1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Please call me Reverend

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Mar 3, 2018.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hubby tries to get people to just call him by his name or Pastor Bob if they really feel they need to use a title (especially children) but some people outside the church still call him "Reverend". He's corrected them but they think they are being respectful so.....

• Like Like x 1
  2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see you only answered half the question. the half about demanding to be called Rev.
    What about someone who prefers to be called Rev?

3. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When parsons dream, do they dream of another benefice?

4. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, Penelope.

Sorry. Could not resist. LOL

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Saved-By-Grace

Saved-By-Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Surely all Christians including those who minister the Word of God, and called to be overseers in the Church, should be humble and have a servants heart, as we are all equally, "δοῦλος", slaves of the Lord Jesus Christ. Why the need to take "Reverend", where the use of the Hebrew verb, יָרֵא (as in Psalm 111:9), denotes "a fear, awe, honor", which rightly belongs to Almighty God. Psalm 111:9 may be translated, "Holy and Awesome is His Name". I see no where in the NT where the humble Pastor of the flock, should be in any way elevated. Respect, yes, but the Hebrew יָרֵא means more than this, and should never be used for any mortal.

6. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would depend on the person. I used to work at the Sheriff's office with a black preacher on same shift as me. He preferred to be called "Rev". I did not call him that because his life did not line up to the honor of the title. We got off every morning at 2 A.M. About midnight, every night, he would start "sipping Crown" while on duty. I don't mean Royal Crown cola. By 2, he was always half tore up. Cussed like a sailor. Me call him "Rev"? Ain't happening.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see your point! Maybe he felt if he was called Rev- then he could justify his midnight beverage.

8. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have made something aweful out of that which is awesome. There is only One awesome--we crucified Him.

We live in a world of narcissistic respecters of persons, many of whom are caught up in filthy lucre.

The right reverend doctors are still in control. Beware the wolves dressed like sheep.

Any one want to discuss how we got sunrise estrus services in New Testament Churches?

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

9. SheepWhisperer

SheepWhisperer Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reverend
    1400-50; late Middle English < Latin reverendus worthy of being revered, gerund of reverērī to revere1

Yes, I know and believe that a wife should reverence her husband and the husband should do likewise. There is only one use of the word "reverend" in the KJV and it's used to refer to God and I know that's not a "title" in the KJV. But today it IS used as a title for men. If I were a preacher I would neither insist nor prefer that people call me "worthy of being revered". Was Paul, Peter or any other man of God in the NT called reverend? How about "Doctor"? I wouldn't want that either.

10. Pastor Sam

Pastor Sam Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I prefer Pastor but the unsaved folks respect a Reverend more than they do a Pastor