1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Penal Substitution and the Trinity

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Martin Marprelate, Mar 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On one of the other threads I was accused of ["Damaging the Doctrine of the Trinity"] (as if I could!) by suggesting that Christ was the recipient of the Father's wrath and more especially by suggesting that the Son was 'forsaken' by the Father. There have been amazing textual gymnastics to make Mark 15:34 say the opposite of what it so plainly does.

In the early Church, the reality that there is one God in three Persons (not 'members') was safeguarded by speaking of a single divine 'substance' shared by Father, Son and Spirit. This substance is simply what God is, the thing that makes Father, Son and Spirit divine without implying three deities.

The Lord Jesus tells us that He and His father mutually indwell each other (John 14:11; c.f. also John 10:38; 14:10, 20). The technical term for this is perichoresis. This implies both union and distinction between Father and Son. One of the many problems with polytheism is the idea that different deities may make different demands of people and compete with one another as we see in Homer and Hesiod. Within the Trinity this is avoided, not because they fortuitously happen to agree on most things, but because they must agree, for they are one God. The idea therefore that on the cross the Father inflicts a punishment upon the Son that He is unwilling to bear, or that the Son draws from the Father a forgiveness that He is unwilling to bestow is a non-starter.

But there is also a distinction between the Persons. Without it, it would be ridiculous to talk of a distinct Father, Son and Spirit at all, and it would be impossible for them to relate to each other as separate Persons as the Scripture teaches they do. But if Son, Father and Spirit are all fully Divine and equal in their possession of all the Divine attributes (e.g. holiness, wisdom, truth etc.), what distinguishes them? The answer is their asymmetric in their relationship with each other. The Father is in a relationship of Fatherhood to the Son and the Son is in a relationship of Sonship to the Father. The Son is everything the Father is , save that He is not the Father, the Spirit is not the Son and so forth.

We can surely agree that God's actions reflect His nature. He does what is holy because He is holy; what is god because He is good. Therefore God's nature will be reflected in the actions of each Person of the Trinity and both unity and distinction between the Persons will be reflected in what God does.

So the actions of the Persons reflect their unity. In John 14:10-11, the Lord Jesus teaches that His works are at the same time His Father's works and this is grounded in the Perichoretic Union. In John 5:19, He testifies that 'Whatever He [the Father] does, the Son also does in like manner.' The fundamental unity in their actions mirrors the fundamental union of their Persons.

On the other hand, the actions of the Persons reflect their distinctions. The Bible teaches that the Father sent the Son, and that the Son willingly obeyed the Father (John 10:15-18; Philippians 2:5-9). Father and Son send the Spirit, but the Spirit does not send Father or Son. The work of the Trinity in salvation is outlined in Ephesians 1:3-14. The Three work in perfect harmony to effect their single goal, but their roles are quite different.

In order to represent this unity and distinction between the Persons, Augustine taught that the Father's actions are not without the Son and the Son's actions not without the Father. That seems to work rather well. Augustine affirmed that while the Persons of the Trinity do not perform the same action in the same way, nevertheless they do not act independently of one another-- their respective contributions to any given activity are inseparable.

So it is not meaningless to say that God the Son propitiated God the Father. The same Person is not the subject and object of the verb. Nor does the fact that the Father exacts a punishment borne by the Son mean that they are divided or act independently. Their relationship is asymmetric, but they are mutually and inseparably engaged upon two aspects of the same action with one purpose-- the salvation of guilty sinners while satisfying the justice of the Triune God.

Later, I will expand on how the temporary forsaking of the Son by the Father is not incompatible with the doctrine of the Trinity.

#1 Martin Marprelate, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2018
  2. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hasten to correct an error. The Spirit 'Drove [Jesus] into the wilderness' (Mark 1:12) in the days of His flesh. However, the Spirit does not send the Father anywhere so the argument of asymmetry holds good. The Son takes flesh; the Father and Spirit do not.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you doesn't. I also agree that it creates a tension but with that being true it doesn't mean that it is necessary to suggest that the Trinity is destroyed. Here is why:

1. This separation (forsaken) does not mean Jesus no longer existed.
    2. This separation (forsaken) does not mean that Jesus is not still in unity (in purpose) with the rest of the God Head.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I now want to look at the Lord Jesus being 'forsaken' on the cross.
    First of all I want to repeat what I said above. We must never imagine that God the father imposed upon the Son any burden that He was unwilling to bear. On the contrary, He declares, "I delight to do Your will, O My God...." (Psalm 40:8; Hebrews 10:7; c.f. John 4:34; 6:38). Nor should we imagine that on the cross, the Son extracted from the Father a mercy that He was unwilling to give (John 3:16; Romans 5:8). On the contrary, on the cross, 'Mercy and truth have met together; righteousness and peace have kissed' (Psalm 85:10).

I want now to consider the various references to the Lord Jesus drinking a cup. In Mark 10:38, He asks James and John, "Are you able to drink the cup that I drink and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?" Then in Gethsamene, 'deeply distressed and troubled' Mark 14:33), He cries out to the Father, "O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will but as You will" (Matthew 26:39, 42 etc.), and then in John 18:11, "Shall I not drink the cup which My Father has given Me?" It is clear that this cup is something horrific which the Father requires Him to drink. He knows all about it, has willingly (see above) agreed to drink it, but as the cup approaches, He is filled with dread and horror at the anticipation of it. On an night when it was cold enough for a fire to be kindled in the courtyard of the high priest's house (Luke 22:55), the Lord Jesus sweats copiously (Luke 22:44)-- the psychosomatic response of a human to impending trauma.

So what is this cup which the Lord Jesus must drink? The O.T. tells us; it is a cup of judgement and wrath against the wicked. 'For in the hand of the LORD there is a cup, and the wine is red; it is fully mixed, and He pours it out; surely its dregs shall all the wicked of the earth drain down and drink' (Psalm 75:8). 'For thus says the LORD GOD of Israel to me, "Take this wine cup from My hand and cause all the nations, to whom I send you to drink it. And they will drink and stagger and go mad because of the sword I will send among them........"' (Jeremiah 25:15-32). As one reads on it becomes clear that this judgement is for the whole world to drink. See also Isaiah 51:17; Ezekiel 23:32-34; Habakkuk 2:16).

So why should the Lord Jesus drink this cup? Mark 10:45 tells us, He came, 'To give His life as a ransom for many;' to drink the cup destined for sinners in their place. "Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem, and the Son of Man will be betrayed {lit. 'handed over.' Gk. paradidomai) to the chief priests and to the scribes; and the will condemn Him to death and deliver [Gk. paradidomai] Him to the Gentiles [lit. 'nations.' Gk. ethnoi], and they will mock Him and scourge Him, and spit on Him, and kill Him. And the third day He will rise again.'

Now compare with Psalm 106:40-41. 'Therefore the wrath of the LORD was kindled against His people, so that He abhorred His own inheritance. And He gave them [LXX paradidomai] into the hand of the Gentiles [or 'nations'] and those who hated them ruled over them.' So for our Lord Jesus to be handed over to the nations is tantamount to being delivered over to God's wrath. Christ gave His life as a ransom for many, being handed over to God's wrath in the place of many. The ransom is, of course, not money, but a life being given up in death, and pain being suffered in the place of others who would otherwise suffer the pains of hell.

[For much of the post so far I have drawn on Pierced for our Transgressions by Jeffrey, Ovey and Sach (IVP, 2007. ISBN 978-1-84474-178-6)]

So now we can look at our Lord's cry of dereliction. 'Now when the sixth hour had come, there was darkness over the whole land until the sixth hour. And at the ninth hour, Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?" Which is translated, "My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?"' (Mark 15:33-34).

We will first look at the supernatural darkness that came over the land. There are several places in the O.T. where darkness denotes God's wrath and judgement, especially connected to the 'day of the Lord,' e.g. Joel 2:31; Amos 5:18-20; Zephaniah 1:14-15 and particularly Isaiah 13:9-11 (quoted in Mark 13:24-25). so the darkness indicates the righteous anger of God, but against whom? The Lord Jesus Himself tells us that it is against Himself. 'Then Jesus said to them, "All of you will be made to stumble because of Me this night, for it is written, 'I will strike the Shepherd, and the sheep will be scattered'"' (Mark 14:27). The quotation is from Zechariah 13:7 which makes it perfectly clear that God Himself is the One who will strike the Shepherd. The Lord Jesus was made sin, and God's righteous anger against sin was poured out upon Him instead of us, with His full knowledge and consent.

[To be continued]

5. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And that is the basis for rejecting "The Father forsaking the Son."

It is an impossibility.

What you would have to establish is that the Son forsook the flesh He manifested in, which would be more likely than the Son and Father being separated, and I don't think you will do that either.

"Not without the Father" except, and I paraphrase, "...from the 6th hour until the 9th, when Christ called out and the Father heard Him, thus restoring the union you speak about in the first quote.

?

No, but it would be meaningless to teach both the Father and Son "mutually indwell each other" and "Father's actions are not without the Son and the Son's actions not without the Father" and...

...this is only not true between the 6th and 9th hour.

It's a little confusing Martin.

God bless.

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More correction for your error:

Luke 4:18 "The Spirit of the Lord....He has sent Me"

• Like Like x 1
  7. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have a bit more confusion if the Lord is seen numerous times saying He came for this very purpose yet in the Garden...He wavers?

I just don't see it that way.

Will He ask of His disciples "Shall I not drink of this cup?" and then be contrary to that? I don't think so.

Have you ever considered that the "cup passing" was speaking of His desire to get it done?

Correct.

And never is there any implication in the Chapter that we can tie this to the cup Christ partook of.

And in the previous quote (Jeremiah 25) it was the shepherds in view.

And when we quote the Lord from John, we see that He is not forsaken:

John 16:28-32
    King James Version (KJV)

28 I came forth from the Father, and am come into the world: again, I leave the world, and go to the Father.

29 His disciples said unto him, Lo, now speakest thou plainly, and speakest no proverb.

30 Now are we sure that thou knowest all things, and needest not that any man should ask thee: by this we believe that thou camest forth from God.

31 Jesus answered them, Do ye now believe?

32 Behold, the hour cometh, yea, is now come, that ye shall be scattered, every man to his own, and shall leave me alone: and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me.

The Lord denies their "belief."

They do not believe He will rise again from the dead at this time, or...after He arose again.

What is the "hour" in view here Martin?

Who is with Christ when every man scatters to his own and leaves Christ alone?

God bless.

8. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We now come to the dereliction of Christ. As I have said elsewhere, I cannot accept that "My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me" can possibly be read as "My God, My God, You haven't forsaken Me." Nor can I accept that David, who is described as a prophet in Acts 2:30, was actually a false prophet in that he made an error in Psalm 22:1 (c.f. Deuteronomy 18:20-22).

Nor is it a case of 'God forsaking God' any more than God prays to God (e.g. John 17). The Son prays to the Father, although the Father does not pray to the Son, and on the cross, the Father temporarily forsakes the Son. To be sure, we need to be careful here. We must not suggest that the Father was not present at Calvary for the very good reason that He is Omni-present. '"Do I not fill heaven and earth?" Declares the LORD' (Jeremiah 23:23-24; c.f. Psalm 139:7-12). Rather it means that the Son, who had enjoyed the constant and closest possible relationship with His Father, now lacked completely any sense of His presence until the sun appeared once more and He cried, "It is finished!" The Greek word tetelestai can also mean, 'It is paid' (c.f. Matthew 17:14) or 'it is accomplished (c.f. Luke 9:31). In fact, our Lord's cry meant all those things. The ransom was paid in full, reconciliation between Man and God was accomplished, and His suffering was about to be ended.

This forsaking of Christ is an integral part of the atonement. Christ 'is able to save to the uttermost those who come to God through Him.' His is a complete salvation. I shall not be condemned for my sins because Christ was made sin for me. I shall not suffer the pains of hell because Christ has suffered them on my behalf on the cross. I shall not be shut out from the presence of God (2 Thessalonians 1:9) because Christ was shut out from the felt presence of His Father on my behalf.

9. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a Man, Christ could be tempted; as God the Son, He could not give way to temptation. That does not make the temptation any less. You can heat pure gold up to 1,000 degrees and you will get no dross from it; but that does not make the heat any lower.
    Not for a second. '....Saying, "Father, if it is Your will, take this cup away from Me; nevertheless not My will but Yours be done"' (Luke 22:42).

10. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree. Consider the temptations we are shown Christ endured, was there really any possibility that Christ had to stop and think whether He would receive "the kingdoms of the world" or not?

Of course not. Why would the Creator be tempted by that?

It's still true He was tempted, but there is no real possibility of yielding.

Nor as the man in my view.

Sure it does. Heard a Pastor in a message yesterday say in regards to our being tempted that Christ is in Heaven saying, "Daddy, see what he is going through, I went through that. Let's show grace."

Insufferable cod-swaddle if you ask me, lol.

Again, it makes little sense that God would, from before the creation of the world, decide to go to the Cross, then waver at the last minute.

1 Peter 1:18-21
    King James Version (KJV)

18 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;

19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:

20 Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,

21 Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.

;)

So the Son of God forgot that He had decided this was the way Eternal Redemption would be obtained for man?

Again, consider that for the Son of God the "cup" encompasses not just the sufferings He would endure, or His Death (which He went to willingly), but the Incarnation as a whole. I know its easier to view this as His fear over what is coming, and I don't deny an element of that, but, it makes little sense that the Redemptive Plan, known to God from before the foundation of the world, and the very reason He came...was wavered at towards the end.

And that is all the time I have today, so hope you and all those here have a blessed day.

God bless.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So why was Peter a 'stumbling-block' to our Lord (Matthew 16:23, NKJV margin)? Because in Peter's voice He heard the voice of the tempter; "You don't really have to go through all that! There must be another way." If Christ was not tempted, then Mark 1:13 etc. is false.
    You need to make up your mind if He was tempted or not, but I agree that there was no possibility of Him yielding.
    Lol. Hebrews 3:18. For in that He Himself has suffered, being tempted, He is able to aid those who are being tempted.'
    Christ was Man as well as God. did you not read what I wrote above? It is clear that this cup is something horrific which the Father requires Him to drink. He knows all about it, has willingly (see above) agreed to drink it, but as the cup approaches, He is filled with dread and horror at the anticipation of it. On an night when it was cold enough for a fire to be kindled in the courtyard of the high priest's house (Luke 22:55), the Lord Jesus sweats copiously (Luke 22:44)-- the psychosomatic response of a human to impending trauma.
    So? That doesn't stop the anticipation of what was coming being horrific.
    Yes, I agree with that.
    John 12:27. "Now My heart is troubled, and what shall I say? Father, save Me from this hour? But for this purose I came to this hour. father glorify Your Name!" He was tested in all things, just as we are. He knows what it is to contemplate horror and shrink from it, yet press on.
    Have a super day, and God bless you too! :)

12. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To deny that the Son was forsaken you must believe Jesus lied.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is a most certain difficulty.

For, is it not true, Martin, that Jeremiah 25 is presenting that the nations are to drink from the cup?

Is it not true that Psalm 75 is presenting that the wicked of the earth will drink the cup?

And as you state, it is the judgement upon the whole world to drink?

Then why do you present such passages as it being the wrath of God upon the Christ?

Such is not.

Then you appoint Psalm 106:40-41 as if the inheritance was the Lord Jesus. Not, Martin, it was Israel, the people called by His name, His people, His inheritance that He gives over to the gentiles.

Ok, that is enough for now.

The opening remarks concerning the trinity are spot on (in my opinion) and is a I also agree, cannot undergo the wrath of God pour out upon the trinity by any member of the trinity.

You would actually have to separate Christ as not of God and breaking both the Hypostatic union and the union of the trinity for such to occur.

And, as your post actually attempts.

At what time in the Crucifixion was the Christ not God? Not at any time. Therefore such wrath poured out was not a part of the Crucifixion and why it was never pictured in type, design, institution, prophecy, or anywhere in the Scriptures.

You have actually, in vain attempt to support the position, taken Scriptures out of their intended place and transferred meaning to that never intended.

That is what you and I have often joined and accused others on matters, yet here in this thread you have done.

14. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one denies the Son was forsaken.

What is denied is that He was abandoned.

Can you actually separate Christ's humanity from Him being God? Of course not.

Therefore, God cannot abandon Himself, but the Father can withhold protection and withhold support as any earthly good father understands.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've wondered if this were not the case with Satan also, with this encounter.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The two words are synonyms.
    My friend, you absolutely have to do so. Otherwise you end up with syllogisms like these:
    God does not get tired (Isaiah 40:28).
    Christ got tired (Mark 4:38)
    Therefore Christ is not God.

God is omnipresent (Psalm 139:7-12).
    Christ was not omnipresent (John 11:14-15).
    Therefore Christ was not God.

The Lord Jesus Christ was man as if He were not God (Mark 4:38. He was also God as if He were not man (Mark 4:39).
    The Father can forsake the Son temporarily, which is what happened. Read through my posts again.

17. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The father treated Jesus as being the very fountain of sin, as the chief sinner, as he became the Holy Sin bearer, he who knew no sin became sin for our sake, and yet never ceased being God and Man. and though rejected by God while upon the Cross, was vindicated by His resurrection as really accomplishing salvation!

18. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They can be which is why one must use other Scriptures to indicate the actual meaning, which is true in nearly all languages.

For example: "Run Spot!" Does it state it as excitement and powerful emotion? Yes. Does it state that the emotion was from fear, desire to play, urging inclusion...? No. So it is with the word "forsake."

But, again, you know this already. When shown in other passages such as Psalm 22 and Rev. 5 that there is no abandonment, why is there still this clinging?

If you and I were on the same side in this issue, and arguing against one who was on the other side, would we not consider that person was conforming to opinion rather than the true presentation of Scripture?

Your math of if a+b=c therefore c-a=b is not applicable.

"The Word was with God, the Word was God... the Word became flesh and dwelt among us..." (John 1)

Therefore, the flesh being subject to the aspects of the basic natural demands to remain viable as flesh (food, shelter, wrath, water, sleep) were a part of the union of the flesh and God.

However, such does not prove that at the crucifixion the hypostatic union is broken, not the union of the trinity.

Your are forgetting that all things were created by Him, and have the continuance by His power (Colossians 1:17).

Such was undiminished when He became flesh and dwelt among us. He was just as aware, and continued to hold all things in continuance even while upon the earth in the flesh.

Yes, and no.

The Father can certainly forsake - using the definition of withholding support and protection and sending aid and comfort, but the Father cannot abandon the Son.

It is impossible under the terms of the trinity for such to take place. The trinity cannot be opposed to each other, and it cannot be dismembered so that wrath can be poured out upon a person of the trinity.

Either the trinity is viable, even in the crucifixion, or one must adapt in some manner that it was manipulated.

Such is never presented in the Scriptures and has no more foundation than to assume the position that God was obliged to dump His wrath upon the Son so that not a single drop was withheld in violation of countless Scriptures that do state that the wrath of God is visited upon the ungodly, and the sin filled nations.

Ultimately the PSA fails for two basic reasons (Imo).

1) it is not found viable in the veracity of Scripture presentation.

2) it is not conformable to the presentation of the trinity and the aspects of how the trinity works.

19. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the Lord Jesus was reluctant in some way to submit Himself to the wrath of the Father against sin, then you would be right. But that is not the case; they were not opposed to each other, but in perfect harmony; the Son sweetly submitted Himself to the Father's will. 'Being in the form of God, He did not regard equality with God as something to be held to His advantage, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.'

Is it possible for God to be a bondservant to God? For God to humble Himself before God? For God to be obedient to God even to the point of death? For God to die? Absolutely not! But God the Son did not hold on to His equality with the Father; God the Son became a bondservant to the Father (John 6:38); God the Son humbled Himself before the Father (John 5:30), and was obedient to the Father even to the point of death (John 10:18). And the Son could die.

I know you like a good hymn:

'Tis mystery all; the Immortal dies.
    Who can explore His strange design?
    In vain the first-born seraph tries
    To sound the depth of love divine.
    'Tis mercy all! Let earth adore!
    Let angel minds enquire no more.

There are some things that the Scripture tells us which are hard to understand. Among these is the fact that the Father forsook the Son for a period when He was on the cross. The Scripture tells us very clearly that it was so; let us believe it and praise God for it!

20. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't see "stumbling block" as fitting the context. When the Son of Man sends forth His Angels to gather out those that...offend, it is not because they are "stumbling-blocks."

It is because they are offensive to God.

That is what Peter was when he rebuked the Lord for saying He would die. Offensive. Stumbling-block tempers what I see in Christ's Own rebuke. He calls Peter Satanic.

I doubt, when you get to Heaven, if you were to ask Peter...that he'd say "the devil made me do it."

If he does, we will go get Paul and set the record straight.

;)

I don't think you're getting what I am saying. I am not saying He wasn't tempted, He was, no question. However, as in the example of the Creator tempted to worship Satan so He could gain the kingdoms of the world...

...has no intrinsic value as a temptation to God.

It's like one of your kids saying "If you let me have hot fudge sundaes for dinner every night I will behave." You're not really going to be tempted to do this because, first, you're already thinking "You're going to behave regardless of whether you ever have another hot fudge sundae in your life," and secondly, you know they would probably be pretty hyper if they did have them for dinner.

See what I mean? And that is not the best example but hopefully carries the concept of what I am saying.

My fault. So to clarify, He was tempted but He was never tempted to yield to them. He knew, for example, that to throw Himself off would be tempting God. Do you think for a second He entertained notions of doing that?

Has God never been tempted?

Deuteronomy 6:16
    King James Version (KJV)

16 Ye shall not tempt the Lord your God, as ye tempted him in Massah.

Hebrews 3:9
    King James Version (KJV)

9 When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works forty years.

And I would point out the comma in this translation, it is an apt placement.

Hebrews 2:18
    King James Version (KJV)

18 For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.

I know this is going to sound radical, but think of this as saying "He is able to succour them that are tempted because He has paid the price."

God did not come to understand what it means to be tempted by taking on human flesh. I would agree we could say prior to the Incarnation God never hungered, thirsted, or grew tired, so we could see a greater sympathy in those regards, but the point being He has been tempted before.

Continued...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.