1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Pelagianism

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by JonC, Jul 24, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

What can we do to add to the finished work of Lord Jesus, was salvation accomplished in full or not then?

2. JesusFan

You mean pauline Justification is false?

3. JesusFan

Semi Pel been the de facto view of the Sotierology of the bible since Billy Graham era in America Christianity!

4. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Austin you claim to be the scripture purist so why do you add your own view when your commenting on a text? You claim that man has to be given faith so I checked for that in Romans 3. This is what I found.
    through faith vs 22, through faith vs 25, justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus. vs 26, by the law of faith. vs 27, justified by faith apart from the deeds of the law vs 28, justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through faith vs 30, through faith vs 31.
    Well I figured that you must have some justification for that claim so I did a search for "faith + gift, or "faith + given" in the NT and did not see where faith has to be given to someone. So it would seem that you are bring your view into the text.
    So it would seem you should have just written. In Romans 3 Paul lays out the fact that both Jew and Gentile are only justified before God because of the faith they have in Christ Jesus alone. And have left out (been given).

• Like Like x 1
  5. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where did that faith come from, Silverhair, when the text says "through faith?"

6. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Through hearing and trusting the gospel message. You know like the bible says.
    Eph 1:13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise,

7. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well the Bible says that God quickens, the person hears Jesus speak, and save, then they trust. So this verse certainly shows us that it is from God alone and not of yourself.

I am always surprised that you cannot see faith being from God, but instead argue that it comes from your own self.

8. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am always surprised that you fail to actually read and understand the text. You twist scripture to fit your theology rather that just trust what the bible says. The fact you have to add to the clear text just shows you do not have a leg to stand on. How complicated can it be HEAR, BELIEVE, SAVED. Even you should be able to understand that.

9. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NO! IT"S NOT! There's absolutely ZERO content in Paul's writing espousing 'justification by faith alone'. Programmed robots like you try to force it, but it ain't there. You're unable to produce one, just one teeny tiny itsy bitsy passage from scripture that supports your CALVINIST TEACHING of "justification by faith alone", and then you've the gall to try make it something wrong for me to "quote the Bible".

Man, you're a trip. I know you're a legend and a sage in your own mind with your preachy sanctimonious lectures void of scripture, but a Biblicist you are not.

Is that why you hold to it, because everybody else does? You confirm to be the conformist that you are. Has to be it, because there's certainly ZERO scripture to support it. And you're wrong, not 'all Reformed' folks hold to 'justification by faith alone'.

Yep, my prerogative, I exercise my Right to Private Judgement as espoused by the Calvinist, Charles Hodge:

"The Bible is a plain book. It is intelligible by the people. And they have the right and are bound to read and interpret it for themselves; so that their faith may rest on the testimony of the Scriptures, and not on that of the Church. Such is the doctrine of Protestants on this subject...."

I challenge you to provide proof, citations, of Roman Catholic teaching in agreement with me on post #36, or any myriad of other posts of mine.

Instead of just blithering your smears, put up or shut up.

10. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    @AustinC

I challenge you to provide proof, citations, of Roman Catholic teaching in agreement with me on post #36, or any myriad of other posts of mine.

Instead of just blithering your smears, put up or shut up.

11. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It looks to me like AustinC defines Pelagian teachings based on the assumption that The Fall of man was not imputed to his posterity.

That makes Pelagian thought Perfectly opposite of Calvinism, in a more pointed, specific way than Arminian teaching, which also is human- exalting and denies the sin of Adam.

This makes AustinC's labelling perfectly accurate.

If it is insulting, it is Insulting to God to deny the sin of Adam.

No one who a never- Calvanist on the BB has any trouble attempting to make that lable into as insulting a persecution as they have power to do.

The issue regarding Salvation IS The Adamic Nature.

Either human beings have some ability to assist God in the Performance of their "Salvation", or they do not.

It looks to me that AustinC is perfectly accurate in pointing out that; To the Degree an individual has a testimony that Man Helps God, then that is the Degree to which they are Palagian.

That signals to that person the Degree to which They Need to Repent.

Otherwise they are teaching false doctrine which leads hellbound souls into hell.

What's wrong with pointing that out?

Being Sound in The Faith Once Delivered to The Saints, Contending for the Faith, and being A GIANT in The Faith are simply a man of God's job.

#51 Alan Gross, Jul 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
  12. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does the RCC teach justification by faith plus works?

Do you teach justification by faith plus works?

We can talk after you answer these two questions.

13. JesusFan

Many today would affirm that we were marred and harmed in the fall, bust were not made totally depraved, as still retain enough free will to save ourselves!

14. JesusFan

maybe due to the truth that Pelagianism has been defined as being heresy by the historical Church, as have other heresy such as Modualism and Oneness?

15. JesusFan

Some would seem to also affirm that mankind is basically born with a blank slate, and that are still innocent until we actively choose to sin! Not born with a sin nature, but change to one later on

16. JesusFan

We do not call them holding to heresy who just deny Calvinism, but to actually embrace Pelaguise theology is heresy!

17. JesusFan

Doctrines that have been defined historically as being heresy need to be called out and addressed!

18. JesusFan

Indeed, as affirming that we are not born with sin natures, which is a contradiction of the scriptures

19. JesusFan

he is just saying that your understanding of what salvation is as per James agrees with RC, but not Baptists!

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a false statement.

I believe that the unborn are sinners who have not committed sinful acts. For this I was accused of Pelagianism.

I have seen others deny the RCC view of original sin. For that they were accused of Pelagianism.

Those who deny Calvanism in favor of free-will theology have been accused of Pelagianism.

Those who hold to corporate election have been accused of Pelagianism.

Most of the time, if not all of the time, these false accusations have been posted by Calvinists.

In fact, as far as has been posted on the BB there are no members who affirm Pelagianism or even Semi-Pelagianism.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.