1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Origin of the TERM King James Only

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by rlvaughn, Jan 4, 2021.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In a remonstrance against David Cloud titled "Cloudy Inspiration," Herb Evans writes the following:
    At first I thought he was only saying he was the first using it positively, but after reading this over a few times, I think he is saying he used it in a positive way before others used it in a negative way.

What think ye?

2. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, it looks like Robert L. Sumner has made a competing claim in The Biblical Evangelist, “Dean Burgon on ‘Revision!’
    After that he writes, seeming to say it was in his article Bible Translations:
    I have this booklet and am going to look through it.

3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The KJVO myth is fairly-prevalent among SDAs, as their guru, Ellen White, used the KJV. Some pentecostal branches seem pretty KJVO while others aren't. Several local Southern Baptist churches in my area are, with one even having "King James Bible" on its shingle. And more than one nondenom congregation is, as are many "holiness" churches.

Still beyond me how anyone with more common sense than God gave a grape can't see how false the whole KJVO myth is !

4. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In addition to the (unsupported) assertions of Evans and Sumner (as well as the guy who blamed the academic staff at BJU), Homer Austin Kent might be a contender. Last night I went to WorldCat.org and searched for library holdings with "King James Only" in the title.

The Concordia Theological Seminary Library has a one sheet writing titled The King James Only?. It was written by Homer Austin Kent, Jr (1926-2020) of the Grace Theological Seminary. It was written sometime in the 1970s. Unfortunately, without reading it, I can't know how it uses the term (other than knowing that Kent would not have supported King James as the only inspired Bible, since he was one of the translators of the original NIV for the book of Hebrews).

5. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My copy of Robert Sumner's booklet Bible Translations stated that it was reprinted from the Biblical Evangelist, January, 1979.
    The article was also published in the Sword of the Lord since my copy includes a reprint of a March 6, 1979, letter from E. C. Haskell that was thanking Dr. John R. Rice for publishing it in the last issue. Perhaps it was published in The Sword in February.

On the first page, Robert Sumner asked the question "Is the King James Version the Only Trustworthy Translation", but I have not noticed the term KJV-only or King James only is his booklet.

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AP newspaper photo of Hux (a 'Sovereign Grace' independent Baptist by the way) holding match to page torn from Isaiah of Revised Standard Version, here:

Pastor burns leaf from new RSV Bible - Newspapers.com

an Ohio preacher went further, actually took a blowtorch to an RSV Bible:

"The Rev. Bill Denton announced today he will burn a copy of the revised standard version of the Bible next Sunday at his Furnace St. Mission grounds. The minister, backed by some 30 other Protestant clergymen who criticized the RVS Bible in a written statement Wednesday, said it destroys the miraculous act of God as regards the virgin birth. 'I shall burn it,' he said, 'to show we still have Christians who will not stand for such modernistic translations of God's word.' For the burning, said the Rev. Denton, he will use a blowtorch."

photo of event here:

Burning of RSV Bible, Akron, Ohio, 1953

#46 Jerome, Jan 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I concur, it must have been published in The Sword in February of that year. If I remember correctly, it was a weekly back then, so might have possibly been in very early March.
    Thanks for checking. I scanned through mine last night (didn't have time to read it word for word), and came to the same conclusion. Perhaps that phrase was what Sumner had in mind (unless we missed it), but I don't see that as rising to the level of inventing the term King James Only.

8. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  9. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Evidently, neither of those gents checked the HEBREW for Isaiah 14:12, nor did they know what an almah is. If an almah is single, her virginity is a gimme.

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just looks like any type of new translation brings concerns for somebody!

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seems that most of the issues has arised though among IFB?

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still confused on this, is there a 1611 KJVO, and other KJV editions KJVO?

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are right that many into Charismatic Chaos do tend to use KJV only!

14. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No doubt IFB's are called "Fightin' Fundamentalist" for a reason. However, I expect that we being Baptists also aren't as aware of the fights among other groups.
    Maybe so, but Daniel Wallace contends that "the RSV...is in fact the most hated English translation of all time."

15. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not that I know of.

16. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a copy of a tract entitled "The King James Only?" by Homer A. Kent, Jr. that was printed by Grace Theological Seminary. It is not dated. The same article was printed in the Fall, 1983, issue of Spire, a publication of Grace Theological Seminary. The tract may come from the article so that it may have been written in the early 1980's. I do not notice that he defined the term used in his title.

Homer Kent Jr. wrote: "There have recently appeared tracts, pamphlets, and even a few books vigorously defending the King James Version and practically anathematizing all others as liberal plots to undermine the Word of God" (p. 3)

#56 Logos1560, Jan 7, 2021
  17. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    (pdf) Bob Jones University Bulletin, January 1953 "Bob Jones University's Position on New Bible Translation"

"Bob Jones University has taken a very clear and strong position against the Revised Standard Version of the Bible, which was issued by the National Council of the Churches of Christ in America recently. Dr. Jones, Sr. has repeatedly warned the public that any translation that tries to 'play down' Jesus Christ as the divine Son of God is plainly an instrument of Satan, and anyone who defends this translation is either ignorant of the facts or is liberal in his theology."

#57 Jerome, Jan 7, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What Concordia has may be that tract, since they describe it as “1 folded sheet ; 22 cm”. I am not sure how they arrived at the date 197-?. Perhaps there is something in it that mentions a date and they know it has to be after that.

How does he "King James Only" in the tract?

19. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't want to go too far down this road, since it can lead us way off the topic, but here are a couple of examples.

In the Pentecostal realm, two names have cropped up a lot in my searches, Craig Savige and Matthew Verschuur, associated with the Victory Faith Centre in Victoria, Australia.

Awhile back I read a blog by an Orthodox priest who complained that some folks insisted on using only King James Orthodox services (i.e., services in the English language). He spoke of those who insisted on it as a minority, "but they are a strong enough force to prevent the updating of the Orthodox Divine Liturgy into modern English in at least one jurisdiction."

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WoW. they are starting to really branch out!