1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Old Regular Baptist

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Frogman, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I have felt and still do that you have been reasonable with me. I think our ironing out and holding each other to the line we have gotten closer to the true answer. You have not got hyper with me when I disagree with you and I pray I have been civil with you. I love this "Old time Way" and will still be walking the path when I get my call.

BTW, I am sending you 3 more books tomorrow so you will have one for each church and one for yourself.

#521 Brother Bob, Dec 25, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2006
  2. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brothers should act like brothers no matter where they are,I have made many mistakes through the years some because I had a zeal, but not the knowledge, iron sharpeneth iron, you have caused me to state things in a more understandable way, and to define them , using Biblical terms and yes our young people are looking up with questioning eyes, we have already lost a generation, if we lose another ,then there is death in the pot .You most likely understand the otherside's positions better than most of your brothers in the Sardis, there are leaders in the Union, that also have taken much time to look at the divisions and these men are very gracious,and will surrender a point here and there, they are not the obstacles, in reuniting Old Regulars, there are obstacles, but most are really not doctrine as much as practice although neither side will tolerate extremes in doctrine and we [ old regulars] do have brothers who have went to the extreme on both sides, Arminians vs Supralapsarian's, in practice my home association would be much like the New Salem a little harder on excessive jewelry, more open as far as preaching with Uniteds and Primitives, we would not tolerate two people that are divorced from each other and married to others to belong in the same church like I have seen in NNS, I think that this failed, and that condition is no more in that church, but not by church censure, they themselves left.But there is short hair, in some of the correspondence and Sisters wearing pants in public, some on this side have ministers that we consider doublemarried, but Thorton Union has put a stop on that practice, and others have past orders like the Mountain Association against the practice, we as an association have no right on this side to interfere with the sister associations practices as they all hold their own key, they do not cause us any problems likewise, for our practices, there are a lot of good oldtime brothers and sisters, who keep the oldtime way if not in their own church at least in their own homes,I have heard alot more scriptures preached, and texts taken than when I was with your side, but they also see that the condition that most of our churches in, are not favorable, few churches have many young people attending, I have attended associations where I was the youngest preacher present in age and I am 43, I sometimes donot know what to do except pray and fast, and cry to the Lord,the doctrine preached is not usually fatalistic, some can not seem to forget the divisons, and keep it stired to the point, that it drives many away, we do not better ourselves by getting in the stand and calling the Union all freewills and on the otherhand there is no edification in the otherside calling us all hardshells, neither statement is true, but it is easy to get caught up in the debate, and then the only winner is the devil because he has caused precious time, that could have been used feeding the lambs, to be used for ill purposes,I think some doctrines need to be rebuked, but what profit is it , if the ones guilty are not there to hear it, and the ones you are preaching to, are of the same flavor as you. Bro.Mike

3. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have never gotten involved with the Arminian---Calvinist debate forum because I am not either, I would be considered Calvinistic as you would also be, but we are not true Calvinist nor would we be true Arminians while holding to federalism in some forms, Old Regular Baptist have modified some positions,and have denied others, we may be called hyper-calvinistic by some because we don't believe in the mission boards but we stress human responsiability, which most true hypers would not, we would sing someone down who would preach God is the author of sin, the Regular Baptist would not have that God decreed sin nor would they hold that man can save himself.I do not believe that God saves a man against his will, but rather he can make him willing and gives him a will and do that is consitent to his will, and we should let this mind be in us as it is in Christ we must also learn obedience by the things we suffer. We have no order concerning the color of our songbooks but we do have members that like the black books. Thanks Bro.Mike

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Thanks, its been a good discussion. I think theology and how it had changed is History also, so I don't think we misused the forum. Have a good nite, the old man has to go to bed. If you ever meet me, you wouldn't think I had ever had a sick day. I just don't believe in moping around. I learned a long time ago to live with what the Lord gives me and be thankful.

5. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Eternal Children

I think this is the most historical debate, among the Old Regular Baptist since the divide during the 1890's,As to eternal children I can think one scripture, that will show, that we were not created at the same time in Christ[not that we were not in the mind of God who calleth those thingsWhich be not as though they were] is in Romans 16:7 "...................,who also were in Christ before me." This is apostle Paul who wrote the 1st chapter of Ephesians, surely if he meant chosen in Christ to mean we existed in Christ before the foundation of the world, he would not have written the verse in Romans,God in his foreknowledge prognosis pronotio,or prescience did embrace all things , as distinct objects of regard which were not as though they were, and they could have a representation in the foreknowledge of God not esse actu but an esse representativum.I believe he is speaking at first to the church at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus, he is refering to all the elect that has been or will be, when you get to the 10th verse the subject changes and he is speaking that Christ might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven,and which are on earth, so he is now speaking of the gathering the 11vs is to the Jews who first trusted in Christ [12th vs]then the 13th verse is to the Gentiles, So I believe he is speaking of all vs 1---10 then to those who first trusted in Christ, then to the Gentiles or those who latter on trusted after they heard the word of truth the gospel.....(Which I understand to be Christ because of the Pro- noun in Whom) not the preached word of a two legged man ,though if one hears not Christ they will not hear the gospel and not hearing the preached word is also judgement, the light of the gospel can not shine unto them, I do not believe in gospel regeneration, but nor do I believe we should disregard the gospel as the means of gathering sheep into the local fold. I hope this helps, as I really had rather not debate this subject as therehas been several books written on it, and the Old Line Primitives have done a job far superior to anything I could do,writting on this subject, thank you.I have no objection to the term eternal children if you are speaking of God children being given the gift of eternal life, which Christ gives to them in time but which was promised before the world began.Brother Mike Slone {I am willing to discuss this with you, if you preach in your association and they understand what your preaching you will find yourself in hot water,I understand where you are coming from, and I am friends with brothers that believe like you , but I know of not one in the SGA, that sees it like that, but there are some in the Primitive that do{not Old Line}Brother Slone

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I suppose you are just explaining to me the doctrine of eternal children? Or are you speaking to someone else.

If to me, it goes on to say in whom ye also trusted after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and after you had believed then are you sealed with the Spirit of Holy promise.

If we didn't live so far apart, I would meet you for breakfast sometime. :)

#526 Brother Bob, Dec 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2006
  7. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No problem with you Brother Bob, I don't think you believe in the doctrine of eternal children no more than I do, it was meant for another, and I would have typed all the verse but I took Ag instead of typing in high school because typing was for girls, and as anyone reading these post can tell, my typing is poor, in College, I always had some of my classmates to type up my reports. I've had one computer class many moons ago, and everything has changed so much. I can work the computers in my office, but little else. I have been collecting history for our history page, which traces the SGA back. I would like to, in the near future, work on a more enlarged history of the Old Regular Baptist with all the association histories included, I would like to be able to list, all Old Regular Baptist/Regular Baptist Churches but I am finding independent bodies all the time, that belonged to one or more of the associations at one time but left, some can't remember why, some of Kyova's churches are now Independent, there was two sides to Mud River, Several Independent Churches exist from the Sardis,Indian Bottom,Thorton Union, Mountain,etc they contain over 500 members. I wouldn't even know how to begin to locate them.I also don't know if Ishould have a book printed and sale for cost,or put the information on the internet, and make it available to downloads. What do you think? I am still talking to Brother Bob but I am open to anyone suggestions. Brother Mike P.s sorry about the mix up

#527 old regular, Dec 26, 2006
  8. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Breakfast

My wife's family is from Pike County Brother Bob and she makes an excellent breakfast, gravy ,eggs,biscuits bacon etc.... your welcomed to come and stay a night or two.Her family's farm is under Fishtrap lake her mom was a Blackburn her father a Hobbs, she is related to the Layne's ,Hatfields all her people are mostly Old Regular Baptist in the Union Association, her Mother's family had some cousins in the Mate's Creek. Brother Mike

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Well, you certainly have a good knowledge of all the ORB, Primitive and United. I think it would be really good on the net but you would have to pay for a site large enough to hold that much material. As I told you before, as soon as the Sardis Association history is finished, I am supposed to get a dvd with all of it and I hope to be able to publish it on my site along with all of Perrigan History book. I understand that our ex clerk has made some corrections to the book. When I get all of mine I will make it available to you somehow. There is a brother in the "Old Indian Bottom" that is into history as well which sent me some stuff. I really don't have the time or the interest like you have to put it all together. I intend when I can to put some of our singing with lining the songs on my site soon. I could never get away with publishing sermons and it would not have the sound quality needed for the net anyway.

I am related to "devil anse Hatfield and Preacher Anderson Hatfield" they were part of the Hatfied vs McCoy fued here in the Ky mountians. I think there was a Hobbs fued over around the Jenkins area too back in the early days or at least I believe the name is Hobbs. I have a cousin and Aunt who live in Richmond. He is a preacher also. Maybe sometime we could get together when I visit him. There are several ORB of the Old Indian Bottom, with Black churches. I have been preaching with one of the black preachers the last few years, they call us together at a church in a memorial meeting. If you ever in this area, call me and I will meet you at Shoneys or Bob Evans in Pikeville.

#529 Brother Bob, Dec 26, 2006
  10. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Old School Baptist Fellowship Meeting

An Old School Baptist Fellowship Meeting, including the United, Old Regular, and different factions of the Primitive Baptist will be held at the Mt.Zion Old Regular Baptist Church located on St. Route 309 behind the roadside rest, 18 miles east of Lima, Ohio and 8 miles west of Kenton, Ohio near Ada and McGuffey, Ohio. This is to be held on March 30th @ 1p.m then the 31st @10a.m and continue through out the day then again on April,1st @ 10a.m for more details and arrangements contact: Brother David Charles 614-878-2797.During these services local Church order will be maintained, and groups not permitted to preach with others, will be allowed to separate their services as needed.This is not an association meeting, no work is to be done, just Old Time Baptist getting together and having the opportunity to hear one another's views, and getting to know each other better there will be meals served at the church. Everyone interested is invited and all Sovereign Grace Baptist may attend.There are Hotels near by and room for campers at the church. Elder Mike Slone

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I am back old regular. I got several emails asking me to come back to BB, so here I am.

12. Karen

Karen Active Member

I am glad to see you back.
    I think I would really enjoy meeting you, and that you add a perspective to many discussions that I would never have encountered in my SBC world.

13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

God bless you Karen; I needed that and you will never know how much. Thanks again,

BBob,

14. Bethelassoc

Bethelassoc Member

Old School Baptist Fellowship Meeting

Bro. Slone, I find this quite interesting. I will post this information on my website. I wish I had the opportunity to experience this meeting. I think it's about time to get together and not worry (too much) about preferences and enjoy a Spirit-filled service.

David

15. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fellowship Meeting

Dear BethelAsso, You and everyone else is welcomed, they usually put up Elders from different groups and they conduct their own service,this is because different associations and churches have orders not allowing their ministers to preach together, we respect everyone's feelings and order on such things.In the SGA I am permitted to preach directly with the Old United,Old Regular,Regular,Primitive,Old School ,but not the modern versions of the same, this was the original practice of all these groups until they started splitting and building walls, the walls are still there , but for a few days, we work around those walls , come, listen and talk with one another. All our welcomed Brother Mike Slone

16. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glad to see you back Brother Bob! Looking forward to your views. Brother Mike

17. Virginia ORB

Virginia ORB Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does anyone remember ever reading about a church called Good Hope? I came across one reference in which it listed Good Hope Church being in Buchanan County, VA in 1861. It was a Regular Primitive Baptist Church in the Mates Creek Association. It could have been around Haysi, which was then in Buchanan and now in Dickenson. Thanks, Keith Deel

18. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

I don't know about Good Hope, never heard of one over in Buchanan/Dickenson County, but there was one in what is now Grundy called Hell Creek about that same time. It has always been one of my favorite names for a church. :smilewinkgrin:

19. Bethelassoc

Bethelassoc Member

Fellowship Meeting

Bro Slone,

I don't believe that I could attend, but do you know if there will be an allowance for recording the services? If so, I truly would love to have copies of it.

David

20. Virginia ORB

Virginia ORB Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jeff, There is a church near Grundy called Hale Creek Old Regular Baptist Church in the Union Assoication. I believe that is the church your thinking about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.