1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Pelagianism

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by JonC, Jul 24, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I suppose that is why they use "Pelagianism" as an insult. But it is not honest.

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This false claim from someone who does not even define his terms.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can only speak for myself. I have claimed your view as a form of Pelagianism in that you make infants and children innocent of sin until an imaginary "age of accountability" which you are admittedly pulling from Jewish tradition, not scripture. You absolve children until this seeming age of enlightenment when they realize they are willfully sinning. Of course this moment is entirely subjective to each individual. But, this "age of accountability" also means that humans are not born sinners, but are activated sinners at that age of accountability. Until then, saving grace is not necessary since there is, in your theory, no accountable sin for which grace is required. For all intents and purposes the child is holy and righteous and perfect before God.

Such a view, I lable as a form of Pelagianism. Others might call it semi-pelagianism.

If that insults you, that is your feelings, not my intent. My intent is to organize your position into a category that is easier to manage.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is false.

I said that Hebrew tradition is that there is an age of accountability but that I do not believe there is such an age. I said that even the unborn are sinners, although they have committed no sin.

You said that a 6 month old infant lies by crying to trick his or her parents into providing attention. I said this is not lying, the infant cries for attention.

That said, even the Hebrew tradition is not Pelagianism.

You simply do not understand what the Pelagian heresy was.

5. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

IF any deny that we are born without sin natures, or that by ourselves we can accept the Lord Jesus, or deny that are spiritual dead in our sins, then they are affirming another gospel!

6. JesusFan

Either we are dead spiritual on our sins and transgressions, or we are still able to 'assist" God in saving us!

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. JesusFan

he understands that any who would deny the full effects of the Fall of Adam towards us are affirming some degree of it!

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. But I understand why you think that (it is easy to add to the gospel, but the gospel itself is literally the "good news" of Christ and the kingdom of God).

They may be wrong, and you may disagree with them, but it is not that they believe another gospel.

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The issue is this was common belief, what you would call the "Pauline" tradition. And this existed long before Pelagius was born.

How would you like it if we referred to your belief as a degree of Mormonism?

I'd wager you would not like it as it is untrue. You need to treat others with at least the degree of honesty you desire others show you.

10. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are not going to get the correct teaching of How God Saves people from Mormonism or Islam, etc.

As long as the Pauline Tradition includes his teachings of;
    Do you know if they skip these and go straight to Regeneration, "by desire".

Ephesians 2:1 - And you were dead in your trespasses and sins

Colossians 2:13; And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

Ephesians 2:5
    made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in our trespasses. It is by grace you have been saved!

Romans 5:15
    But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.

Romans 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

Romans 7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

and David and John:

Psalm 119:50
    This is my comfort in my affliction: for thy word hath quickened me.

John 5:21
    For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth them; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will.

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. We are also not going to get the correct teachings of God through Pelagianism or Semi-Pelagianism.

That is my point.

@JesusFan likes to say people hold Pelagianism or Semi-Pelagianism when they do not. He looks at a denial of his view if original sin as a degree of Pelagianism and the Hebrew concept of an age of accountability as a degree of Pelagianism.

But that is far from honest. It is using a heresy (like Mormonism) as a type of insult when it is not related at all.

It would be like saying Calvinists hold to the cult of Clotho, at least to a degree, based on their understanding of God's decrees and predestination.

It is just a false argument.

12. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As for children who are aborted or die in infancy-David, who was also a prophet, said, in 2 Samuel 12:
    22 And he said, “While the child was alive, I fasted and wept; for I said, ‘Who can tell whether the Lord will be gracious to me, that the child may live?’ 23 But now he is dead; why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me.”

13. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is the faith we hold in the grace of God saving someone who has never repented, yet God chooses to save them. Though they are born in sin, yet God chooses mercy and grace. David perfectly expresses this faith in God's mercy.

14. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pelagian was wrong. The problem is not merely he was wrong, but not just why, but how? None of the so called church Fathers, nor as far as I know, any systematic theology, correctly addresses the real cause of mankind's sinful nature do to Adam's sin.

15. JesusFan

Those who affirm pel are holding to a false Gospel, and I have NEVER stated semi pel or arminians are that!

16. JesusFan

If when you say one denies original Sin to the extent that we are not born with a sin nature and are spiritual dead, then yes that would be against what the bible teaches!

17. JesusFan

Infants are born in the image of Adam, as sinners, but thank God for his grace towards them!

18. JesusFan

What theology of mine is anywhere close to lds, as I deny every tenet that church affirms?

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, you did.

You posted that the view man can come to God by his own ability is a heresy. Semi-Pelagianism holds this view...so how is it not a heresy?

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It depends on the doctrine held.

BUT the issue is your name calling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.