1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Possible ending of Johnson Amendment preventing churches from political talk.

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by LowOiL, Nov 3, 2017.

1. LowOiL

LowOiL Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    At the end of the GOP new tax bill is this little gem... a rollback of the Johnson Amendment, which prevents churches from endorsing political candidates.

Not sure why Red State is against this... really has me puzzled.

Personally... Only a RINO hack would want the Feds nose in the tents of churches to make sure they are preaching what they want them to. It isn't anybody's business in government if preachers push candidates, kool-aid or cigarettes.

You know Jeremiah Wright and Imams all over are pushing politics from the pulpit already.

The GOP's New Tax Bill Holds a Big Change for Churches

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a Trump promise--hope that he can deliver. As you say, the other side never obeys the law anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably because it helps undermine the Constitutional principle of separation of church and state - which happens to be a Baptist distinctive.

The whole point is to keep the feds out of the churches by restricting churches from doing what they should already NOT be doing - advocating for a kingdom that is not the Kingdom of God.

The power to tax is the power to control, so by pledging that we will not do something so contrary and repellant to the gospel as endorse political candidates or parties, or bring our nation's political activities into the congregation, the government can be assured that churches are not a place where tax-free offerings are used to distort the political system.

Why would a Christian want to hijack the church devoted to supporting and expanding the Kingdom of God and turn it into an organization to support and expand a kingdom that the Lord Jesus will destroy at the end of the age (if not sooner)?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Black churches for years have been violating this. In election after election, Democrat lawmakers have been visiting predominately black churches scouring for votes. If the Democrats are allowed to get away with this, so should other political entities.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the Democrats have debased Christian churches for their own gain, why shouldn't Republicans debase Christian churches for THEIR own gain, right?

Hey, if my neighbor has been cheating on his wife for years, why shouldn't I cheat on MY wife, right?

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. Think Jackson and Sharpton.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Abortion and homosexual issues. God in schools. Christian liberty. Need any more reasons?

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for stating this. So many Christians in the United States, right and left, are willing to do like Esau, sell their birthright for a bowl of stew.

"No soldier gets entangled in civilian pursuits, since his aim is to please the one who enlisted him." - 2 Timothy 2:4 ESV

#10 KenH, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Politics is downstream from culture. If you want to change the politics, then you have to change the culture. If you want to change the culture, then you have to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Only God can give a person a new heart, not politics.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Attitude like that is why the USA has gone to Hell in a handbasket.
    Its not either or, its both.

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong. The church needs to stop being interested in wielding political power, but wielding real power - the gospel.

"For though we walk in the flesh, we are not waging war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds." - 2 Corinthians 10:3-4 ESV

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

This is known as a false dichotomy. I am very concerned about what is happening in politics. But I am also concerned about winning the lost.

As someone has already said, it is NOT either/or. One can be concerned with both the state of their country and the state of lost souls.

What you are protesting is similar to saying that one cannot be concerned with helping the poor because they watch televised sports. One does not preclude the other in any way.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. FollowTheWay

FollowTheWay Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It should be enforced for all churches. Two wrongs don't make a right.

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    For a Christian, helping the poor is necessary; watching sports is not.

17. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Considering how much of the moral agenda is now considered political in some jurisdictions, repealing the Johnson Amendment is a good thing. Without the JA, Barney Frank could have been publicly opposed on moral grounds.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

I agree. But it doesn't refute what I said. I can do both. Just like I can care about politics and still do my best to advance Christ's work on Earth.

Working on one does not diminish work on the other.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

19. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, repealing this thing was one of Trump's campaign promises, so I think it should be repealed. The Johnson Amendment doesn't seem to be enforced much anyways, and it's been violated often with no repercussions:

The Johnson Amendment In 5 Questions And Answers

Actually, I'd rather not have to sit there and watch the pastor make a political endorsement but I don't want the IRS monitoring the place. This was a LBJ law from 1954 that he used to stop some non-church non-profits from giving money to his opponent for the Senate and is almost impossible to enforce fairly by a bunch of bureaucrats. Toothless.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Indeed. In fact I would say most of the macro political issues of our day are also macro moral issues. Part of the Church's testimony is its willingness to speak out against immorality and injustice. I don't see how the Church can ignore the macro moral issues of our time and still be an effective witness.