1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Our Undergirding

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Van, Jul 6, 2013.

1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread reminds me of two commercials from years ago.

The non-cal side: "Have it your way, at Burger King."

The cal side: "Fly the friendly skies of United."

Why that commercial? Because "The pre-merger United logo, a stylized "U" that is universally referred to as the "tulip." :)

2. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

And yet their slogan was "Let's fly TOGETHER" :)

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seven pages and counting. Archangel claimed I never said what I said in the OP, and then said he does not care that he made a material false statement, calculated to disparage me.

Yeshua1 asks questions in nearly every post, but when I ask him a question, he does not answer it. I guess he misread the do unto others teaching of Christ.

Agedman simply asserts Dr. Daniel Wallace does not know how to properly translate, and that accept, receive, welcome and take and make your own is not in scripture.

Calvinism has again been shown to be mistaken doctrine, and those defending it use absurdity, disinformation, and false claims. No one has addressed the fact that our faith in Christ should bind us to Christ's teachings, such that we follow Him and no go our own way.

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pistis is the transliteration of the Greek term translated in the KJV as "faith" Pistis is formed from two roots, "Piq" meaning bind, and "tis" having the same function as "er" in English. So fundamentally, the Greek term means "binder" or that which binds.

Now lets look at how the Bible defines the term contextually. Hebrews 11:1, "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." The word translated "substance" comes from the Greek hupostatis, which means "under" "stand" having nothing to do with comprehension, but rather with what undergirds what we stand for. So "faith" is what undergirds our hope for the realization of the promises of God. The next word of interest, "evidence" comes from the Greek elegchos, which means that which brings to light what is not easily seen. For example, in 2 Timothy 3:16, the AV translates it "reproof" indicating scripture is profitable because it brings to light our sins.

In summary, Faith (Pistis) refers to our heart-felt conviction that Jesus is the Son of God and the Messiah sent from God, and this conviction binds us such that our subsequent attitudes, hopes and deeds are tied to the reality of Jesus as our Savior.

As Paul liked to say, referring to Habakkuk, the righteous man lives by faith. Do we live like someone indebted to the one who saved us, a bondservant of Christ, or like some ungrateful twit?

Romans 1:17, "For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “But the righteous man shall live by faith.” Here we see Paul, referring to Habakkuk 2:4. An interesting tidbit is the "by" faith. The Greek word, transliterated "ek" means out of or from and indicates origin. Thus the way a righteous man lives has its origin and comes from his faith, how he is bound by his indebtedness to Christ who removed his sin burden, thus a righteous man.

Paul presents this idea many times, it is central to his inspired teachings. It undergirds everything he teaches in the Pauline letters.

Did Paul consider himself a "bondservant" (NASB) of Christ? Yes, Romans 1:1

Did James consider himself a "bondservant (NASB) of Christ? Yes, James 1:1 NASB

Did John consider himself a "bondservant (NASB) of Christ?Yes, Revelation 1:1 NASB

Do you consider yourself a "bondservant" of Christ?

Does your faith bind you to Christ, as to someone you owe everything to and thus willingly serve Him? Yes, but our faith does not bind us as strongly as it should if we had more love, devotion and trust in our Savior

Did you bother to learn all that Christ commanded. Yes, I posted the study on this forum.

How much like Christ have you become. I am so far from being like Christ I am not worthy to untie His shoes, but each day I continue to try and grow more like Him in every way.

Do you have compassion for the lost. Yes, like many Christians, I have tried to help others come to putting their trust in Christ, for example working in AWANA

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Hebrews 11:i teaches that our faith undergirds our hope and trust in the promises of God, and brings to light how well we follow Christ in paths of righteousness.

Would Christ, covered in scars, smile at you and say, "Oh you of little faith? Yes, but He has opened His arms to me as the least of His

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    THE GIFT OF FAITH?

It has been asserted that the Bible says that God gives to each person that is saved, the gift of faith because in his or her total depravity, they could not believe and place their trust in Christ. However, this is yet another false teaching.

But lets address one stumbling block at the first, otherwise, everything that follows will be rejected. Everything has a cause, except God who is the Uncaused Cause. Therefore, God directly or indirectly causes all things. It is God that gave man the capacity to choose, to accept or reject the gospel, and so it is correct, in this sense, to say God gave us the gift of faith. But, to take this further and to say God compelled us with irresistible grace to accept the gospel because we are otherwise precluded is unnecessary and wrong.

Faith can be facts, as is the body of information Christians believe in. Faith can be the act of accepting the facts as truths - to put faith to Christ. And, after one has accepted and trusted in the facts, placed their faith in God and His Christ, the faith becomes the believer’s assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. Finally, Faith can mean fidelity, how faithfully we follow the leading of the Holy Spirit as we walk humbly with our Lord.

Certainly, the facts and information of Christ are a gift from God – His revealing grace. God gave His Son so that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. When we readily accept this gift of faith (the body of knowledge concerning God and Christ as revealed in His word), the faith becomes our faith or faith in us. So the bone of contention is not that God is the source of our faith, or that our faith in Christ was brought to us by the power of the Holy Spirit, but rather whether we readily accepted the gospel and hence the gift of faith, or if the Holy Spirit enabled our acceptance through magic mind manipulation. What Calvinists claim is that the gift of faith is the Holy Spirit enabling our acceptance of the gospel through magic mind manipulation. The correct view in my opinion is that God gave us through the Holy Spirit the gospel of Christ and the gospel is powerful and convicting, but the conviction is ours.

The gift of revealing grace, is not in dispute. Nor is the gift of salvation. But sandwiched between these is our response to the gift of revealing grace. Here is how Spurgeon described the gift of revealing grace: “Well can I remember the manner in which I learned the doctrines of grace in a single instant. Born, as all of us are by nature, an Arminian, I still believed the old things I had heard continually from the pulpit, and did not see the grace of God. When I was coming to Christ, I thought I was doing it all myself, and though I sought the Lord earnestly, I had no idea the Lord was seeking me. I do not think the young convert is at first aware of this. I can recall the very day and hour when first I received those truths in my own soul—when they were, as John Bunyan says, burnt into my heart as with a hot iron, and I can recollect how I felt that I had grown on a sudden from a babe into a man—that I had made progress in Scriptural knowledge, through having found, once for all, the clue to the truth of God. One week-night, when I was sitting in the house of God, I was not thinking much about the preacher's sermon, for I did not believe it. The thought struck me, How did you come to be a Christian? I sought the Lord. But how did you come to seek the Lord? The truth flashed across my mind in a moment—I should not have sought Him unless there had been some previous influence in my mind to make me seek Him. I prayed, thought I, but then I asked myself, How came I to pray? I was induced to pray by reading the Scriptures. How came I to read the Scriptures? I did read them, but what led me to do so? Then, in a moment, I saw that God was at the bottom of it all, and that He was the Author of my faith, and so the whole doctrine of grace opened up to me, and from that doctrine I have not departed to this day, and I desire to make this my constant confession, "I ascribe my change wholly to God."

What does the Bible actually teach concerning the gift of faith? Is it simply the revealing grace of God, which is not in dispute, or the enabling grace of God that allows us to respond to the gospel.

John 6:29 says, “Jesus answered them and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him who He has sent.” Some contend that this verse is indicating that God works within preselected individuals and gives them the faith to believe in Christ.
    However, Jesus is teaching no such thing. Jesus first makes the point that those that were seeking Him were doing so not because of the signs they had seen, but because they had actually partaken of a miracle, for they had been filled with the loaves. But then Jesus moves on to his next point, that they should not “work” for food that perishes, but rather should “work” for food that does not perish, which is the Son of Man which has God’s seal of approval, being demonstrated by the miracle of the loaves. In response the seekers ask, “What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?” At this point we encounter our verse (John 6:29). So in context the verse is teaching that rather than seek perishable stuff, they should seek the imperishable Son of Man, and this “work” is accomplished by believing in the Son of Man sent by the Father. When Jesus says, “this is the work of God” He is referring the work God requires of man, and this work is to believe in the Son of Man. God sent His Son into the world to save that which was lost. He anointed Christ with power to perform signs and wonders to demonstrate that Jesus was from God. This authenticated message of redemption is the revealing grace of God, “that you believe in Him who He has sent.” Thus the passage teaches that God’s revealing grace is the source and basis of our faith, but does not teach the character alteration envisioned by enabling grace.

Ephesians 2:8 says, “For by grace you have been saved through faith and that not of yourselves, (it is) the gift of God.” The gift of salvation is given by God accepting our faith, passing over our sins and spiritually baptizing us into Christ. Also the faith, the facts and information concerning His Son are also a gift because God gave His only begotten Son…. God grants salvation to those that believe in His Son.

Some use 2 Timothy 1:9 to support the idea that we were selected as individuals before the world began. But lets look at the text:

(God) “who saved us and called us with a Holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was granted us in Christ Jesus from all eternity.”

The question we must ask is: What was granted us? The answer of course is grace, according to the plan of salvation in Jesus Christ, His anointed. When did God grant grace to all in Jesus Christ? From all eternity, before the world began. Does this passage say God individually selected us? No. And the inference that He did is unnecessary and wrong because it excludes our faith. It does not rob God of honor to say by grace through faith are we saved. Look at Ephesians 2:8-9.

Note also 2 Timothy 1:10, which says, (God’s purpose and grace) “…now has been revealed by the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus, who abolished death, and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel.” And the heart of the gospel is this: For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. Therefore 2 Timothy 1:9 says that God’s purpose and grace was granted to us in Christ, corporately from all eternity. Subsequently, during our lifetime God granted us grace individually bringing His plan to fruition. God chose us individually based on accepting our faith in His Son, and He blessed us with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit who gifted us so that we can build up and expand the church according to our Holy calling or area of giftedness. God did not grant us salvation based on our works, nor did He indwell us with the Holy Spirit and call us to a Holy calling because of our works, it was according to His purpose and grace (all those who believe in Jesus shall be saved). This passage does not support the inner call, “the gift of faith.”

Another verse used to support the idea that faith (verb-act of belief) is given to us before we are saved is Romans 12:3 which says, “For through the grace given me, I say to every man among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God as allotted to each a measure of faith.” What is asserted is that this measure of faith is allotted before salvation and is the means of salvation. But lets look at the context and see if we can figure out what Paul is actually saying. Each one of us, who is saved and indwelt with the Holy Spirit is gifted to build up the body of Christ. But we are not all given all the same gifts, for some are teachers, and some are leaders and some are servants. Each has been allotted a measure, a sphere of influence, an area of calling so that together we can build up the body of believers until we all attain the unity of faith, which is to be Christ-like.

#65 Van, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2013
  6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Does everything you have save you? It is convenient how you take things out of context.
    That is exactly what I said in my post! Answer me then! Does God give the fruit of the Spirit to the unsaved? Is that your position.
    The gifts of the Holy Spirit are given to believers not unbelievers. Why are you taking things out of context? Is this a typical ploy of the Calvinist? If you didn't understand my post you should either ask or at the very least read it a second time.
    Even a cursory reading will tell you that "It (salvation) is the gift of God, not of works, lest any man should boast." The subject line all throughout the two verses is salvation. Have you ever learned how to diagram a sentence. Try it some time.
    Sounds like a copy and paste I have read. But it doesn't need to be confusing. It is very confusing to the Calvinist who thinks that faith is a gift to the unsaved. You assert it but have no Scriptural back up.
    Let's examine that statement more carefully.
    Romans 5:1 "justified by faith." δικαιωθεντες ουν εκ πιστεως
    Acts 16:31 "believe on the Lord Jesus" πιστευσον επι τον κυριον ιησουν χριστον

Note that both pistews and pisteuson come from the same root word pistis. They are related. One is a noun and the other is a verb. They are the same word!
    That is the Charismatic style of thinking.
    Faith is confidence based on facts. Perhaps you were not fully informed. Maybe there was a crack in the chair; a flaw you didn't know about. I won't affect your faith in chairs forever, will it? I hope not. However God is perfect. His promises never fail. It is the object of our faith that is important. A flawed chair is nothing in comparison to a perfect God. My God never fails. Does yours?
    Every time I step into an airplane I put my faith in the company that they will keep their word to me that they will get me from point A to B safely. If they fail, it is because they are human. God is not human. He doesn't fail. We put our faith in people and in things every day.
    Why? Does it have a superstitious magical meaning to you?
    And that is the meaning of faith. You did a good job right there of defining faith. Let's look at Scripture:

Romans 4:20 He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God;
    21 And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform.
    Abraham was fully confident that what God had promised God would do.
    That is faith--a very similar way that you described it.
    NO! this is not a definition of faith. It is rather, a description of faith. There is a difference. Faith is trust, confidence in the word of another. What the author of Hebrews does here is describe faith, not define it.
    Do you mean like the conviction that I have when I turn my car key in the ignition I am sure that the car will start? I am sure of that. I act on that conviction every day. If it fails it is not because of my faith.
    Faith comes from confidence in the word of another.
    Faith comes from a relationship or experience with another.
    My faith in starting my car or that my car will start initially came from the promise that the Ford Motor Company said it will. From that point onward I developed a relationship with my car "so to speak." I know when it needs a tune-up etc.
    The longer I am married to my wife the greater our relationship grows, and the more confidence I am able to put in her.
    The longer I am "married" to Christ the greater our relationship grows and the more confidence I am able to put in His promises that they will indeed come true according to what he has said. But it starts at salvation when I initially put my faith in him.
    He gave me salvation and he will keep it until that day.
    That has no relevance to the unbeliever.
    Faith is not a work; but opposed to works (Eph.2:8,9).
    Faith is never given to the unbeliever; God does not give spiritual gifts and spiritual fruit to the unsaved. Ludicrous!
    That doesn't say faith is a gift. It says that faith comes from hearing the Word of God. One must hear the gospel before he is saved. One must have the instruction book to do anything before he is able. Faith is confidence in the word of another, specifically confidence in the word of God.
    God does not allot faith to any unbeliever. Why are you taking Scripture out of context? I am sorry but you are making me feel like I am talking to a J.W.
    We clearly see from these two verses that faith is not a work. Compare Romans 4:4 to verse 5.
    That is why these verses teach that faith is not a gift of God; not of works.
    No, it does not. It refers back to salvation, as does every single clause in those two verses. They are speaking of salvation. Salvation is of faith. Salvation is the gift of God. Salvation is not of works. Paul does not change the topic in midstream.
    Context: Spiritual gifts. Does God give spiritual gifts to unbelievers? Is this your belief?
    Yes, as the Philippian jailor was justified by his faith, and Abraham was justified by his faith.

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Again you are confusing the believer to the unbeliever, twitting from one passage to another, taking Scripture out of context like a J.W.
    Christ is the author and finisher of OUR faith. It began when I put my faith in Christ. He keeps my faith. "For I am persuaded that he will keep that which I have committed unto him against that day."
    He doesn't keep that which God committed to him, but what I committed to him. He saved me; He didn't save God's faith; but me. It wasn't God that needed the saving. That is a funny faith you have.
    Only if it is God that needs to be saved! Christ saved me because I trusted in Him. It wasn't God that trusted in Christ; but I. He didn't force me.
    That was the promise according to Acts 1:8. and so?
    God doesn't give faith to the unsaved. You haven't demonstrated that yet.

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Not one statement in my post said faith is given to the unsaved. The part that I did copy and paste was cited twice. What is your point?

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You posted in answer to my post.
    My post clearly stated "God does not give faith to the unsaved."
    Are you telling me everything you posted was all in vain?
    Did you not quote such Scripture as Romans 5:1; Eph.2:8,9; those Scriptures that deal directly with salvation?

10. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

Edited. I'll take the high road on this one!

#70 DrJamesAch, Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2013
  11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinism has again been shown to be mistaken doctrine, and those defending it use absurdity, disinformation, and false claims. No one has addressed the fact that our faith in Christ should bind us to Christ's teachings, such that we follow Him and no go our own way.

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Examine what you said and then see if you can make that statement honestly:
    A direct reference to my post, and an offensive one.
    The first verse you use is a verse that deals with salvation, and then in your defense you quote someone else's article instead of giving your own answer!
    What? I thought you just said, (and I quote),

"Not one statement in my post said faith is given to the unsaved."

Do you have an explanation, or just an apology?

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van,in your long post #65 --did you copy that from some source? If so what citation will you now offer?

14. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To be fair DHK here on Strong being "biased" due to hiscalvinism...

Thayer was one who denied the trinity, yet acknowledged that the scriptures reffered to Jesus as being Lord and God...

baur was a Lutheryn scholar, yet even we baptsits recognise him as a Greek expert in His Greek Lexicon!

15. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The ONLY thing that has been proven is that you have on a set of eyeglasses that blind you to even considering ANY truth that calvinists have gleaned from the Bible, and refuse toackowledge your own liitations in how to handle reading and understand the scriptures, especially in their original languages!

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You are going down a rabbit trail to divert attention from the article that was quoted from a Chemist. Strong and Thayer had nothing to do with that article or its author.

17. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Did I not read that this chemist has a master of theology degree?

If so, I know a lot of preachers who have less than that level of education in the things of theology.

You are using educational level as a bias rather than sticking with refutation of the Scriptures used to support his view of Faith.

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

That may be true. But there were two separate posts and two separate issues. He was confusing the post concerning Strong with the site on faith.
    The author of the article on faith holds to Reformed doctrine so is biased to begin with. He does have a Masters, but it is a M.A., which means he has one year of Bible college education past that of a B.A., which he could have earned in a total of four years or less (i.e. both B.A. and M.A.) if some of his science courses transferred over.
    However I am more concerned with the fact that then entire article is written from a typical Calvinistic stance. It is written just the way that the article itself could have been copied from another Calvinist. I have heard it all before. It is the same fare.

19. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Your own bias would write the article from a non-cal viewpoint. So that argument really isn't valid either, is it.

You desire to hold some level of education as a point of validation, when you should ignore bias of both the education and the perspective and level your response upon the selection of Scripture used and the over riding question of was the selection of Scriptures in fact used accurately.

Leave the other matters to those who must rely upon those things because they are less skilled and have less understanding.

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Perhaps I should have left the matter of his education alone, but not the fact that he is writing from a Reformed point of view. That is why I took the post and refuted it. And I believe I did it from a Scriptural point of view. The main point is that faith is not a gift of God given to an unsaved man. That premise, upon which the Calvinist hangs his hat, cannot be substantiated with Scripture. I went through his post point by point showing its inaccuracies.