1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Majority Agree with NRA Plan to 'Increase Police Presence at Schools

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lost in our objective, unbiased, and non-partisan media's zeal to mock the National Rifle Association's proposal to guard our public schools is the fact that, in a Gallup poll taken Wednesday, a majority of 53% of Americans expressed their support for doing exactly what the NRA's proposing – increasing police presence at schools.

Only 42% support an assault weapons ban.

Almost as many people (34%) thought that at least one school official in every school should carry a gun as those who favored banning the sale of assault and semi-automatic guns, while 27% felt that the news media should not print or read the names of the shooter. The news blackout of the shooter drew the highest percentage of those who thought it would be ineffective, at 40%, but the gun ban was a close second in the ineffectiveness rating at 36%.

What also becomes clear from the poll is the public’s perception that all of the solutions offered would be fruitless, as 53% was the highest positive rating of any of the remedies.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2012/12/21/Poll-Majority-support-NRA-Plan

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I agree with what you are saying. I am all for teachers be armed. That would include any school employee capable of firing an gun and HAVING COMMON SENSE. I think about our congregation and many names come across my mind that have no business with a gun. They would shoot the choir director.

Having said that, there is nothing to stop us from banning automatic military type weapons and arming our school staff. Why not use a combination of ideas to put a stop to this?

3. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no legitimate reason to ban any guns. If you give them (gun haters) an inch they will want a mile. We do not need to start down that never ending road. they will not want to stop there.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You are probably right, because no common sense exists in this nation. It is kind of like the alcohol argument. Yes, the Bible does not teach abstinence (another thread), but most will not stop at one drink.

5. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just want to point out that automatic weapons have been essentially banned from private hands in the United States since 1934.

While it is true, certain people can obtain them after extensive background checks, registration and fees, very few people have them and they are ridiculously expensive to shoot because they go through an enormous amount of ammo very quickly.

Almost no private citizens have them and there are very few crimes committed with automatic weapons at all, much less from those who own them legally.

All of this talk from politicians and media figures about getting automatic weapons off the streets and out of the schools is either based on sheer ignorance or blatant dishonesty. For the general public who doesn't know much about firearms or the terminology, it is very confusing.

If you hear some "authority/expert" talking about banning automatic weapons over the next few weeks/months, you can be sure you're dealing with either a liar or someone who is grossly ignorant about the issue and hasn't bothered themselves to find out what they're talking about.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mark is right! About 50 years ago cigarette manufacturers were required to do one small thing - put a small notice on the package stating that smoking MAY cause health problems. Over the past half decade, little by little additional laws and regulations were constantly made. And now recently, a law was passed that you may not smoke anywhere in a county park - even if no one else is around.
    (granted I realize that smoking is harmful- but it is a legal activity) The point is, as Mark said - give an inch they take a mile.
    Salty

PS, I am glad for some of the anti-smoking laws - but by taking those to extremes - any other subject can be taken to extremes

7. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/other-races/273955-poll-majority-support-assault-weapons-ban

Guess you got your polling data from the same sources that said Romney would win the election by 7 percent in the popular vote and an electoral landslide.

A REAL poll, not biased toward the NRA's commercial interests, or bought and paid for by them, shows 4 out of 5 Americans favor some form of Gun control, and 62 percent favor a complete assault weapons ban.

The NRA press conference did absolutely nothing to advance their commercially controlled, money driven interests. Money has bought and paid for the NRA a long, long time ago. They do not represent the interests of sensible gun owners. That is unfortunate, because this issue could easily be resolved by sensible people who own guns.

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, what is your recommendation?

9. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm really skeptical about such polls since the politicized name of the arbitrary category of weapons uses the word "assault".

If someone asked me if I'm in favor of the private ownership of "assault monkeys", I would automatically say that I'm against it. If someone asked me if I'm in favor of people having "capable monkeys" in their home, I might have a different answer. :tongue3:

Furthermore, a lot of people immediately associate "assault weapons" with "assault rifles" (which are automatic weapons). I have noticed this confusion/dishonesty all over the public media and social media.

I am generally opposed to the private ownership of automatic weapons, except for very specific individuals. Today's laws seem to do a good job of managing that. But that's not what the public debate is really about.

The sad truth is that most of the loudest voices in this national conversation don't know what they're talking about or they're lying.

10. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

Need more GUNS

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Uh, yea sure. :rolleyes:

12. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

The public’s attitudes toward gun control have shown only modest change in the wake of last week’s deadly shooting at an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut. Currently, 49% say it is more important to control gun ownership, while 42% say it is more important to protect the right of Americans to own guns.

This marks the first time since Barack Obama took office that more Americans prioritize gun control than the right to own guns.

[​IMG]

http://www.people-press.org/2012/12/20/after-newtown-modest-change-in-opinion-about-gun-control/