1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

OSAS does not survive the "sola scriptura" test

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Jan 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You have a very unique belief system. Anyone who does good is saved, help your neighbor - saved, give to the poor - saved, reject Jesus Christ - saved, but then you argue for losing salvation, betray Jesus Christ - lost, break a commandment - lost, commit a sin - lost. I would include stop believing, but you believe that doesn't matter anyways.

Now if i am wrong, can you give us a list of what would cause a saved person to lose their salvation?

2. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

They call him traitor, because he is a traitor.

If he was never on the side of Christ, there is no betrayal at all.

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Guessing again perhaps Romans 11:24 was thought to teach loss of salvation.
    Here we have the corporately chosen people of Israel (Jews) being hardened to facilitate the spread of the gospel to the Gentiles (non-Jews). Were the Jews that were cut off believers? Nope, they were non-believers, and therefore not true Israel. So no loss of salvation under the New Covenant is being taught.

4. utilyan

Site Supporter

I agree starting with what Jesus says is a good starting point.

John 3

36“He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”

John 14

15“If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.

John 10

37“If I do not do the works of My Father, do not believe Me; 38but if I do them, though you do not believe Me, believe the works, so that you may know and understand that the Father is in Me, and I in the Father.”

John 14

11“Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me; otherwise believe because of the works themselves. 12“Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these he will do; because I go to the Father

Quite clear Jesus prioritizes the commandments.

He could have easily said , believe who I am and worship me, else you are toast. Far Cry from that.

Everyone is given a measure of faith, who ever is given more, more is expected from them. There is a greater requirement of you then what is required of a Jew or Muslim.

Jesus Christ is not a terrorist. He wants you to sincerely learn and believe him.

5. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Lot's of people are on the side of Christ whom do not believe He is the Son of God. I.E. Muslims.

6. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This sounds like Calvinism. One only has the faith which God has given them. Debate over! Don't bother trying to convince anyone Jesus is Lord, they will only believe if God makes them believe.

7. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Prioritized for salvation??? The subject here is OSAS - Salvation.

Let's see what the Pope Peter had to say about your and SDA commandment keeping and justification...

"For David, after he had served his own generation by the will of God, fell on sleep, and was laid unto his fathers, and saw corruption:
    But he, whom God raised again, saw no corruption.
    Be it known unto you therefore, men and brethren, that through this man is preached unto you the forgiveness of sins:
    And by him
    all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses."

There goes your commandment keeping salvation right out the door! You do believe what Pope Peter had to say don't you? ...ye could not be justified by the law of Moses."

#47 steaver, Jan 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus Himself said the ONLY thing God requires to have someone be saved is to receive Jesus as their messiah thru Faith!

9. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Until you read the text ...

17 But if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive (GENTILE) were grafted in among them (JEWS) and became partaker with them of the rich root of the olive tree, 18 do not be arrogant toward the branches; but if you are arrogant, remember that it is not you who supports the root, but the root supports you. 19 You will say then, “Branches were broken off so that I might be grafted in.” 20 Quite right, they (JEWS) were broken off for their unbelief, but you stand by your faith. Do not be conceited, but fear; 21 for if God did not spare the natural branches (Jews), He will not spare you, either. 22 Behold then the kindness and severity of God; to those who fell, severity, but to you, God’s kindness, if you continue in His kindness; otherwise you also will be cut off. 23 And they also, if they do not continue in their unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again. 24 For if you were cut off from what is by nature a wild olive tree (i.e. - a believing gentile), and were grafted contrary to nature into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these who are the natural branches be grafted into their own olive tree?

"every branch IN ME"

John 15
    “I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. 2 Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit, He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit, He prunes it so that it may bear more fruit. 3...6 If anyone does not abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire and they are burned.

Christ is not in the business of taking all the lost and casting them away - rather He draws them to Himself for salvation.

The ones being cut off and cast away are the one's "IN ME" that do not bear fruit.

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    funny.. :)

You are right that the term "saved" has to do with THIS life - being born again, a new creation, forgiven of sin... Spirit filled etc.

That person can lose salvation as Matthew 18 and Ezek 18 and Romans 11 and Hebrews 6 point out.

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There no verses that show nay really saved perosn losing eternal life, for once saved, its up to the Holy Spirit to keep us saved and sealed! Can you overpower Him?

12. utilyan

Site Supporter

Paul is not the pope. Moses is not God. Moses Law is like circumcision 613 jewish laws.

The Commandments are absolute required in so much as they are not actively followed your already in hell. Your already separated from God.

This is the easy thing for you to prove me wrong.

Show me that saved fella who hates God and hates his neighbors. Give me a name.

13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Until you read Matthew 18 - full forgiveness... then it is revoked.

1. Is it your claim that the lost have full forgiveness... have experienced full forgiveness of all sins to such a degree that they are called to truly forgive others JUST AS they themselves have already experienced full forgiveness of sins??? And that then refusing to do so .. they experience "forgiveness revoked".

2. OR is it your claim that the saved - after being fully forgiven then judged and all forgiveness of sins revoked - go through the flames of hell - pay their own debt of sin .. then go to heaven???

Matt 18
    32 Then summoning him, his lord *said to him, ‘You wicked slave, I forgave you all that debt because you pleaded with me. 33 Should you not also have had mercy on your fellow slave, in the same way that I had mercy on you?’ 34 And his lord, moved with anger, handed him over to the torturers until he should repay all that was owed him. 35 My heavenly Father will also do the same to you, if each of you does not forgive his brother from your heart.”

If we are Christians then by definition we listen to the teaching of Christ.

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Which brings them to salvation -- having experienced "full forgiveness of sins"

But then... "they live another day" - in that day Romans 2:4-16 applies
    And in that day Matthew 18:32-35 applies
    And in that day 1 Cor 9 applies

23 I do all things for the sake of the gospel, so that I may become a fellow partaker of it.
    24 Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win. 25 Everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things. They then do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. 26 Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in such a way, as not beating the air; 27 but I discipline my body and make it my slave, lest after I have preached (the gospel) to others, I myself should be a castaway.

26 I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:
    27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

15. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The "you" in the case of vs 22 and 24 is "the gentile believer"
    The "these who are natural branches" of vs 24 is unbelieving Jews (not all Jews - for Paul himself is a believing Jew as are all the Apostles)

Rom 2
    17 But if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive (GENTILE) were grafted in among them (JEWS) and became partaker with them of the rich root of the olive tree, 18 do not be arrogant toward the branches; but if you are arrogant, remember that it is not you who supports the root, but the root supports you. 19 You will say then, “Branches were broken off so that I might be grafted in.” 20 Quite right, they (JEWS) were broken off for their unbelief, but you stand by your faith. Do not be conceited, but fear; 21 for if God did not spare the natural branches (Jews), He will not spare you, either. 22 Behold then the kindness and severity of God; to those who fell, severity, but to you, God’s kindness, if you continue in His kindness; otherwise you also will be cut off. 23 And they also, if they do not continue in their unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again. 24 For if you were cut off from what is by nature a wild olive tree (i.e. - a believing gentile), and were grafted contrary to nature into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these who are the natural branches be grafted into their own olive tree?

Paul does NOT contrast believing Jews with believing Gentiles in Romans 11... but rather unbelieving Jews with believing gentiles.

And the "you" who stands only by your faith... is the believing gentile

That is the same "you who should fear"
    but you stand by your faith. Do not be conceited, but fear; 21 for if God did not spare the natural branches (Jews), He will not spare you, either. 22 Behold then the kindness and severity of God; to those who fell, severity, but to you, God’s kindness, if you continue in His kindness; otherwise you also will be cut off.

16. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    interesting point.

Those who claim they will be 'taking God's name in vain all the way to heaven" don't understand the Gospel.

The Bible says "the saints KEEP the Commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus" Rev 14:12
    The Bible says "what matters is KEEPING the Commandments of God" 1 Cor 7:19
    The Bible says "NOT everyone who SAYS Lord Lord will enter.. but he who DOES the will of the Father" Matthew 7
    The Bible says "not the HEARERS of the LAW are just before God but the DOERS of the LAW will be justifIED" Rom 2:13
    The Bible says "THIS the LOVE of God - that we KEEP His Commandments" 1 John 5:2-3
    The Bible says "the one who SAYS he knows Christ but does not KEEP His Commandments is lying"
    1 John 2 4 He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5 But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him. 6 He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked.

Mark 7:6-13 "In vain do they worship Me" -- a sermon by Christ about those who come up with many jirations for rebellion against one of God's commandments.

17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To repeat, the Jews that were cut off were unbelieving Jews. Any Gentiles to be cut off would be unbelieving Gentiles. The question for you to address is why do you think a person who has been saved under the New Covenant, would not continue in the faith. But a person can profess belief (the Lord, Lord folks of Matthew 7) yet not be saved.

Bottom line, there is no support in scripture for loss of salvation in Christ. God Himself puts a believer into Christ, and nothing can take him or her out. The only people who do not continue in His kindness are those never transferred into Christ.

18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    To repeat.

1. God is in the business of evangelizing unbelievers. That is the whole point of the Gospel and Jewish saints are listed in Hebrews 11.
    2. "you stand only by your faith" and "you must persevere in doing good -- or else" message of Romans 11 is not at all about "persevering as an unbeliever" -- it is spoken to a believer -- telling the believer they must persevere in their position or else be cut off as were jews who chose unbelief.

Your argument is "with the text"

It is Paul that identifies them this way

1. but you stand by your faith. Do not be conceited, but fear;
    2. God’s kindness, if you continue in His kindness

That is not the identification of an "unbeliever" -- this is incredibly obvious to all of us.

your question then is to Paul -- asking why he is warning the believer against turning to unbelief

21 for if God did not spare the natural branches (Jews), He will not spare you, either. 22 Behold then the kindness and severity of God; to those who fell, severity, but to you, God’s kindness, if you continue in His kindness; otherwise you also will be cut off.

"otherwise" is pointing to a different future - instead of a "continue in his kindness" future - the one who 'stands by faith" may in the future choose some other course and is being warned not to do that... warned to "persevere" as Paul also says in Romans 2.

Your question is to Paul.

you can not fail to "continue" to persevere in something you never had to start with -- your statement is expressed in the form of a self-contradiction so that it could never happen -- which is a good example of what we do NOT find Paul writing in Romans 11.

You knew that right?

By contrast these are examples of statements that are not self-conflicted

1. If you DO persevere as a lost person in your unbelief - you will still be lost.
    2. If you do NOT persevere as one 'who stands by faith" and so in the future you choose not to "continue" in his kindness - you will be lost

OSAS does not survive the test of Romans 11 and this is obvious to unbiased objective Bible students.

"reworking" or "fixing" the text as with all the texts in my list - is what OSAS "needs" to do ... but in this case there is 'no fix' that makes sense so it is stuck ignoring almost every detail in the text in its efforts to "rewrite it" to fit.

What false doctrine in the dark ages could not "thrive" if such methods in wrenching the text were legit? We all know that 'nothing' would have been rejected in such a case.

#58 BobRyan, Jan 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good grief, I have no interest in a download of ;non-germane boilerplate.
    Nowhere does it say they were not tares. What seems obvious is you read your presuppositions into the text and expect others to do the same.

Because the church has tares within it, those professing they went "all in" for Jesus but they didn't, just like the second and third soils.

What does it mean to "continue in His kindness?" How about "if you continue in His kindness" means "if you are actually saved?" Otherwise, you are going to Hades.

Who are the ones who persevere in "doing good." Those born anew, actually saved.

Lastly, you are the one reading between the lines with a biased view, I am going by what scripture says, such as when we are sealed in Christ, we are indwelt ... forever!

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did the death of Jesus cover all sins that a saved will ever do or not?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.