1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pastors posting on the BB

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by webdog, Jul 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Definitely a fair question.

I will counter that the average christian is not given a flock to tend to, though. Knowing my pastor, he is so busy that we had to hire another administrative pastor to take on some of the load. I couldn't see him having the time to post something hourly over the course of 6-7 hours a day on a board like this, or numerous posts consisting of many paragraphs taking substantial time to think through and post...and if he did, he would most likely link the BB to our church website.

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Webdog,
    Do you think the average pastor is laboring in the word as he should to begin with? I would rather see some of them posting and interacting scripturally on a message board...than getting caught up in something unrelated and spending an inordinate amount of time doing ...even if the activity is lawful.
    Some pastors go fishing or bike riding,or walking...but use that time to meditate about some of their sermon preparation. Some might be couch potatoes on the other hand and not giving themselves to proper preparation.
    It depends on the heart motive,,,and if they are neglecting other priorities.

3. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Oh. the little green online dot. That bugger proves it! Whomever's green light is on is being a bad bad boy! :rolleyes:

That MUST mean "said" person is always sitting there. :saint:

Now, I typically just stay logged on, days at a time at points, even my phone has me logged on.

Of things to be worried about in this world. :laugh: :smilewinkgrin:

4. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I am merely "gleaning" sermon information---ideas---thoughts---quotes--and the like---nothing of the fun surfing type

What cha gonna do about it, webdoggy??? Get with the deacons and have them slap me around???? "Sue" me??? Threaten me?? Send me packin'??

:laugh:

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Corinthians 10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

HankD​

6. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

Anything that causes me to read more and study more scriptures I count it joy.....

7. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think it's necessary for anyone to have to explain their participation here on the BB. I appreciate the involvement of the pastors and the wisdom from experience that you all oftentimes interject into the debates.

#27 kyredneck, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2011
  8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You would need to qualify "average pastor", but I would say that yes, the born again pastor who has been called by God and has fulfilled his calling is. Maybe this is it's own thread...but what do you define "laboring in the world" and is this the main responsibility of a pastor?
    I will also say that I witness some unfruitful interaction in this time.
    That wasn't what I asked in my op.

9. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Bringing up the web page, logging in, and then letting it sit there for hours will not show someone being online for all those hours. That's not the way the forum software works. You must be actively clicking around the website, or the forum will recognize that you are idle and will show you offline.

10. preacher4truth

Amen.

Basically this is what he is asking preachers to answer to in his "OP."

He called pastors (actually said "alleged" pastors, nice huh?) into question about their activity level on the BB in another thread then started a new thread about it. From my perspective there seems to be a little aggression in tone here against such and from the other thread some of the same.

Of all the things to worry about in this world. :tear:

I think those in here have definitely learned to sharpen apologetic skills through debate, and for that I thank the BB for existing!!!!! :thumbsup:

- Peace

11. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "I have noticed a few pastors on this board every time I am on here. Is this a normal and accepted practice of the pastorate?"

?????

12. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

From a guy who has a 15,000 post count and is seemingly on the board 24/7. Of course, to be fair, webdog is not a pastor. But he is certainly advocating the holding of pastors to a higher or different level than all other Christians, isn't he? Wonder how he does in church business meetings... :laugh:

13. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

.....19,716 to be exact....

14. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

While I am not currently a full time pastor (I am a part time student minister, though), I fail to see how discussing theology, and engaging in fellowship on this forum, is any different than going to meetings with other ministers, taking them to lunch, etc., where the same thing happens.

In fact, some churches include within the weekly hours of the pastor, time for "continuing education," which is for reading, studying, taking classes, or any other self-edifying activity, whose benefit will trickle down to the members. Some even provide a stipend for this activity, providing money for books, memberships, etc. Discussing important issues on this board certainly falls within those same lines.

Also: I think you have to be careful, because the list which shows who is here, is not exactly accurate. If you went by that, I would be here 24 hours a day...I don't believe in closing tabs. So even though I might spend fifteen minutes a day on here, it appears as if I never leave...never even sleep! :sleep:

15. preacher4truth

....and the name "webdog" to boot.

We should be ashamed. :love2: :wavey: :thumbsup:

16. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I don't think it is any of my business how much time a pastor is on here. I try and limit my time on here to 4 or 5 hours a week. For me there is so many others things that is more pressing than the BB. I spend to much time here it cuts back on visitation, helping others do things that they aren't able to do, getting out in the community and witnessing and so on. I'm retired now, so I spend my time as I believe I'm being led by the Holy Spirit, so I have enough problems managing time, to worry about how others do with their time.

17. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Know that my pastor has Tuesday has 'day off" barring "emergencies" so he does all of his "catch up" postings/readings etc on that day!

18. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

You know I'm not fighting you here...I think your question is worthy of discussion and doesn't deserve some of antagonism you are getting. But, I'm an equal opportunity offender in that when toes are getting stepped on, I like to include everyone. :laugh:

So, I will counter by saying... If you helped your pastor would there have been a need for them to hire another administrative pastor? In other words, if the flock were "doing the work of the ministry" that the pastor is called to equip you for would he be soooo very busy?

I ask this in concern for the burn out of pastors in our country. It is VERY high and I'm afraid its due to some of these types of expectations. I'd encourage you to ask your pastor what he does for enjoyment. Does he fish? Golf? Boat? Swim? Some blog or engage others on message boards? Is one form of enjoyment more acceptable than another?

Now, while abuse of their time by neglecting their jobs while messaging on the BB is a valid point, I just think that distinction should be clearly drawn.

19. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Is Webdog implying that pastors should not be having enough "free time" to be able to post and dialog here on BB? taht they should be sticking to their 'pastorly' duties?

20. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably, and probably GF is right on that he is holding preachers to a higher standard than the rest of us, but if you can get him to admit that I'll take us all out for some cheesy grits..... :)

#40 kyredneck, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.