1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Organic foods

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by evangelist6589, Jun 22, 2016.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some these days want you to believe that organic foods are always healthier for you, but this may be more hype than truth. I asked the doctor today if I could eat organic candy, and she said its still candy so avoid it. Doctor also did not say that organic milk is healthier for me, nor organic cheeseburgers or what not.

So whats the deal about organic foods other than the fact it costs 2-4 times as much as regular?

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As an oversimplification: Your standard cows, chickens, etc. are given hormones, antibiotics, and other "additives" that get them to the refrigerated shelf as quickly as possible, and keep them on the shelf as long as possible.

"Organic" claims not to use those same chemicals, and be healthier for you. But not all organic brands are equal.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Not everything that is not organic is going to have hormones and stuff. The milk that comes from our local dairy company is all hormone and antibiotic free.

There is no magic in organic foods that make it "healthier" but there are some pesticides and things that are not that great for you. In some things it's worth paying for organic (foods that you can't wash well before you eat them like strawberries) and others that it matters very little (bananas for one).