1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: More Than 80 Percent of Americans Support Trump’s Trade Economic Nationalism

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Calminian, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Those are some seriously good numbers. I think it's safe to say the debate is over.

Free trade so long as it's fair trade. This has been a blindspot with many politicians for many decades. Finally common sense prevails.

Poll: More Than 80 Percent of Americans Support Trump’s Trade Economic Nationalism
    [​IMG]
    Brynn Anderson/AP
    by JOHN BINDER8 Mar 2018Washington, D.C.798

The vast majority of Americans support President Trump’s economic nationalist agenda on foreign trade, wherein the populist president is in the process of renegotiating multinational trade deals like the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).
    As Trump signed into law his 25 percent tariff on imported steel and 10 percent tariff on imported aluminum to protect American workers and U.S. industries, more than 80 percent of Americans say they support the president’s trade economic nationalism.

In a Harvard-Harris poll, about 83 percent of Americans said they supported Trump’s effort to level the playing field on foreign trade to reverse the decades-long pattern of multinational free trade agreements which have wiped out broad portions of the Rust Belt and middle America.

[​IMG]
    Trump’s trade economic nationalism is even more popular with Republican voters, a voting bloc that is misinterpreted as staunch proponents of endless free trade by the GOP establishment and corporate interests.

About 93 percent of Republican voters say they strongly or somewhat support Trump’s plans to renegotiate free trade to benefit American workers and to prevent multinational corporations from easily moving U.S. jobs overseas.
    [​IMG]
    Free trade, like immigration, is an issue that has come at the expense of American workers. With free trade, foreign markets have been readily opened to multinational corporations, allowing them to offshore American jobs while easily exporting their products back into the U.S.

With immigration, the U.S. continues to import more than 1.5 million illegal and legal immigrants every year, resulting in decades of poor job growth, stagnant wages, and increased public costs to offset the importation of millions of low-skilled foreign nationals.

The Rust Belt, which Trump swept in the 2016 presidential election, has been one of the hardest regions hit because of U.S. free trade with Mexico. In total, about 700,000 U.S. have been displaced, including:
    • 14,500 American workers displaced in Wisconsin
    • 43,600 American workers displaced in Michigan
    • 2,600 American workers displaced in West Virginia
    • 26,300 American workers displaced in Pennsylvania
    • 34,900 American workers displaced in Ohio
    • 34,300 American workers displaced in New York
    • 6,500 American workers displaced in Iowa
    • 24,400 American workers displaced in Indiana
    • 34,700 American workers displaced in Illinois
    Like trade, Trump’s pro-American immigration agenda is largely supported by Americans. As Breitbart News most recently reported, reducing legal immigration levels to raise the wages of Americans is the second biggest priority for Republican voters.

Likewise, black Americans and Hispanics are by a majority supportive of Trump’s effort to allow a small group of illegal aliens to remain in the U.S. in exchange for cutting legal immigration levels down to about 500,000 to 750,000 admissions a year.

More Americans support zero immigration to the U.S. than they do current legal immigration levels, as Breitbart News reported.

The Washington-imposed cheap labor economic model of endless free trade and importing millions of foreign workers to compete with working and middle-class Americans for U.S. jobs has helped keep U.S. wages stagnant for decades.

[​IMG]

Median earnings of full-time, year-round workers, 15 years and older, 1960 to 2016.

Meanwhile, Trump’s economic nationalist model has already resulted in history-making wage growth for American workers in the construction industry, the garment industry, for workers employed at small businesses, and black Americans.

The historic wages have been secured by increased enforcement of immigration across the U.S., where deportations of illegal aliens living in the interior of the country increased nearly 40 percent in Fiscal Year 2017.

The economic nationalist model is expected to result in continuous higher wages for America’s working and middle class for the next two years, Emerson Electric CEO David Farr admitted last week, as Breitbart News reported.​

• Like Like x 1
  2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, they are good numbers, but are they true?

The article claims:
    In a Harvard-Harris poll, about 83 percent of Americans said they supported Trump’s effort to level the playing field on foreign trade to reverse the decades-long pattern of multinational free trade agreements which have wiped out broad portions of the Rust Belt and middle America.

I checked the latest Harvard-Harris poll and it has nothing directly about this subject. So is Breitbart simply making things up (as they do from time to time) or are they going back to a poll conducted a long time ago and trying to claim it is current.

You are sorely mistaken.

However, I did find the poll quite interesting:

In general, do you think the country is on the right track or is it off on the wrong track?

Right track 37%
    Wrong track 54%
    Don't know / Unsure 9%

In general, do you think the American economy is on the right track or is it off on the wrong track?
    Right track 48%
    Wrong track 39%
    Don't know / Unsure 13%

Do you approve or disapprove of the job Donald Trump is doing as President of the United States?

Strongly/Somewhat Approve (Net) 45%
    Strongly approve 22%
    Somewhat approve 23%

Strongly/Somewhat Disapprove (Net) 55%
    Somewhat disapprove 16%
    Strongly disapprove 38%

Do you approve or disapprove of the job President Trump is doing on ...?

...The economy
    Approve (Net) 56%
    Strongly approve 28%
    Somewhat approve 28%

Disapprove (Net) 44%
    Somewhat disapprove 18%
    Strongly disapprove 27%

...Foreign affairs
    Approve (Net) 44%
    Strongly approve 20%
    Somewhat approve 24%

Disapprove (Net) 56%
    Somewhat disapprove 17%
    Strongly disapprove 40%

...Fighting terrorism
    Approve (Net) 54%
    Strongly approve 27%
    Somewhat approve 27%

Disapprove (Net) 46%
    Somewhat disapprove 19%
    Strongly disapprove 27%

...Administering the government
    Approve (Net) 42%
    Strongly approve 16%
    Somewhat approve 26%

Disapprove (Net) 58%
    Somewhat disapprove 17%
    Strongly disapprove 41%

...Stimulating jobs
    Approve (Net) 57%
    Strongly approve 28%
    Somewhat approve 29%

Disapprove (Net) 43%
    Somewhat disapprove 17%
    Strongly disapprove 26%

...Immigration
    Approve (Net) 47%
    Strongly approve 24%
    Somewhat approve 23%

Disapprove (Net) 53%
    Somewhat disapprove 14%
    Strongly disapprove 39%

#2 Baptist Believer, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
  3. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Other interesting poll numbers:

Do you think that children who were brought into this country illegally by their parents, many of whom are now in their 20s and 30s, should be given work permits or denied work permits?

Should be given work permits 77%
    Should be denied work permits 23%

Do you think that children who were brought into this country illegally by their parents, many of whom are now in their 20s and 30s, should be given a path to U.S. citizenship or should not be entitled to a path to citizenship without first returning home?

Should be given a path to U.S. citizenship 76%
    Should not be entitled to a path to citizenship without first returning home 24%

Do you think that children who were brought into this country illegally by their parents, many of whom are now in their 20s and 30s, should be given preference for their parents and relatives to move to this country or should they not be given preference for their relatives?

Should be preference for their parents and relatives to move to this country 40%
    Should not be given preference for their relatives to move to this country 60%

Do you think immigration priority for those coming to the U.S. should be based on a person's ability to contribute to America as measured by their education and skills or based on a person having relatives in the U.S.?

Should be based on a person's ability to contribute to America 84%
    Should be based on a person having relatives in the U.S. 16%

Do you think current border security is adequate or inadequate?

Adequate 38%
    Inadequate 62%

Do you think we should have basically open borders or do you think we need secure borders?

Basically open borders 21%
    Secure borders 79%

Do you support or oppose building a combination of physical and electronic barriers across the U.S.-Mexico border?

Support 57%
    Oppose 43%

Would you favor or oppose a congressional deal that gives undocumented immigrants brought here by their parents work permits and a path to citizenship in exchange for increasing merit preference over preference for relatives, eliminating the diversity visa lottery, and funding barrier security on the U.S.-Mexico border?

Favor 63%
    Oppose 37%

Do you think that, for his actions, President Trump should be impeached and removed from office, censured by Congress, or no action should be taken?

Impeached and removed from office 39%
    Censured by Congress 18%
    No action should be taken 43%

Do you think the investigations into Russia and President Trump are helping the country or hurting the country?

Helping the country 41%
    Hurting the country 59%

Do you think the independent counsel has found actual evidence of Trump campaign officials colluding with the Russians or has he not found any evidence of such collusion?

Found 37%
    Not found 37%
    Don't know 26%

Who do you believe most when it comes to the ongoing Russia investigation?

President Trump 28%
    Congress 9%
    FBI and the Justice Department 63%

Which of the following are your go-to sources for the latest news? Pick your top three sources.

Fox News 30%
    Local News Channel 26%
    CNN 26%
    NBC News 21%
    ABC News 20%
    CBS News 18%
    The New York Times 10%
    MSNBC 9%
    USA Today 8%
    The Washington Post 8%
    The Wall Street Journal 7%
    NPR 6%
    BBC 6%
    PBS 6%
    BuzzFeed 4%
    Drudge Report 3%
    The Daily Show 3%
    Breitbart News 2%
    The Economist 2%
    Bloomberg 2%
    The Colbert Report 2%
    Mother Jones 1%
    Daily Kos 1%
    Slate *
    Other 9%
    None of these 8%

Do you think the mainstream media is treating President Trump fairly or unfairly?

Fairly 54%
    Unfairly 46%

Do you think President Trump has treated the mainstream media fairly or unfairly?

Fairly 41%
    Unfairly 59%

What is your race?

White 66%
    Black or African American 12%
    Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish origin 14%
    Asian origin (includes people of Asian Indian, Chinese, Korean, Filipino, and Japanese origin) 5%
    Other 4%

4. Calminian

Site Supporter

Right but this thread is about Trump's nationalism policies. And you're actually claiming that Harvard-Harris is biased toward Trump?

I think I've heard it all now.

BTW, have you seen the jobs numbers? Wow! Boom times thanks to tax cuts.

But I suspicion you think those numbers are also phony.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have made no such claim, so there's a lie right off the bat.

I am pointing out that the Breitbart story does not seem to be accurate at all. It claims to get its number from the Harvard-Harris poll, but the poll SHOWS NOTHING OF THE SORT. In fact, the Harvard-Harris poll generally shows that Trump does not have the support of the American people they polled except very mild support in one or two places - nothing like what the Breitbart article (the OP) claims.

I don't think you've understood anything I have written yet.

No, just your interpretation of their cause and meaning.

It's a good jobs report, the most jobs added since July 2016 (Obama's administration), and shows the general health of the economy. The economy has been growing for several years, long before President Trump came into office, and the unemployment rate has continued its long eight-year downward trend.

I am quite concerned about the effects of the ill-advised steel and aluminum tariffs. That may change things radically in the near future.

#5 Baptist Believer, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Calminian

Site Supporter

Do you really have to throw out the L word this early in the conversation? You accused Breitbart of making up the numbers and now I'm lying? Isn't that a little over the top?

And if Breitbart did make this up, and cited The Harris Poll, don't you think they would respond and call them out?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the shoe fits.

They didn't get the numbers they claim from the poll. Note that I provided a link to the latest poll they cited. Feel free to check it yourself and find the numbers I could not find.

Not at all. This is not my first conversation with you. Moreover, you did make a blatantly false claim about me.

You posted an article from Breitbart. I went to the source they claimed to check the numbers for myself because they were too good to be believed. Turns out, they did not get their numbers from the source they claimed. So where did the numbers come from? I know from personal experience that Breitbart will publish falsehoods if it suits their purpose, so it is a distinct possibility that they did that here. Or perhaps they are getting their numbers from another source. If so, they are citing the wrong poll.

Maybe, maybe not. But you don't have to believe me at all. Look at the Harvard-Harris poll by clicking HERE, and find out the truth yourself.

If you can find those numbers, I will take everything back and admit I have made an error. If you can't find those numbers there, then everything I have said is true and you are the one who needs to change your tune.

If you simply ignore the facts of the poll and try taking another swipe at me, it proves you care nothing about what is true or false.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Calminian

Site Supporter

Where was my lie?

Okay so now you're saying categorically, BB made up these numbers and attributed to them to Harris. Do you realize what a scandal that is? Isn't there something in your head telling you that's highly unlikely?

Error or lie? Does this work both ways?

9. Calminian

Site Supporter

• Like Like x 1
  10. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Outstanding.

For those following along, it is actually on numbered page 85, Table 76.

I was wrong about that question not being in the poll. You are correct it is absolutely there. The Breitbart article didn't give the question much context, but the polling question was asked in terms of content of the State of the Union Speech and not what respondents actually think President Trump is doing.

So that part of the agenda has strong approval - just like the article claims - but the opinion of Trump's handling of his stated agenda is MUCH lower.

I stand corrected.

11. Calminian

Site Supporter

And thanks for the correction on the page number. Saved me a lot of time.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "And you're actually claiming that Harvard-Harris is biased toward Trump?"

I made no such claim of bias, either for or against Trump.

I wrote that I could not find a poll question related to the issue they claimed. I missed it because it was buried in the questions about the State of the Union performance, not what people actually believe regarding Trump's actions.

I made an error. Perhaps you made an error with your false claim about what I said.

13. Calminian

Site Supporter

I'll say. You categorically called BB out for lying. :( To be clear, you are apologizing for falsely accusing, right?

• Like Like x 1
  14. ChrisTheSaved

ChrisTheSaved Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

What is the source? You posted a lot of info with no sourcing. How do we know where those number came from.

15. Calminian

Site Supporter

Made em up?

16. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    American voters oppose 50 - 31 percent tariffs on steel and aluminum, and disagree 64 - 28 percent with President Donald Trump's claim that a trade war would be good for the U.S. and easily won, according to a Quinnipiac University National Poll released today.

American voters disapprove 54 - 34 percent of the way President Trump is handling trade. Only Republicans and white voters with no college degree approve.

QU Poll Release Detail

17. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's in the link BB provided.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    You already know the source since you referred to it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Calminian

Site Supporter

What I see is, contradicting polling data, just like we saw in the 2016 election. Trump was supposed to lose the electoral college in a landslide, and had a landslide victory. The steel trade deal is going to win big. You watch.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just goes to show, the great unwashed have no clue.