1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Passenger Tried to Blow Up Plane

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by JTornado1, Dec 25, 2009.

1. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

rbell, the TSA didn't screen him. This was an incoming international flight.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No matter what you do, the terrorist will find a way to to carry out his dastardly deeds.

The same goes for any kind of criminal activity. For example look at computer hacking. There are all kinds of security on the net, but yet the criminals still find a way to steal your passwords.

And Paul, I did hear on he news that the port of embarkation - did have good security screening.

I'm with rbell I would rather drive for 10 - 12 hours or even take a train.

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

First thing is, this "person" needs to be handed over to the US military for prosecution. If found guilty by a military commission, since he seems to want to die in an explosion, strap him to an unmanned drone over Afghanastan. Send him up about 2000 feet, then destroy the drone.

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

Right you are.

So, my first statement is irrelevant. We won't be in charge of what happens to whoever goofed, if someone did. However, it appears he was on a "terror watch" list...so someone goofed...it could have been foreign security. But it the US didn't notify them, then it's still our fault. Either way...I hope someone pays for this security lapse, if there was one.

However, my second statement still stands: This will turn into yet another inconvenience and "line-lengthener." I don't guess there's much of a way around that...but it's a shame when goons like this can cause such havoc.

5. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The US, as is most of the West, is reactionary.
    We don't do something unless something serious happens.
    The father warned the US intelligence community about his son, and he wasn't classified a "serious" no-fly threat because he was a "no-name"in the community.
    "Just keep a close eye on him" and so on.
    "Put him on the list, nothing serious".
    Then the guy gets on a plane and tries to blow it up.
    Good thing he just ended up burning himself.
    The Philippine police tried to warn the US intel community of a plot that was about to happen, they said "yeah, yeah, we know about that. We got everything under control, brown boy".
    Then 9/11.

and more humiliating than taking off shoes in a public place, perhaps raising shirts and butt pats, and more restrictions on luggage you'll most likely end up being allowed a fully inspected brown paper bag as carry on.

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doesn't matter. This is the second terrorist attack on U.S. soil since Obama has been in the White House. There will be more, and some more serious.

Now, where did Putin put them suitcase nukes?

7. billwald

billwald New Member

In other words, the money spent on homeland security has been mostly money wasted because any serious wack job can fly in from Europe with his bomb.

8. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The passengers did really quick thinking. And notice that person trying to harm them. You have to give your hats off to them for quick thinking and saving not just other peoples lives, but their own lives. That was one gutsy move and call.

9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I agree- but Obama will find a way to spin it and make it look like the government prevented it- you watch.

10. rbell

rbell Active Member

More thoughts, now that I've had more time:
    • The point of a "watch list" is to "watch somebody." Someone...at least the Nigerians, and probably the Danish and almost surely the US, didn't exercise due diligence. If the watch list means nothing, then do away with it.
      • Years ago, I led a missions group out of the country. We got stranded overnight in the US, but our bags went on our originally scheduled flight. So, the day we made the last leg of our journey home, we showed up with no luggage, and last-minute, one-way vouchers. Needless to say, that set off every red flag in the book (especially since there apparently is no red flag for "muslim male"). We understood this, and we were subjected to intense scrutiny and searches. Fine. We understood, and gladly accepted it...yet this guy pays cash for a one-way flight, with no luggage, and walks right on! Is it because the Nigerians were corrupt, or stupid? Maybe. Was it because barbecue man was Muslim, and we're scared to "offend them?" Likely, I say. But come one, folks, grow a brain...then use it!
    • I have a brilliant idea: Why don't we screen out the terrorists before they get on the plane, so we don't have to have these silly rules like, "No pillow in your lap," and "no bathroom the last hour of the flight." I'm sure parents of two-year olds (BTW...exactly how many terrorists have been two year-olds?) will love this new rule. How many of you parents get a one-hour notice from your toddlers regarding bathroom stops?
    • All that to say...20 years ago, I would rather fly than drive when there was a 6-hour drive at hand. Now, I'd rather drive than fly when a 12-hour trip drive is involved! And there are millions like me. US Government, get your act together before you ruin the airline industry beyond repair.
    • Homeland Security "director" Janet Napolitano is a left-wing nutjob. She made a royal mess of Arizona...and for that, she was rewarded by being made in charge of our security. This "woman" (not sure) is more worried about offending folks than enforcing security. She said several times today, "All we did was enforce the security measures the Bush administration put in place." Now...I've not walked around blaming Obama for this...but Janet....shut up. Do your job, and quit looking for a scapegoat.
    Sheesh. These idiots will drive ya to an early grave.

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even if correct, Immediately giving him citizenship rights and charging him as a "common criminal" caused him to lawyer up immediately.

Instead, as an illegal combatant, he should have been turned over to the FBI and CIA for interrogation concerning his organization and not been given access to an attorney.

Now we will get little information compared to what conventional interrogation techniques would have yielded.

Tragic, short sighted , and misguided. American citizens will die unnecessarily because of it.

12. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

I just saw on the news that the suspect has been moved from the hospital to a federal prison. A court hearing that was scheduled for today was cancelled; up next is a bail hearing Jan. 8. At his arraignment Saturday in the hospital, he was appointed a public defender.

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I think Napolitano should resign.

They need to quit looking for manicure scissors and tweezers and razors and focus on the explosive materials that these guys use to make bombs. I am not concerned about a pair of scissors or tweezers; these are not the instruments of the terrorists.

14. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Since the shoe bomber made us all have to take off our shoes, will this "underwear bomber" cause us to have to take off our underwear at TSA check points?

15. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Close to it; they have x-ray scanners that virtually undress people and privacy concerns have kept them from using these (I think they may use them for people they suspect but I'm not even sure if they are used at all yet in the U.S.).

16. rbell

rbell Active Member

more examples of our affording US citizen rights to non-citizens...Stupid, dangerous, and wrong-headed.

Gee, I just described Janet Napalitano.

17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    . . . and Obama, and Pelosi, and Reid, and just about every Democrat and RINO.

18. fbcodr

fbcodr New Member

My youngest daughter and her husband are going on a cruise, and they are using the same airline, and she has the same seat number where the man was sitting that tried to blow up the plane. Also they are flying out of Detroit airport. I told them to go early and expect a hassle. We'll see how they do.:godisgood::praying:

19. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

Glad I don't fly.