1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Paper or App

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Salty, May 23, 2017.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with all of Elder Burchett's points wholehearedly.
    I'm a physical paper kind of a guy anyway. And I do think
    that some, perhaps many, start to use their Bible apps and
    then veer off to other things of distraction.

Their should be a balance between reading the Scripture in
    church and looking at the preacher. If a bunch of the
    congregation is focused on looking down, I think they may
    not be concentrating on the message.

3. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good article. I enjoyed it. Of course, I'm already a paper and print guy anyway, but I think he made some valid points.

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, IMO the author just hasn't found the right software - he needs to get a good app.

His points and my response:

First, the context and content of the Scripture being studied are more easily observed in a paper Bible.

Flipping pages verse flipping screens – I’m not sure what he sees as a problem. Do large text bibles or small bibles with small print cause him problems too?​

Second, cross-referencing is quicker and usually more effective in a paper Bible.

I generally get to a text faster with my digital text. Cross references are available as a pop-up on the same screen without having to flip pages​

Third, there are fewer potential distractions within a paper Bible.

Heh yeah, during a sermon two weeks ago I put together an alternative outline based on the pastor’s three point sermon. I’ve researched texts, done simple word studies, checked quotes, and saved websites mentioned during the service. Church isn’t boring with the web.​

Fourth, a paper Bible can become very precious to you in ways that a Bible on a device never could.

Lose my paper bible and I lose my notes. Lose my digital tablet and never lose my notes, it’s backed up.

That said, I’ve got a 300 year old bible in on my shelf that is precious to me. My tablet looks cool but in another few years I’ll upgrade without a longing to save the devise.
    Rob

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I use both paper and digital. He seems to address smart phone apps and not PC or Mac apps.

However, I find some validity in points 1 and 4, but reject points 2 and 3. On points 2, Olive Tree app is great for cross reference. It is better for the Mac, even on my Android device--someone with a paper Bible will find it hard to keep up.

On point 3, i find my self more easier distracted in a sermon by a Bible than a cell phone. I have to set my Bible aside after reading the text, otherwise I will be reading before and after the text to get the full context and miss a chunk of the sermon. With the cell phone, I am less like to read outside the passage. This is because I find some validity in point #1. Since you eyes dont see the full passage or context on the cell phone....I am less likely to try and read it.

Point #4 is true for me. My paper Bibles do mean more to me than the digital apps. I have my great grandpa's (who was a pastor) Bible....no app could ever mean nore to me than that. Plus I have several of my own that mean something to me.

The big thing for me is connection. For someone reason I just feel more connected with God's word-- more receptive to hear-- with a paper copy. The feel, the smell, even turning the pages just make it more "real" to me. I know it sounds silly, but it is true for me.

Overall, both have there pros and cons. I use both. On the digital side I use on a occasion, MacArthur's Bible app, ESV Bible app (through Google Books app), Logos, and the main one I use is Olive Tree (one phone and MacBook). The digital apps come in handy when you are out and about and you need to evangelize and/or witness. Also I use it to cut and paste Scripture into my manuscripts(when I get to preach) which saves some time :)

All my personal study time comes from a paper Bible.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was thinking this morning we might want to rewrite some of the hymns to bring them up-to-date.

Holy Bible, App divine,
    Precious treasure, on my phone...

;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Y'all realize these are some of the same type arguments that were used when the printing press started making bibles available to everyone?

"They'll be reading instead of paying attention to the sermon."

Just sayin'.

8. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh yes.....and simialr argument about putting radio in automobiles.

9. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not a universal truth. This is the type of thing where what might be quicker for one might be slower for another. It's all in what you know how to do.

This reminded me of a kid I was sitting next to in a computer lab. I learned to type in a high school typing class, and am fairly decent at it. The kid next to me was typing only with his two index fingers -- at about twice as fast as I could!

10. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A friend read this article and said, "paper may likely be easier to access during the apocalypse."

:Geek

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say depends on the app. My ESV Study Bible trough Google books... yeah, people with a paper Bible will find cross references quicker. The Olive Tree app...no way. Two touches of the thumb, on very response app and I am at the cross references verse. Hit the back key and hit the next cross reference. You are right, this is not true in all circumstances.

• Like Like x 1
  12. saved41199

saved41199 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have neither a tablet nor a cell phone. I manage to go through a bible in about 5 years...that is, markings, notes, etc. I currently have a hardback KJV study bible and I'm hoping that the hardback will last longer. I also have notebooks for sermon notes, that when they're full I put them on the shelf, with the dates on the front so I can put my hands on them when I need to. I use a looseleaf binder for personal study. I also color code my bible. Yellow is personal study, green is bible study and pink is sermons. When they overlap, I will outline the passage in the proper color. It works for me.

• Like Like x 1