1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Old Regular Baptist

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Frogman, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Very good old regular;
    The reason most people use our History as New Salem is because they only go look back so far and if so they the run into New Salem.

2. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    New Salem

The New Salem Assn. has a long and very interesting history, and is considered the mother association Of Old Regular Baptist but it must be noted two of her daughters are Regular Primitive, the Mates Creek and Sandlick, her mother the Burning Springs has been United then Regular and then Regular Primitive, New Salem gave off the Union and the Philadelphia,Kyova, and Northern New Salem,I have been unable to produce documentation that she gave off an arm to the Indian Bottom or the Sardis, these associations developed from divides, there is mention of a Sulphur Springs Association that went into some kind of disorder ,but I believe they came from the Union, the Union also gave off the Friendship assn. according to one account, which churches were involved with the Elkhorn and Pineville Assns. also the Thorton Union came from the Union,Thorton Union gave off the Little Dove (I have not been able to confrim this)I believe those Churches were former Union Churches that left,I know that Thorton Union gave off Original Mountain Liberty, and Cumberland, Original Mountain Liberty gave off Sovereign Grace ,two of the Sovereign Grace Churches had declared a non-fellowship with the Northern New Salem due to them allowing a sister to church Family of Love, to query the association, about the way Mt.Zion took communion with wine, without sending a commitee, to Mt.Zion and then allowing false reports about New Mt.Zion to be heard and told, and not allowing the assistant moderator of Mt.Zion to speak, the moderator of Mt.Zion was in the hospital with a life threating pneumonia, unable to attend the association and unaware of the actions of the Family of Love and Elder Roy Caudill moderator of the NNS. This is an example of an association not being a help.Bethel Association came about after an illegal action of the Union assn. when it violated its consitution.Mountain Valley was made up of Churches that formerly belong to Thorton Union, and got into several disagreements with that body,However a non-fellowship was not declared in this instance.It was latter told that if the Mt.Zion and New Mt.Zion had only dropped correspondence with the NNS,and then sought assistance from some of the sister associations the rift, would not have been so large, but because they declared non-fellowship and declared the NNS in disorder, and stated they would not seat a commitee appointed illegally by the NNS to vist the Mt.Zion nor did they intend to leave the Bible out of their dispute and take grape juice, there appears no reconcilation with the NNS. These are only examples of what has taken place in the Old Regular Baptist Associations. While many times the split is officially over some action violating the Assn. consititution, most of the time,there is also a doctrinal position being the root cause, usually between ministers,and it grows and evolves into something else. Most ORB articles of Faith are worded very Calvinistic, yet most of the ministers in the majority of the churches at this time are a arminian- calvninst mix, unless you look at SGA,Bethel, Mud River(one active church,) Original Mountain Liberty,Mountain Valley, and some of the Thorton Union.However I would not say that the majorty in the other associations are total freewillers,most do not believe that an individual can believe and repent at human will,but that sinners are called.When I was among them, I did not hear anyone talk about making a decision, or accepting Christ. Choosing God had stated to take, with some brothers , but the older Elders I knew,preached Bible and stated Christ ,"whosoever believeth...." not whosoever chooseth, they stated people could accept the Lord but that didn't save them ,they were saved because God chose them and Accepted them through the beloved.and through his grace they were made. Currently I don't know what the majority hold to, Brother Bob would be more able to give you that information.He is a member of that chain of corespondence. I don't know how one would reach Elder Paul Vance or Elder Edwin Hay, also I don't have knowledge of who the pastor of the Sardis Church is, I knew and loved Elder Joe Evans, who was the moderator of that church, when I last visted.Some of those churches pulled out of the Sardis assn. over different isssues but none of them corespond with us, there again, ask Bro. Bob he can most likely answer ththose questions. Bro.Slone

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

We all preach that the "Spirit of God is striving with all men to repent" and you must believe that Jesus is the Christ then God chooses to save you by His Grace and through faith. I don't think we differ from the Old time doctrine but admittedly there are those who go too far in our Associations in choosing without explaining that Salvation is entirely of the Lord.
    This is the article that we believe in:

ARTICLE 5. We believe that sinners are called to repentance and believe in the Gospel and regeneration of the soul and sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, and none shall fall away and be lost.

If you notice, believing is before the regeneration and that is where we differ from the Primitive and is the only Article that is not accepted by them. We do believe that God's Spirit strives with man but we believe "all men" and belief is before regeneration.
    As far as Edwin Hay and Paul Vance they are by themselves with maybe one church out of the Philedelphia. The Rebecca church where Bro Edwin and Bro Paul are at pulled away because of double marriage. I was among the brethren who went to their church and personally tried to work with them but to no avail. Bro Edwin comes to the church I moderate "Narrows Branch" at least once a year and is a very close friend of mine along with his wife Polly. I also enjoy friendship with Brother Paul Vance and his family. Brother Edwin considers their church and I as being very close in beliefs and so do I.

The Sardis Church is Pastored by Elder Billie Brunfield and they have 3 churches that correspond as far as I know and they did withdraw from us but not over any thing you would accept Bro. Slone. Brother Joe Evans passed away. They were using sisters in positions where the Bible does not support.

Human nature has cause most splits including The Sardis but not on our part.

#383 Brother Bob, Oct 24, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2006
  4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

As Bro. old regular has already stated that Mate's Creek was a arm off of The New Salem Association and The Brushy Fork with 2 more churches split off of Mate's Creek to form the Sardis Association because the brethren felt that Mate's Creek brethren had left the original doctrine of predestination and became Hyper-Calvinist doctrine in their beliefs. Below is that split:

ORDERS and ADVICE

of the

SARDIS ASSOCIATION

OF

OLD REGULAR BAPTIST

THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST

1893 to 1989

ORDERS AND ADVICE
    of the
    SARDIS ASSOCIATION OF OLD REGULAR BAPTIST
    THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST
    1893 to 1989

In humble obedience to an Order of the Sardis Association, Saturday's session, Article 20, in the year of 1989, and with all humility to our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ, who makes be able, I set forth hereinafter all of the Orders that are still in effect of our beloved Sardis Association from its organization in the year of 1893 to the year of 1989, as found in the Annual Minutes thereof.

The word "Advice" was added by me for the sake of complete­ness because, in my opinion, all of the Items set forth in the Minutes may not properly be classified as an "Order". Whenever possible, exact quotations are shown.

Amendments to the Constitution, Articles of Faith and Rules of Decorum are not shown. Orders that have been reprinted are shown in the year first printed. Orders that have been amended or changed are shown in the year of latest change.

Your Clerk,
    Ralph W. E. Varney, Jr.

August 5, 1893
    Brushy Fork Church W.W. Fields, Moderator
    P.D. Bevins, Clerk

RECORD OF THE SARDIS ASSOCIATION

Organized in the year 1893 upon the following Faith, to wit:

We, the Churches of Jesus Christ of Regular Baptist, are consti­tuted on the following Faith:

1st: We believe in only one true and living God, the Creator of the heavens and earth and all things that are therein contained.

2nd: We believe in Jesus Christ, the Eternal Son of God, who is Head and King of His Church.

3rd: We believe in the Holy Ghost, the sealer and applier of the redemption purchased by Christ.

4th: We believe in the Father; Son and Holy Ghost and these three are One.

5th: We believe the Scripture of the Old and New Testaments to be the infallible Word of God and take it for our only rule of faith and practice and nothing is to be added to it or taken from it.
    6th: We believe in the free atonement of Jesus Christ and that He tasted death for every man and that salvation is offered to all men and women upon the terms of the Gospel.

7th: We believe that repentance and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ are necessary previous to baptism, and that by immersion is the only right way of administering the ordinance.

8th: We believe that Christ has but one true Gospel Church and that it will finally persevere through grace to eternal glory.

9th: We believe in the Communion of the Lord's Supper, that is, taking of the bread and wine, by the Church of Jesus Christ in commemoration of the death and suffering of the Son of God until His Second Coming.

10th: We believe that feet washing is an ordinance of Jesus Christ and ought to be observed and kept up by His Church until His Second Coming.

11th: We believe that Jesus Christ is the first resurrection from the dead and that He lives forever.
    12th: We believe in the resurrection of the just and unjust.

13th: We believe in the final punishment of the wicked and in the eternal happiness of the righteous.

We, the Regular Baptist Churches of Jesus Christ, composed of duly authorized delegates and members from the Brushy Fork, Sardis and Big Branch Churches, convened with the Brushy Fork Church on August 5, 1893 and organized by electing W.W. Fields, Moderator; and P.D. Bevins, Clerk.

Upon motion, the Moderator appointed Brothers G.W. May­nard and W.L. Smith as Committee to report the order of business for this day. The report of said Committee was read, approved and the Committee discharged.

Upon motion and second, the Association declared the follow­ing to be the reasons for founding a new Association and they, in like manner, adopted the annexed Constitution and Articles of Faith.

We, the Regular Baptist Church of Jesus Christ, convened with the Brushy Fork Church and composed as a working body for the transaction of business of duly authorized delegates from the Big Branch, Sardis and Brushy Fork Churches, deeming it necessary on account of a material difference of opinion existing between our­selves and other Brethren of the Mates Creek Churches to organize an Association separate and apart from our differing and yet highly esteemed Brethren in which we may live in harmony and perfect unison with each other.

NOW, BE IT KNOWN, in the presence of these witnesses and before Almighty God, the Supreme Judge of the World and all our actions:

First: That we do not object to the outline of Doctrine as we understand it to have been written in the different Constitutions of the Churches composing the Mates Creek Association.

Second: That while we believe no one independent of God's Almighty Power can be instrumental in the salvation of his soul, we do believe that man is responsible for his deeds, which thing we understand our Mates Creek Brethren to deny.

Third: That we object to the Doctrine held by our Mates Creek Brethren that man as a created being is compelled by God Eternal in all things to do just as he does, whether it be good or evil.
    Fourth: We believe that man in the Creation was given limited power and that good and evil were set before him with the possibility of his choosing either. Therefore, we believe that when Adam par­took of evil he did so not by compulsion but by choice, which thing we also understand our Mates Creek Brethren to deny.

Therefore, these things being essential in regard to the prosper­ity of the Church, and as members holding these different views cannot possibly live in true Brotherly love within the same Associa­tion, we thought it better both for our Absolute Predestination Brethren and ourselves that we organize a separate Association. Not that we object to the original Doctrine of the Mates Creek Associa­tion but that we believe that our Predestination Brethren have departed from these same Doctrines.

But to them and all others be it understood, with God as our Judge, that it is with malice toward none that we withdraw from the Mates Creek Association and adopt the following Constitution for our Church government, together with the foregoing Articles of Faith for each of the Churches composing our Body:

It has been said the Old doctrine did not include salvation being offered to all but as you can see in article 6 it was believed by the brethren as far back as 1893.

#384 Brother Bob, Oct 24, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2006
  5. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Infant damnation

No old Regular Baptist association believes that infants go to hell, there are some Primitive Baptist that hold that position, and some that are unsure, I read an article on one of their websites,talking about age of accountabilty,that will prove, the latter(unsure of where infants go). All Old Regulars hold footwashing as an ordinance of the church to be practiced as part of the Lord's supper,not all Primitive Baptist wash feet,all do not line their hymns,most of the Old Regular Singing is lined, most Old Regulars Believe in Special atonement, that Christ Blood Was purposed to save the believer,and those individuals that God chose not to impute sin unto,and these believers make up the elect, some Old Reg. Baptist hold to a general atonement(but not in the way General Baptist Do) some would hold to a strict particular atonement identical to the majorty of Primitive Baptist.There are some Primitive Baptist Articles of Faith written to match Special Atonement,there are also brothers who think special and particular are the same, just a dfferent play on words.Primitive Baptist would be more likely to exclude a brother for differing from their view of the atonement.The Regulars would generally be more tolerant, they still honor the agreement made with the Seperate Baptist, that the preaching that Christ tasted death for every man shall be no bar to communion,the Primitve have not honored that agreement, even though most of them descended from the churches that made those agreements ,you will find those associations listed in their history,the ORB would differ on the word every,among themselves ,some will say it means every man that believes or that has been elected or every man in the body of Christ,or every man in the world, but I don't know of anyone being excluded over the atonement in my lifetime, I would not fellowship brethern who believe the atonement saves the world universally nor would any Old Regular general.special, or particular.Bro.Slone

#385 old regular, Oct 25, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2006
  6. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Age of Accountability

The article that states,they (Primitive)are unsure about infants,is the one on the age of accountability, do a search under old line messenger,some of his comments are quite disturbing,especially the last paragraph .I would much rather fellowship with people who have a false notion about there being an age of accountability, than someone, who thinks like this.I know some Primitive Baptist ministers who feel the same way that I do, you can not judge whole groups of people over what one person states, but I have heard of others, in what are supposed to be old line Primitive Baptist Churches advocate likewise. P.S I dont believe in an age of accountability but I do believe that men and women are accountable for their deeds, and their actions .Brother Slone

#386 old regular, Oct 25, 2006
  7. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sardis Articles of Faith

Brother Bob, can you give us the current Articles of Faith of the Sardis Association. This would show how much they have or haven't changed or if the brethern tried to define their beliefs more clearly as the years passed by, I know the New Salem carried the Burning Spring Articles then switched to close to their current, Do you know if the NS association approved the change and what year it took place?. Brother Slone

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Here you go Bro. Slone; I do believe you come to an age to know to do good and do it not or in other words "The Commandments came sin revived and I died". I believe infants and children are not accountable for their wrongs until they become of age. Can't find in the Bible where the scripture was to infants but always to men/women.

The New Salem are identical to ours!

ARTICLES OF FAITH
    OF THE
    SARDIS ASSOCIATION
    ARTICLE 1. We believe in only one true and living God; the Father, the Son and Holy Ghost; and these three are one, equal in power, essence and glory.
    ARTICLE 2. We believe the scripture of the Old and New Testaments of the Authorized King James Version of the Bible are the written words of God and are the only rules of faith and practice.
    ARTICLE 3. We believe in the doctrine of election by grace, for by grace are ye saved through faith.
    ARTICLE 4. We believe in the doctrine of original sin and of man's inability to recover himself from the fallen state he is in by nature, therefore the Saviour is needed for our redemption.
    ARTICLE 5. We believe that sinners are called to repentance and believe in the Gospel and regeneration of the soul and sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, and none shall fall away and be lost.
    ARTICLE 6. We believe that sinners are justified in the sight of God only by the imputed righteousness of Jesus Christ.
    ARTICLE 7. We believe that baptism is the ordinance of God's Church on earth and the mode IMMERSION, back foremost, so as to cover all over.
    ARTICLE 8. We believe that the Lord's Supper is the command of the Saviour, and that by use of bread and the fruit of the vine, and feet washing should be kept up until his second coming by his believers.
    ARTICLE 9. We believe in the resurrection of the dead, both of the just and the unjust, and that the joys of the righteous and the punishment of the wicked shall be eternal.
    ARTICLE 10. We believe that no Minister has the right to administer the ordinances and commands of the Gospel except such as are regularly ordained and baptized, and that by immersion by a legal administrator of the Gospel comes under the hands of a regularly chosen presbytery of the Church.
    ARTICLE 11. We believe it to be the duty of all Church members to contribute for defraying all reasonable expenses of the Church, never forgetting the poor according to their several abilities.
    ARTICLE 12. We believe that every doctrine that goes to encourage or indulge people in their sins or cause them to settle down on anything short of saving faith in Christ for salvation is erroneous, and such doctrine shall be rejected by us.
    ARTICLE 13. We believe that the Church of Jesus Christ is a congregation of faithful believers in Christ who have obtained fellowship with the Lord and one another, and have given themselves to the Lord and have agreed to keep up a Godly discipline according to the rules of the Gospel.
    ARTICLE 14. We believe that Jesus Christ is the head of the Church and the government thereof is upon His Shoulders.
    ARTICLE 15. We believe that a sanctioned marriage of God is between a man and a woman only. Also, we believe in receiving members into our fellowship that follow the natural dating relationship that leads to holy matrimony between a man and a woman only: thereby, preserving the family unit of father, mother and children. Ephesians 5:22,23 and 28, St. Mark 10:6,7,8 and Romans 1:26 and 27.
    ARTICLE 16. None of the above Articles shall be considered as to hold with particular election and reprobation so as to make God partial, directly or indirectly, nor to injure any of the children of men, nor shall any of those Articles be altered without legal notice and free consent.

#388 Brother Bob, Oct 26, 2006
  9. deacon jd

deacon jd New Member

I have a question about the Old Regulars. It is my understanding that they do not believe in Sunday School because that it was not established by the apostles. While I must admit that it is true that it is not found in the Bible I do believe that bible teaching is. What would be wrong with having Bible study no matter what you want to call it? I am not trying to argue I really am curious whether this is true or not, and if it is then why?

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You know Deacon;
    In the old days the children went to church every time the grownups went and they did learn enough to draw them back when they got older. We have lost that for very few young come anymore and frankly has me worried about membership. I may be alone in this but I do worry for when I was a child there was a group that came to our public schools and sang christian songs and told little stories about Jesus and I loved it. I do have the order where it was outlawed from our church back in the 20's I think and it was because of the teachers of Sunday schools were not called and ordained of God and the Association felt therefore they should not be teaching the word.
    I will be the first to admit we must get to our young or we will fade away. I don't have that much longer on this earth but hope in someway we do reach the young people. I don't believe in reaching them with parties, basketball and such but to tell them about Jesus would be a good thing.

11. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sunday Schools

Old Regular Baptist believe, that God places the responsibility of bringing children up in the fear and admonition of the Lord,belongs to the parents,we believe that children have a sinful nature by birth, and know how to do wrong, without any teaching, we because of that fallen nature , must teach them morals of right and wrong, the conscience is also fallen, it can accuse or excuse, foolishness is bound in the heart of a child, Proverbs tells us alot about children and how they must be corrected,etc.. the churches duty is to preach and to teach all that come under the sound of the gospel,we have no example of placing children in seperate classrooms away from their parents in worship,God has one gospel and there is food there for the young as well as the old.if they have the Spirt,and ears to hear with ,it will bring blessings upon them, if they have not recieved a hearing, then the moral message of the truth will benefit their natural life, children learning scripture is not harmful,but it takes the same Spirt that wrote it, to understand it, for now it is just a book of rules but after God Quickens them its a book filled with life.I was raised by an old Regular Baptist, my Dad was a lay member, he read the bible to us at a very young age,we had family prayer in our home,sang hyms, I went to long church services, I saw the effects of the Spirt upon people, I was taught more by example in those meetings than, I ever learned by the letter, I saw women who lived in poverty, poor in this world's goods who looked like they had nothing by nature, when the gospel trump begin to sound they forgot all that poverty, and would rise to their feet and begin to shout prasies to their king and tell of his mercy and grace and act like children of the King, and I never forgot it, and as a child I wondered what they must feel, I saw them wash each others feet, baptisms, I can tell you sermons I heard as a child and who preached them, old time songs and who sung them. The Lords voice spoke to me when I was 16. I heard that voice and was rasied from the dead state I was in by nature,believed that he is a rewarder of them that dilgently seek him, was led by God goodness to repentence through a Godly Sorrow given a lively hope in Christ, joined. the Pleasant View Church in 1980 at 17 years old.We do not believe that being a christian is something man can cultivate through a man made system but rather by being borned again ,Eternal Life is a gift of God ,that is not of works(mans anyway ).Why we believe in instructing our children this has nothing to do with their eternal salvation,nor do we think we can pray them into heaven, a carnal mind is not subject to the laws of God,the natural man recieveth not the things that be of the spirt neither can he know them.That why we don't have preachers schools to teach someone how to preach, we believe it is neither learned of man nor taught of man but by the revelation of Jesus Christ. In the SGA some of our churches have more young people than old people, and I am very thankful for it, the Elders at that church spend alot of time teaching as well as preaching from the pulpit, they meet at each others houses and teach also ,like Paul ,I taught you publickly and from house to house, This church has services every Sunday evening and on the 2nd sun morn.and I believe thats a good thing, not all of our churches can do this yet.Regular Baptist should have seperated their children from the public schools when they started down the secular humanistic road and threw God,s name out, they could have easily used their church buildings and have given their children a more God centered education, at Blessed Hope several of the members home school, and in the Rock Fork area Regular Baptist are involved with an independent Christ centered school, not as an auxilliary of the church but seperate, using the churches buildings to teach in. This I have no objection to seeing how the public schools have went down the broad road, and they spend more time with our children than we do.When I joined PV there were a lot of young people, many of them became distraught over the fighting and politics of the Old Regulars and left, some still remain, but this still remains an issue. Old Regular Baptist won't preach with each other even at funerals,this has caused a lot of hurt, they have preached against horseshoes ,playing ball,etc... yet most of them have televisions( not all) that condem those who play games with ther children now granted there can be a wrong spirt in sports activities and losing would be the christian thing to do, but television can do much harm if not guarded, a lot more harmful than horseshoes.The different factions of Old Regular have no official communication with one anthor, and often talk negative about each other , in an unchartiable way this hurts old and alike, we do not provide entertainment in our churches for the flesh to enjoy and many go to the false churches that do.Sunday School would be adding to the word of God, teaching would be in keeping with the word of God and should be do in a bilblical manner. Bro.Slone

#391 old regular, Oct 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2006
  12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Well, I lived the same kind of life and would not change it for the world. That being said, all of the Elders I know are concerned about the falling membership of our churches and I lay awake at night trying to come up with an answer to help us gain more members but in the gospel way. Again, as old regular has said and so did I that we were fortunate to be raised so as we did learn some of the gospel teachings. Unfortunately our young as a whole are not receiving the same kind of teaching of the Gospel as we did. My children as I have three all joined the Old Regular because I made them go when they were young and it stuck with them. I also don't preach when I come to the stand as a lot of our preachers to for them to go anywhere that it does not matter. Well, it does matter to me and I for one do not preach that and never have. Its not I don't believe that there are saved in other churches and I do not say all for there are some that are so far off that I don't feel free to make that statement.
    We can't walk around with our heads in the sand. We must wake up and try to help ourselves in membership. Maybe its the times and we are almost to the end where Jerusalem will become desolate, I don't know for only God knows that. Again, I would be failing in my calling if I were not concerned about bringing in members to the church. I know it takes God to add to the church but we just stated that the life we lived played a big part in both old regular and myself coming to the Lord. God help us to do what is right in his sight. I am not for Sunday schools like churches have today but do believe we need to have more days where we just serve the children and during that time have some ordained person teach them about Jesus and have them sing some religious songs at the church itself. We have no excuse where we just meet one weekend a month at each church. I look at our own church and see very few young anymore. Again, may God guide my mind to do what He would have me to do. Just some thoughts on the matter.

#392 Brother Bob, Oct 28, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2006
  13. bubba jimmy

bubba jimmy New Member

David wrote in the Psalms "O God, thou hast taught me from my youth: and hitherto have I declared thy wondrous works. Now also when I am old and greyheaded, O God, forsake me not; until I have shewed thy strength unto this generation, and thy power to every one that is to come."

If the children receive and understand the gospel from sitting under the preaching of the gospel, then we have fullfilled what David cried out for. The Lord allows us to tary long enough to declare His strength and power to the next generation.

Let me comment on my personal experience. I attended the Dorton Creek and Little Ida Old Regular Baptist churches as a child. I never understood anything at all about the Lord from being there. I listened to the music, and I heard the praise and worship of the people through that. The preaching did not mean much to me as a child. Where I learned of the Lord was from my mother, and my grandmother, and my great-grandmother. And in the Sunday School of the church my mother attended. That did not stick with me as a young person, but when my life came down to the depths of despair and I had nothing and nobody to turn to, I knew who who it was who was reaching out to me in that moment. That was because somebody had taught me when I was young in a way that I could understand.

Scripture does not tell us about the children and what they were doing when Paul and the apostles and the saints were preaching the gospel in the first churches. Jesus did say to let the little children come unto Him. Sometimes I think it is man and his pride that gets in the way of things, rather than following the heart of our Lord in these things.

14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You may be right bubby jimmy. My mother taught me also and I am sure that old regular's mother taught him. You may of not got anything from the service but the fact that I knew they had something I didn't stuck with me. As far as Little Ida, don't know how far you go back but there was Sid Hudson, L E Smith, Roy Caudill as moderators and others I knew. Dorton I know several there also and we did call one brother from there, Jerry Estep but he ran off with a young girl, I don't know if you know him or not. Where in Fla do you live and have you ever went to any of the Old Regulars down there? I wish every home had a old time christian mother teaching her young but unfortunately that is not the case. I guess we could just sit back and wait but I doubt if that is what the Lord wanted us to do.

15. bubba jimmy

bubba jimmy New Member

I believe Sid Hudson was the moderator back in the 1960's at Little Ida. Isn't Brother Caudill still the moderator there? I remember some interesting things about Sid Hudson in particular, but I'll not go into it here. I don't recall Jerry Estep or who the moderators were at Dorton, but I remember Boyd Smallwood and Paul Mattingly and some of the other preachers. My great-grandpa was an ORB preacher until he died - Mahlon Burke - but I don't know what church he belonged to. He died when I was too young to remember him really.

#395 bubba jimmy, Oct 28, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2006
  16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Yes, Brother Caudill is still Moderator at Little Ida but is no longer Moderator of Northern New Salem Association. Bro. Buddy Carty is Moderator of Association now.
    I know about Sid Hudson, I am 67 myself. They have been trying to get me to come to Dorton for some time. I hope to get there sometime. I have a brother-in-law who lives around Daytona and a sister-in-law who lives in Ft. Myers Fla.

17. bubba jimmy

bubba jimmy New Member

I neglected to answer your other question. I live on the central Atlantic coast area of Florida near Kennedy Space Center. No, I wasn't aware of any ORB churches in Florida. Do you know where?

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Union Association
    1. Naomi
    Hollister, Fla
    Clerk
    Randy Ratliff 352-546-5056
    165 Ratliff Trail, Interlachen, fla. 32148

2. Little Ruth
    Clerk
    Billy Hutchings 904-284-9686
    3264 Manhattan Av.
    Green Cove Springs, Fl 32043

Sardis Association
    1. Southern Home
    Sparr, Fl
    Clerk
    Bruce P. Forsyth
    P.O. 396
    Sparr, Fl 32192
    William Adair
    4358 N.E. 19th Ave
    Ocala, Fl 34479
    Phone 352-629-7888

2. Okeechobee
    Clerk
    Ronald Knox
    316 Holiday Blvd
    Clewiston, Fl 33440
    Stanley Campbell Sr
    Phone 352-368-3998

May be others can't find them right now but some of these brethren can tell you where they all are. I was at Coral Beech once which is close to you and went from there to the Southern Home Church. Not sure I spelled Cora right though, but sure you will know.

19. Virginia ORB

Virginia ORB Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have found three other churches besides what Brother Bob found:

Union Association
    Crystal Springs Church
    40122 Mason Rd., Zephyrhills, FL

Clerk: Tony Mosley 813-715-1386

New Salem Association
    Myrtle Church, Melbourne, FL

Clerk: Auttis Cox 321-676-2529

Bethel Association
    Mary Elizabeth Church, Hollister, FL

Clerk: Bob Branham P.O. Box 201, Hollister, FL 32147

20. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I wonder all the time how many people are on Baptist Board that are right around me here in Eastern Kentucky.

Hi Virginia; I saw your moderator and I think Assistant Moderator at the funeral of Elder Hiriam Adkins the other day. I sat beside of Brother Elwood during the service. It was good to see him again. I had not seen him for several years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.