1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Order of Salvation

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by MB, Jul 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christ said;
    Luk 8:5 A sower went out to sow his seed: and as he sowed, some fell by the way side; and it was trodden down, and the fowls of the air devoured it.
    Defined by Christ;
    Luk 8:11 Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.
    Luk 8:12 Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved..
    In my opinion Satan is at work as well and keeps many from being saved. I know from experience that having God's word in your heart. Will work towards our Salvation. What counts the most is that we continue to help make that seede grow

First of all Christ also said;
    Joh 12:32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.
    .Where the Father drew men is the first who followed Christ The disciples. When Christ first started His ministry He wasn't known that anyone would follow Him. Just the disciples at first. But after His ministry Christ drew all men as in Jn 12:32.

I didn't understand why I had to memorize scripture when I was a kid. My parents made me memorize long before I was saved. I thought , at the time, it was just to make my parents happy. Around the age of 14 I began to be interested so I began to study the Bible. I surrendered to Christ soon after this. All I can say is some men learn faster that others. Some will never learn We can never give up on men because we don't know when they may start to believe. This is why we preach the gospel to all.
    MB

• Like Like x 1
  2. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is not scriptural

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Read earlier in the thread man.

Just the measenger here

4. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In order to believe what one does not already believe, one must first change one's mind or view. Those Greek words are commonly and yes badly translated as repent or repentance. John in his gospel account does not cite Jesus where He was using those terms.

#44 37818, Jul 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once again we see Calvinist claiming the "measure of faith" refers to our faith in Christ. Hogwash. The "measure of faith" refers to our area of ministry within the faith (the ministry of Christ.)

6. Marooncat79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If He has given it to all then all would believe

7. Marooncat79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van
    That makes absolutely no sense

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    To which argument?
    You are referring mostly to later in the thread which I had not yet replied to.

Typically the word of God teaches faith precedes salvation. That is the issue. Nowhere in the word of God does salvation precede faith.

#48 37818, Jul 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing makes sense to those feigning blindness.

Once again we see Calvinist claiming the "measure of faith" refers to our faith in Christ. Hogwash. The "measure of faith" refers to our area of ministry within the faith (the ministry of Christ.) Romans 12:3-8

• Like Like x 1
  10. Barry Johnson

Barry Johnson Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another great verse is this one .
    2That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.
    13¶In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
    eph 1 .

• Like Like x 1
  11. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did God limit the amount of people who were saved by looking at the bronze serpent in the wilderness ? This is the example Jesus uses for John 3.16 after all . Or did whosever looked at the Serpent lived ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 12:33, ". . . This he said, signifying what death he should die."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do people have faith in doctors , pilots , chairs, dentists, wifes and husbands ?

14. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Faith" is such a big and complicated word. Do we have "faith"? When did it start? How much do we have? How much is enough faith? Can I loose it? Does God give it? Is it really my faith?

"Repent" is easier to understand. We can all remember being on our knees and seeking forgiveness from God. Those moments are burned into our memory like an Ebeneezer [stone of remembrance to mark an important event].

Funny how much we want to know if Faith came before Repentance or after ... as if it would change anything.

Let's talk about "SOMETHING". We will not call it "faith", because it might or might not be "faith" ... but it is "SOMETHING". This SOMETHING comes before we do anything. While Jesus was alive, the Father DREW disciples to Jesus and GAVE 'His sheep' to Jesus. Jesus Himself CHOSE His Apostles to come and follow Him. After the Crucifixion, Jesus says that He will DRAW all men to Himself. (I do not want to debate "everyone without exception" vs "some from every nation" in this topic.) So before or after the Crucifixion, there is a DRAW by God that must logically come before any act on our part. This DRAW is that "SOMETHING" that I want to point out.

We see this SOMETHING at work in Acts.
    In Acts 2 we see God DRAW a crowd and begin to do SOMETHING to some of them and not to others ...
    • 12 And they all continued in amazement and great perplexity, saying to one another, “What does this mean?” 13 But others were mocking and saying, “They are full of sweet wine.”
    After this, we see Peter deliver the words from God under the anointing of the Holy Spirit (sorry if my Pentecostal roots are showing) ...
    • 14 But Peter, taking his stand with the eleven, raised his voice and declared to them:
    There can be little doubt to any Christian that the Word of God has power. As Scripture says, God's words do not return void but accomplish their purpose (as an aside, I was always impressed how the same word makes a ready heart more ready and a hard heart even harder). Even here, God seems to have done SOMETHING in their heart during the hearing and before any action on their part. I personally believe that this is the work of the Holy Spirit; to do SOMETHING to DRAW us to Christ ...
    • 37 Now when they heard this, they were pierced to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Brethren, what shall we do?”
    Only after God has done His SOMETHING, do we see Peter commanding the people what they must do ...
    • 38 Peter said to them, “Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off, as many as the Lord our God will call to Himself.

In Acts 16, SOMETHING happened in the heart of Lydia and in the heart of the Jailer ...
    • 14 A woman named Lydia, from the city of Thyatira, a seller of purple fabrics, a worshiper of God, was listening; and the Lord opened her heart to respond to the things spoken by Paul. 15 And when she and her household had been baptized, she urged us, saying, "If you have judged me to be faithful to the Lord, come into my house and stay." And she prevailed upon us.
    • 29 And he called for lights and rushed in, and trembling with fear he fell down before Paul and Silas, 30 and after he brought them out, he said, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" 31 They said, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household." 32 And they spoke the word of the Lord to him together with all who were in his house.

What then is the role of this often seen (and personally experienced) SOMETHING that seems to precede the call for us to do anything?

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A-men Barry the Bible is full of verses that say Belief comes before Salvation. Praise God for His truth.
    MB

• Like Like x 1
  16. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You would have to prove this to me. All men have the ability to believe. You have to deny what scripture says to believe other wise.
    MB

• Like Like x 1
  17. Marooncat79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not literally everyone but people from all nations and tribes and to

I believe that man is at the mercy of God. Meaning- until God does something, man can do nothing

• Like Like x 1
  18. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you believe the Gospel? or did
    Regeneration preceding faith has to be one of the most radical concepts ever to come out of christianity.

19. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But only those with the Holy Spirit can hear God's word. The flesh cannot grasp it in truth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    God sent his Son ,what more do you want ?

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.