Penal Substitution in Practical Application

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Reformed, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The great thing about the doctrine of Penal Substitution is the amount of detail we have on it throughout the Bible. We are not simply told the 'what' but also the 'how,'

What God was doing was reconciling the world to Himself, forgiving the sins of man. How He did it was by laying our sins upon Christ (Isaiah 53:6), transferring the curse upon sinful men and women onto Him (Galatians 3:13), making Christ into the very epitome of sin so that He might drink the cup of God's wrath against sin and sinners instead of us (Psalms 75:8; Matthew 26:42) and that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.
    We are also told that He is the Mediator of the New covenant (Hebrews 8:6 etc.), doing whatever is necessary to reconcile men with God, and its Surety or Guarantor (Hebrews 7:22) taking our debts upon Himself and paying them in full that we might go free.

The great book to read on this is The Doctrine of Reconciliation by A.W. Pink (Pietan Publications). It is available on line.

2. Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here you go...

The Logic of Penal Substitution by J.I. Packer

3. Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I concur. This is why I said the doctrine is plainly revealed in scripture. The Old Testament established the framework through the penal and substitutionary sacrificial system and Christ perfected and completed it in the New Testament. Paul comes as close as possible to saying penal substitution is in the Bible when he writes in Colossians 2:14, "having canceled out the certificate of debt consisting of decrees against us, which was hostile to us; and He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross." That certificate of debt is personal. It was not just removed, it was paid for. The hymn writer said of the cross that it was, "the emblem of suffering and shame." It was through suffering and shame that forgiveness and victory was accomplished.

5. Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pink's essay is not quite as long as Packer's.

6. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hopefully @Reformed 's is a better link.

I don't mind the length, but the font was not a friend to my progressive lenses.

7. Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That tells us a whole lot! LOL

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

8. percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It appears to me that Romans 6 is the application, for us.

9. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :Laugh I thought about that as I was typing the post. Since my view was actually less "progressive" than most iterations of penal substitution taken as "theory" I figured I'd "let it ride".

10. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since PSA denies God's sacrificial sacrifice for all mankind, it teaches futility, you are in debt, one you can never pay, and Christ did not pay it for everyone, so you have no assurance He will remove your sin burden. PSA is simply a Trojan Horse for Limited Atonement, two bogus peas in a pod.

Whose sins were laid of Christ, the specific sins of some individuals, or the iniquity of all sinners?

New American Standard Bible
    All of us like sheep have gone astray, Each of us has turned to his own way; But the LORD has caused the iniquity of us all To fall on Him.

11. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ie Presbyterian.

12. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like Sproul.

13. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh he be dead. Keller on the other hand lives (in NewYork) and runs most of the Presbyterian Churches even into northern NJ. He be a big leader here.