1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured power to tread on serpents...

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by awaken, May 1, 2013.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You are grasping at straws. Did Christ consider his own disciples to be Pharisees, or did his disciples consider themselves to be Pharisees?
    Scripture totally out of context.
    There were physical enemies and spiritual enemies.
    You also like it whenever you get a chance to add to the Word.
    The above is from Strong's. In the usage of Greek Lexicons it is compared to the child's dictionary on the desk in elementary school. It indeed is very elementary.
    Thayer is considered a more standard Lexicon for the NT Greek.
    The first definition is the most common and well used definition. The second is (as it is), secondary, of secondary importance. The context demands the primary definition be used if there is nothing to prevent it from not being used. And there is no reason to go astray from the primary meaning.

Since the word used here is "ophis" and is a Greek word, we should study its usage only in the NT, as the OT was written in Hebrew. Ophis is used 14 times in the NT, and each and every time it is translated "serpent." There is no need to give any other meaning but serpent to it.

2. awaken

awaken Active Member

NO! he was speaking to the disciples about the serpents (pharisees)

Could be..but from what I gather from other scriptures concerning serpents it could be referring to the pharisees or as Ez. was describing them.

Emphasis was added...

They looked the same to me! Lexicon did not add anything different.
    Not always do you take the first one. It depends on the context!

Nachash: 5175 Xxn Nachash (naw-khawsh');
    Word Origin: Hebrew, Noun Masculine
    from (05172)

serpent, snake
    serpent
    image (of serpent)
    fleeing serpent (mythological)

KJV Word Count (Nachash #5175) serpent 31

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Let's apply your hermeneutic; your method of translating the Bible:

John 3:14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
    --Aaaaah; Now you have called Christ a Pharisee, since Pharisee = serpent in your interpretation. This is blasphemous, but this type of interpretation leads to, well, fairly stupid conclusions, to put it bluntly.
    Again then, Christ was a Pharisee???
    As the serpent was lifted up; so Christ must be lifted up. Serpent = Christ.
    Yes, and the context demands a literal translation here. I have demonstrated that to you. In Luke 10 they were to go without shoes, barefoot. He told them that scorpions and serpents would not harm them therefore. He promised them physical protection. Why is that so difficult to understand?
    Serpent or snake. There is no myth in this account, nor would the disciples be thinking of a myth. You have a wild imagination. The Bible was written to be taken literally.

4. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

It is you who has a "religious spirit". I'm just not sure what religion.

Man-made theology? Many of us have given you the meaning of scripture in context which you continually deny and/or ignore. You have absolutely nothing to base your views on other than doctrines that were invented 113 years ago. They were unknown before then. Yours is the man-made theology: no scriptural support, and conjured up just a little over a century ago.

5. awaken

awaken Active Member

It is obvious that you come to my threads or after my post and continue to be critical of me! Would you like me to go back and post which ones.

Have you addressed the scripture in the OP? Do yo follow me around just to ridicule me?

I have given several scriptures why I lean toward the serpents not being literal!

Mark is addressed to believers! It is part of the great commission! It was not just for the apostles!

6. awaken

awaken Active Member

Context, Context!!!! THat is where you mess up!

So now you know what the disciples were thinking??

If the snakes and scorpions just represent physical protection...then in Mark 16 he is speaking of physical protection on ALL believers!

7. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I respond to you the way I respond to everyone, with facts.

I wish you had been at my home a couple of days ago when I saw a cottonmouth moccasin crawling across my yard. You could either have laid hands on it and instructed it not to pas this way again, or you could have dismissed it as a non-literal serpent, you know, the way you dismiss scripture.

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Now that's calling the kettle black!!
    Yes. We can know what they were thinking by:
    1. What they were not thinking,
    Example:
    Revelation 9:3 And there came out of the smoke locusts upon the earth: and unto them was given power, as the scorpions of the earth have power.
    Revelation 9:8 And they had hair as the hair of women, and their teeth were as the teeth of lions.
    9 And they had breastplates, as it were breastplates of iron; and the sound of their wings was as the sound of chariots of many horses running to battle.
    10 And they had tails like unto scorpions, and there were stings in their tails: and their power was to hurt men five months.
    Your allegorical method of interpretation would leave no excuse not to interpret the passage this way. OTOH, we know the disciples would not be thinking of these things for the book was not even written yet.
    They would take the passage literally, and not apply other metaphorical passages.

2. The context of the passage--what is the most evident answer.
    It is evident that he was speaking to the eleven, and that signs and wonders were given to the eleven as authentication of their apostolic office. This has been verified in other Scripture (2Cor.12:12; Heb.2:3,4). But you reject the Word of God. Typical.

#88 DHK, May 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2013
  9. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I have determined that it's probably best if I don't respond to Awaken any more, that is if I want to remain a member here.

10. awaken

awaken Active Member

THe second half of your post just like DHK...is to ridicule!

Show me one post on this thread where you posted anything about the OP scripture?

11. awaken

awaken Active Member

Again, I never said they were thinking of Rev. I said Luke 10!

No, I do not reject the Word...just your interpretation!
    The signs and wonders authenticated the WORD being preached!

Matthew 10:7-8.
    Luke 9:1-6, 11.
    Acts 8:5-8.
    Acts 14:7-10.
    Romans 15:19.

12. awaken

awaken Active Member

I think that is best! Especially since you address the person with ridicule more than you address the scripures presented!

13. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Your right, you don't usually read of them messing with moccasins but I did read of one case and the person was badly hurt. Even still, there are over 100 documented deaths from poisnonous snake bites in snake handling services. There are many people bitten and maimed by them. Apparently, they know the reality of it because so many families have had people hurt and killed. I have read that these people warn that if the Holy Spirit has not directed a person to do this, then you shouldn't do this. I would like to know how the Holy Spirit directs these people. Do they hear voices? I'm not being facetious, I really would like to know what people mean when they say something like this.

14. awaken

awaken Active Member

NOw that kind of stuff is stupid! I am by no means supporting any of what you posted!

15. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

That is a lie.

When you are given scripture, your response shows that you disrespect scripture. You are the worst abuser of God's word that I have ever seen.

#95 Thomas Helwys, May 3, 2013
  16. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No, I know you are not advocating this kind of nonsense. But scorpions and serpents. Literal or figurative? You see what misinterpretation of scripture leads to?

I really don't understand pentecostals. I'm not riduculing you, I have been around a lot of them over the years and I often wonder what they mean by 'the Lord told me' or 'the Holy Spirit directed me'. Seriously, do pentecostals hear an inner voice?

For me, I'm guided by the Holy Spirit inspired word of God and the teachings of my Church. I know this isn't the subject of the OP and I'm not trying to de-rail your thread. I'm just curious, if you would like to answer in a private message or a single post maybe?

#96 Walter, May 3, 2013
  17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Most of them who believe the verse, will take it literally, and practice. But awaken is in quite a predicament. She exhibits a fear of snakes (from her posts) and would not try such a thing, but at the same time takes the first part of the verse, claims it as her own, and claims to speak in tongues. It is a very hypocritical stand.

I have never been in a "snake-handling" church (or whatever they may be called), but before I met my spouse, she had been in one, that is, visited one in eastern Indiana. She told me what it was like.

They would, never, never allegorize the Scripture. What it says, they take literally.

18. awaken

awaken Active Member

Go back and read your post on this thread!

19. awaken

awaken Active Member

I am not Pentecostal! But I do believe the Holy Spirit guides from within!

The Bible tells us that we need to be led by the Holy Spirit ( Romans 8:12-14 and Galatians 5:16-25). Therefore, it must be possible for every one of us to discern the promptings and guidance of the Holy Spirit within us!

I also believe God speaks to us through other people.
    He guides us into all truth!
    His sheep know his voice!

20. awaken

awaken Active Member

But I do not take it as you do! I do not see that it says for us to pick up snakes! My interpretation does not contradict! YOurs does!