1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Pastors wife works on Sunday

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Dec 19, 2022.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I found this question on Facebook:

How would you guys respond if a pastor’s wife misses Sunday morning church because
    she has to work every other Sunday?

Open for discussion

2. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sunday is not a Sabbath.

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’m not sure why I would need to “respond” at all.

Unless the pastor’s wife was employed by the church, it is none of my business.

I grew up in a church in the midst of one the largest collection of oil and chemical refineries in the world (at that time), and you can’t just shut off a refinery at the end of the day or for a weekend without an extensive multi-day start-up and shut-down process — unless you like explosions, death, and massive pollution.

So refineries run 24/7 and it takes extraordinary events (usually a hurricane) or a massive industrial accident to shut them down. So I grew up with family members and a significant number of people in the church who regularly had to miss services because of employment commitments.

However, we would regularly have guest preachers come through and lambast persons who “worked on Sunday” from the pulpit, claiming God’s authority for doing so. The result was embittered church members who didn’t have much respect for out-of-touch preachers who were working on Sundays themselves.

All of this was in the 1960s-mid 1980s, when blue laws were still a thing. Today, blue laws have been rescinded and employees often have very little choice about what days they work.

Unless the church is paying the pastor’s wife, church members should keep their pie-holes shut and thank God for having a pastor’s wife who is industrious.

#3 Baptist Believer, Dec 19, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is not about the Sabbath
    It is about a pastors wife working most Sundays
    which is the day of worship for that church

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess if you never go out to eat on Sunday, never buy anything on Sunday, never get sick on Sunday and go to a hospital or call a policeman or need a wrecker on Sunday, never watch a football game on Sunday, never do anything on Sunday that makes the other poor suckers work to serve you on Sunday I guess then you could say something. You'd still be a jerk but at least not an outright hypocrite.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    She is not missing every service.

Jesus taught, in Mathhew 23:8, ". . . all ye are brethren. . . ." Meaning we as believers are equal in Christ. [Galatians 3:28.] It should not be an issue.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Eternally Grateful

Eternally Grateful Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not see a reason I would need to respond.. She is not doing anything wrong

• Like Like x 2
  8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would have no problem with her having to work on Sunday. I have to work 2 Sundays of the month. Those in my church know this and don't have an issue. I would think they'd understand this pastor's wife having to work.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If she said I have to work on Sunday so I can not attend church. is one thing
    but
    If she said I work on Sunday so I do not have to attend church. that would be another.

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never said she missed every Sunday!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lets add to the OP a bit.
    How about a military chaplain - he would have to miss one Sunday every month
    (if he was the only pastor at the church)
    (as well as two weeks in the Summer?)

Would you vote in pastor who was in the military reserve/National Guard?

12. Eternally Grateful

Eternally Grateful Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    in a heart beat

13. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since it's causing her to miss service, then yes it's a problem.

I would even say it would call into question the Pastor's qualifications as per having a well managed household if his wife is out working on the Lord's Day, akin to if the Pastor's kid are misbehaved.

IMO every effort should be made to cease commercial working activity on Sunday. Our farm purposefully does not do sales on Sunday unless a customer has a pressing need that can't be met elsewhere, and we refuse to attend any farmers markets on Sundays.

14. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well there is always to option of paying the pastor enough that his wife does not have to work on a Sunday or at all. I am quite sure that as a pastors wife if she had the option she would work on a Sunday.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What would need to happen in this case is the Church would need to confront the Pastor's wife as per Galatians and Matthew and explain that neglecting the meeting of the saints for work is not acceptable and is sin. And yes, if there is a true budget shortfall that is not the result of going out to eat 5x a week then the Church should raise the Pastor's pay.

If the Church member (Pastor's wife or not) continues to neglect the meeting of the saints then Church Discipline needs to be involved. The Church Elders likely need to revoke her Church Membership status and remove the Pastor from his office pending repentance.

16. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I am glad to see that you are all for church discipline. I have to hope that your house is in order as you may find yourself under church discipline at some date.

Mat_12:10 a man was there with a withered hand, and they asked him, "Is it lawful to cure on the sabbath?" so that they might accuse him.
    Mat_12:11 He said to them, "Suppose one of you has only one sheep and it falls into a pit on the sabbath; will you not lay hold of it and lift it out?
    Mat_12:12 How much more valuable is a human being than a sheep! So it is lawful to do good on the sabbath."

#16 Silverhair, Dec 19, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But she is not. It sounds like she attends at least twice a month. Moreover, church life should not be limited to only Sunday worship services. Bible studies and fellowships are also meetings of the saints.

If they want attendance in a formal worship service every week, they need to have more worship services at various times to accommodate those who don’t set their own work hours (most people).

“Repentance” for not sinning? Sounds like there’s not a bit of grace available for church members to follow their conscience and be a disciple of Jesus outside of tightly prescribed outward symbols of conformity.

A very biblical and practical aspect of a pastor having their spouse work outside the church is to provide stability to the pastor’s family and finances in the event the church decides they do not like a prophet in their pulpit calling out the sins of the congregation instead of people who are not present. Churches tend to use the financial angle to control their pastors, where a pastor is afraid to upset the status quo because it will financially devastate the family.

18. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course I'm all for Church Discipline. The Bible tells us to actively practice it for sanctification and to restore brothers and sisters back into fellowship who have fallen into sin. What Christian wouldn't be for Church Discipline?

I hope so. If I ever got to a place where I was skipping Sunday Worship on the Lord's Day I hope my congregation cares enough about me, and my Christian growth to discipline me and bring me back into the fold just like Jesus with the lost lamb.

Yes, police, fire, ems, farmers and more always have a chore load on Sunday. And sometimes emergencies happen, however, I'm certain God is not trying to apply this verse to working Construction on the Lord's Day and skipping worship service to make a buck. That would be a tall theological argument to make.

19. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting discussion so far!

20. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, at what point in your theology does the scale tip from "attending enough" to "not attending enough" for a believer who is supposed to be growing in Church.
    Is once a month enough?
    How about once every 2 months?
    Once every 6 months?

The purpose of Bible Studies and fellowships are meetings of *some* saints. You are not amongst the whole body of believers.

Christians have been meeting on Sundays since the first century. Do you suppose that choice was arbitrary or that perhaps Sunday has special spiritual significance hence why the Early Church Fathers opted for it?

No, no, repentance FOR sinning. And forsaking the gathering together of the saints is sin. That's why a lot of Churches refused to follow the Government's Mandate to restrict the gathering together of the saints, and it's the same reason why skipping Sunday Service on the regular is sin.

Clearly you're a fan of pragmatism. I am not.

Neglecting the meeting of the saints so that your Pastor husband can be more financially secure sounds too much like "sinning so that grace may abound". It also has odes of fearing men more than God.