Php 4:19?????????

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ajg1959, May 27, 2008.

1. ajg1959 New Member

My wife was studying just now, and asked me what this scripture meant.

Php 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

Is it referring to physical or spiritual needs...or is it referring to the riches and glory of the coming kingdom?

AJ

2. Rubato 1 New Member

Yes. Yes. And, yes.

'All your needs' means (in context) physical needs. But Matthew explains that, as our spiritual father, God will supply our spiritual needs. And, the riches of his 'coming kingdom' are those which he already enjoys now.

Praise the Lord!

3. donnA Active Member

I guess if He says 'all your needs' He means 'all' your needs.

4. Jarthur001 Active Member

Hello Aj,

One needs to begin at the beginning of the book and follow the context. If one does…one will see many verses like this…

Being that JOY is the message of the book 4:19 is mainly speaking of spiritual joy found only in Christ. However, it should not be limited to just spiritual joy because blessing do indeed come from God in things such as a car. You have a car, because God gave you a car, for God wanted you to have a car, if indeed you have a car. :)

Some would say we should not bring “things” of this world into this passage. I would disagree. Things can bring joy, just not lasting joy, if they do not control us and we see them for what they are.

Things are to be seen as blessing from God and not “our things”.

I would suggest you reading Ecclesiastes along with and side by side Philippians to get the full picture of how this all works together. We are to thank God for all the blessing God gives us, yet not get attached to those things, for God can take them away, just as He gave them to us. (see Job)

The real path to joy as found in of both Ecclesiastes and Philippians is to find contentment. This is where we will find joy.

This contentment is not found in things, but in Christ.

Its not wrong to ask for things, but it is wrong to long for them and focus on them. Things will not bring lasting joy. Joy will come when we get things for a while, but joy always leaves because things fail us just as we fail.

This message is clear in Ecclesiastes. The “preacher” tries everything in the book to find joy or happiness, and everything ends with a worthless filling.

Ecclesiastes really does not point us to Christ as much as it points us away from the world and things. It does end with this… “Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.”

This is where contentment is found. It is found in knowing God and following Him.

That is the point of 4:19. As a babe in Christ one will apply this passage to getting a car or the likes. For they feel things will bring joy. As you get older, you begin to know joy is not found in things, and you begin to change your prayer to, “bring me closer to You dear God more then any thing else.”

5. ajg1959 New Member

I certainly see what you mean. If I am hungry then a hot meal will certainly bring me joy. The only problem is that tomorrow I will be hungry again. But joy in Christ is everlasting.

I read all of these replies to my wife and we discussed them, but she still doesnt quite understand the last part of the verse and I am not sure I do either......

" according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus."

Just what does Paul mean by "his riches in glory by Jesus Christ"?

AJ

6. Cutter New Member

" according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus."

Romans 2:4 speaks of the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering.

Romans 11:33 speaks of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God.

Ephesians 1:7 speaks of the riches of his grace.

Maybe the riches are the things of God and His character. As in, "according to His ability and character by Christ Jesus.

The "by Christ Jesus" part means that God's goodness, mercy, and supply for man's need is through and by His Son.

Just my thoughts.

7. ajg1959 New Member

Your reply is very similar to my thoughts. I was thinking that the only way we can receive anything from God, including His riches is through Jesus Christ. Maybe Paul used this reference to further remind us that only through Jesus are the blessings of God possible.

Thanks to all of you for your imput, this has been helpful.

AJ

8. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And it being "in Christ" that we receive these things such supplications should be made "in Christ".

9. skypair Active Member

My thought is that He can supply our NEEDS through the "riches" -- both spiritual and physical -- that are in Christ. The latter thought of His physical riches meaning Christ is wealthy in His church. And they ARE to supply the needs of "widows indeed" and orphans.

They ARE to supply your needs if you are a relative because "But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel" and certainly a believer would never abandon his own like a "false shepherd," 1Tim 5:8.

He/she may, at some point, have to turn you over to the "state" as some have for their unemployed, physically/mentally handicapped relatives have been. But I believe that, if one is in fellowship with Christ, these folks will be the "by Jesus Christ" that the verse refers to. :thumbs:

skypair

10. ajg1959 New Member

This is good stuff

I cant tell you how thankful i am for the BB. The wealth of knowledge that is here just for the asking is amazing. Even when the views of some of the posters seem to oppose each other, it provokes thought and study.

This like a classroom discussion at a seminary.

AJ

11. Jarthur001 Active Member

Hello skypair,

I would have to disagree with most of what you said, but admit that what you posted is the idea which many if not most will hold to. Yet if you look close the focus is away from God and placed on man.

I would not disagree with this statement.

I would strongly disagree with this statement SP. You have limited needs to supplies.
    Blessings are much greater then this. Beyond this, wealth is in face much more then "things", and what we as a church can give others. God is speaking of needs and many have no idea what they need. At times God withholds "things" to show us what we really need.

You are only seeing "things" as the answer. God may see suffering as our need and then let us suffer. Man can only guess at best what our real need is, but God knows the heart of man, and also knows what we need more then anything.

This verse is looking from the other side of the fence. One is looking at the needy and the other is the needy.

php 4:19 is speaking directly to the needy and telling them how God will supply the need...through Christ. The verse you quoted is address to those that have needy people under them, and it becomes our duty to provide for the needy.

Again, this is not the point of the passage, because now the state is the answer. God should always be the focus for only He knows our real need.

I'm not sure what you are saying here. Please help me understand.

12. canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Phil. 4:19 "And my God shall supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus."

If you look through Philippians, you see the theme of "joy" because of the advancement of the gospel in the midst of persecution.

Philippians is a prison epistle. Paul was awaiting trial in Rome when he wrote it. Apparently, the Philippians sent monetary (and other) support to Paul through a man named Epaphroditus.

Epaphroditus became very ill while in Rome and nearly died, (chp. 2:25-30) which caused great concern among the Philippians.

Paul argues that the things of the flesh (here on earth) are worthless when compared to the knowledge of Christ (3:7-9) and that believers should expect to suffer as Christ suffered, even to the point of death. (3:10-12)

The only thing that should matter to a believer is the cause of Christ in the world (the advancement of the Gospel) 3:13-21.

Now to your specific question: What does Phil. 4:19 "And my God shall supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.", mean; specifically "...according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus"?

The Philippians "needs" not "wants" are going to be supplied by Almighty God, as long as those needs are "in the sphere" of Christ Jesus and for His glory.

That is, everything they need to continue to advance the gospel in the midst of persecution will be supplied, even while some are suffering or die from persecution.

That is, BTW, one main theme of this epistle: The advancement of the gospel in the midst of persecution.

Paul begins the theme in chp.1v.5-6 "in view of your participation in the gospel from the first day until now. (6)confident of this very thing that He who began a good work among you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus."

This verse is not about sanctification of the individual. The "you" in "a good work among you" is plural...that is why the "en" should be translated as "among" instead of "in". The context is "your participation in the gospel" not sanctification.

I hope this helps

peace to you:praying: