1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Pelagianism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, May 20, 2013.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you implying that man has the power in himself to turn from sin without divine sovereignty?

2. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

You will need to define what you mean by 'power in himself.' Would you consider someone who is confronted by the powerful, Holy Spirit inspired Gospel appeal to trust in the righteousness of someone else for his salvation as having power in himself?

You will also need to define what you mean by 'without divine sovereignty.' Is God means of sending the Holy Spirit inspired gospel appeal for reconciliation into all the world a work of divine sovereignty? And do you believe sovereignty is better illustrated as God playing both sides of the chess board to ensure victory, or as God being so wise, knowing and powerful that he can soundly defeat any autonomous opponent who comes against Him?

3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Grace has everly been with God, seeing that Noah found it in the sight of God. However, Grace was finalized from the cross to the tomb and His ascension.

4. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

MB, not so sure it would. Are we not as frail and prone to error as the expositors of doctrine that each of us read and relish in? We should (IMO) humbly recognize that there are, and always will be many questions and tensions that we simply will never resolve in our present estate.

5. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Evangelist, I think you are casting an extremely wide net here. I don't know Mark Cahill, but I have read some of Geisler, no where in anything I have read do I find him questioning God's soveriegnty. Now, he may cast questions and doubts as to HOW YOU ( and others) view that sovereignty.

6. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

God has chosen the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. That's how salvation works. We preach, and those who believe are saved, and those who don't shall be damned.

Also, God has chosen the Gospel as His appeal to lost mankind.

7. Skandelon

Here is the bottom line when it comes to the issue of Pelagianism:

If you affirm that the Gospel IS a powerful work of the Holy Spirit then YOU can't believe that someone who believes the Gospel is doing so apart from a powerful work of the Holy Spirit, can you???????????

How does one go about responding to a powerful appeal of God without being affected by the power of that appeal? They cannot. Thus if one accepts it then they certainly didn't do so apart from it's power and if they reject it they certainly didn't do so because anything was lacking in the power of the gospel appeal. Am I right? If not, show me my error????

8. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In what way(s)?

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It also may be possible that I may not fully understand how it all works. Does the Gospel According to Jesus, or God is the Gospel explain this fully?

10. Skandelon

I am not sure what you are asking. The bible does teach that the gospel is the power of God unto salvation (Rm 1:16) and I believe there is enough evidence to suggest that the gospel appeal enables the individual to respond to it, after all; why else would they be held response-able if they are not able-to-respond?

11. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Anyone who conflates Pelagianism with Arminianism demonstrates that they understand neither.

Please read up on both before making such erroneous claims.:thumbsup:

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes it may be possible I have forgotten some of the material I learned in seminary. I have Ericksons Systematic theology. Does it explain?

13. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

Well buddy, I would encourage you to read deeply on major issues before making terrible accusatory statements.

Just start reading and I'm sure you'll start finding the information you need.

14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dont read books. The Bible is all that I need and I am not interested in the opinions of "men."

15. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

And thus, you're massive misunderstanding of the difference between two theological systems.

BTW, you don't actually read the Bible, you read a man-made translation of the texts we've reconstructed.

16. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

What seminary did you graduate from?

17. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

Not if he's reading the Kay-Jay-Vee.

Just kidding.

18. Herald

Herald New Member

Then what need is there for pastors, Bible colleges, seminaries et. al? After all, would not their teachings be doctrines of men?

19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was kidding.

20. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

And how was I supposed to know this? You used no emoticons to reflect your desired ironic voice.