, it puts pressure on the rock formations surrounding the injection site that may indeed result in earthquakes.

I don't like injection wells for routine disposal of drilling water. There are processes available now that allow the drilling water to be reclaimed and reused. Moreover, drilling companies can create lined reservoirs and allow the water to evaporate, then clean up the sediment in appropriate ways - although that can lead to accidental leakage and contamination.

12. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't know that kind of language was allowed on here.

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, disgusting isn't it?

HankD

14. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Wednesday evening we had a 4.8 centered in Alva about 60 miles west of us here in Oklahoma it lasted 4 or 5 seconds at its peak and moved furniture and pictures dislodged a bit. I purchased earthquake insurance for our home last year because we literally get shaken once or twice a month. The state is caught somewhat between a rock and a hard spot in that oil is the life blood of our state and outside of Walmart is the second highest employer in the state. If they approve legislation that deny fracking permits to the oil companies then they also stand to lose much of our economic base. Employers such as Haliburton, MFG, Kirkpatrick etc. will lay off affecting nearly all the major industry in the state.

It is a hard place to be but without oil which drives industries such as machine shops, welding, engineering firms etc. we would be in bad shape. I am glad I am not in a political position to have to make that call. What is right in this situation move the state into potential poverty or hope there is not a major quake?

thjplgvp