1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pay to play sports

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by matt wade, Jan 25, 2012.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

There is always two sides to an issue that we may disregard because we only think about ourselves. My point is do not pick one and avoid the other. If people do not want to pay taxes because they think they are high then something must be cut. If the elderly people think we should not have medical care for everyone then we should cut it and not have it for anyone.

A few months ago a man who has loads of money was griping and told me that everyone should pay for their own medical care. I told him that I would be in favor of that if we did away with all medical care for free including Medicare. He never said another word again. He likes to complain about taxes, and many other things. I pointed out when the highest taxes were and he told me that it could not be so. I knew that I could remember when I paid a much higher percentage than I do now and I was making much less and did not live as well. He quickly remembered that he was getting his medical bills paid for by Medicare. Medicare is medical care for the elderly paid for by the taxpayers.

2. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Yes, I agree with you that medical care for the elderly is paid by the taxpayers. For 40+ years I had Social Security and Medicare deducted from every paycheck that I earned over those years. For the Medicare portion it was the same thing as paying a regular insurance premium, every check, for benefits that I would not receive until I turned 65 years old.

Now that I'm 65, I'm still paying more Medicare premiums, as they are being deducted from my Social Security checks.

Medicare for seniors is definitely not free. I know as, again, I've been paying over 40 years for those benefits.

Next, I've argued for years about having to pay into a government program rather than being able to invest those dollars myself for my retirement.

Finally, after paying for this old age "insurance" for all my working life, the benefits are being reduced. Out of pocket expense is going up. Plus, someone other than my doctor is deciding if xyz test/procedure is necessary. Thus, we now have to carry private supplemental insurance, too.

It definitely ain't free.

3. targus

targus New Member

No one has suggested this as far as I am aware.

That makes the rest of your arguement mute.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am not suggesting that anyone did. It is a big issue in America now. So many think that they pay high taxes now. Who are they kidding? The taxes now are some of the lowest in the last 70 years.

Source: http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxfacts/displayafact.cfm?Docid=213

A number of the complainers are those who worked when the top tax rate was 92%.

As for myself I stopped investing in my own company when taxes went down because there was no tax break. So I just hired subcontractors. Did not have to pay insurance for having employees and no tools to replace and fix. Did not have to worry about vacation and benefits for employees. Became more of a business like an accountant than a profession like a craftsman.

5. targus

targus New Member

Go back up two posts and you will see where I quoted you saying, "If one sugests that the individual should pay their own way in everything ... "

How is it that this board attracts so many that fancy themselves to be so much smarter than everyone else but so incapable of carrying on a logical discussion? :laugh:

6. billwald

billwald New Member

7. billwald

billwald New Member

> So if you are an athlete and on Medicare and incur medical bills then most likely the American taxpayers help you to pay your bills.

How many pro athletes are over 65 except maybe an occasional team manager?

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You can be 18, without money and assets and qualify.

9. billwald

billwald New Member

SSI, maybe. Social Security, maybe. Not Medicare.

10. targus

targus New Member