1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pre-Trib Rapture

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Ruiz, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Jeremiah2911

Jeremiah2911 Member
    Site Supporter

Amen and I have the same issues with clear Biblical direction concerning the "Rapture"--I have a hard time seeing it or "connecting the dots" as one must in order to arrive there.

You are exactly right--being dogmatic over something that isn't crystal clear to most is, IMO, detrimental and foolish. I always preach that the Bible teaches us to be prepared. [We don't know the day or hour]
    Actually, I had never heard the term "Preterist" before this thread:), but it isn't new as I have read others who believed parts of Matt. 24 had occurred in AD70 [Matthew Henry and others], but I don't think I had heard it as eloquently as you put it
    Amen thank you--we aren't supposed to "bite and devour" one another, although it seems some are intent on trying:(

2. Jeremiah2911

Jeremiah2911 Member
    Site Supporter

Amen I'm not a Bible scholar but they must have separate meanings [Kingdom of God, Kingdom of Heaven]

3. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

4. Jeremiah2911

Jeremiah2911 Member
    Site Supporter

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Rev 2:27
    rabdoV rhabdos hrab'-dos
    from the base of 4474; a stick or wand (as a cudgel, a cane or a baton of royalty):--rod, sceptre, staff.

Ps 2:9
    jbv shebet shay'-bet
    from an unused root probably meaning to branch off; a scion, i.e. (literally) a stick (for punishing, writing, fighting, ruling, walking, etc.) or (figuratively) a clan:--X correction, dart, rod, sceptre, staff, tribe.

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Copying and pasting a preponderance of verses to prove one's point is about as useless a thing as anyone can do.

When you do this, it is as if you are unaware that the people you are debating are VERY familiar with every one of these passages.

In fact, I venture to say that most of us could quote verbatim most of these verses from memory. Are you under the impression that we did not know these verses were in the BIBLE????

To put a dozen or so verses up that we already know by heart, have already studied thoroughly- is pointless.

Since when did proof texting become a legitimate form of argumentation?

Nothing coud be more useless than posting a bunch of verses and saying basically- "There! You see. I'm right and you're wrong."

The question is not, "Can you provide 50 verses that you feel support your view on the matter." No really thoughtful student of Scripture would be interested in that.

The question is- What is this verse saying and how did you come to understand it to be saying that?

That's all that REALLY matters in a doctrine debate.

ANYBODY can copy and paste a bunch of verses and say- THERE!

#66 Luke2427, Oct 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2011
  7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Let's talk about waste of time...

8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

And yet you've done the very same thing NUMEROUS times.

We are quite familiar with the verses YOU post, so what's the difference, Brother Luke?

Nope.....

Follow your own advice, then, Brother Luke.

What I posted wasn't proof texting, it was the Word the way I have been led to believe, through much prayer, meditation, and studying. I'd venture to guess you do the same thing, Brother.

Red herring.

Red herring part two.....boy you caught a bunch on your last fishing trip, Brother Luke.

I put in my post what I though the scriptures meant. Whenever someone refutes a post that doesn't have one verse cited, people call them out on it. I used several verses, and still get call out on it.

I guess I need to post what the London Baptist confession, Calvin, Pink, MacArthur, Beza, and Bunyan have to say regarding this. You'll accept what they say!!:thumbs:

9. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

If we all agreed on here, then there would be no need of a Baptist debate forum. Debate is good, as long as both side keep it civil. Too many times on here, threads detinate(sp?) because uncivility abounds.

First off, show me where in the bible it states that this earth is going to be renovated. It can't be found, or I believe it can't be found.

Greek word used for "fervent heat": kausoōκαυσόω

Thayer's definition:
    1) to burn up, set fire to

2) to suffer with feverish burning, be parched with fever

"elements": stoicheion στοιχεῖον

Thayer's definition:
    1) any first thing, from which the others belonging to some series or composite whole take their rise, an element, first principal

a) the letters of the alphabet as the elements of speech, not however the written characters, but the spoken sounds

b) the elements from which all things have come, the material causes of the universe

c) the heavenly bodies, either as parts of the heavens or (as others think) because in them the elements of man, life and destiny were supposed to reside

d) the elements, rudiments, primary and fundamental principles of any art, science, or discipline

1) i.e. of mathematics, Euclid's geometry

"melt': lyō λύω

Thayer's definition:
    to loosen, undo, dissolve, anything bound, tied, or compacted together
    to do away with, to deprive of authority, whether by precept or act
    to loose what is compacted or built together, to break up, demolish, destroy
    to dissolve something coherent into parts, to destroy
    metaph., to overthrow, to do away with

So as you can see, this earth will be dissolved and will no longer be in existance.

I don't think so, but I could be wrong. That would be like saying that the Lamb of God, and the Son of God are different, and we know they are the exact same thing.

The soul, when it leaves the body, if they are saved, goes back to God(Ecc. 12:7). The body is laid in the heart of the earth, and will return to the dust. When Jesus comes in the Cloud, that body that has turned back to dust, will come out with the new Spiritual body, fashioned after the likeness of Jesus' glorious body.

The body will return to the dust when it dies, and decomposes over time. It will stay there until Jesus calls it out of that grave, and get the new Spiritual body.

Glad we agreed on *something*!! LOL :laugh:

New Jerusalem comes down from God, gathers Her children, and the rest are cast into the lake of fire. Then we will go Home to be with the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghsot for all eternity!! I am thankful to God that I am ready for Him to call my name at any time!!

10. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

It's certainly possible.

I don't know. You'll have to be more specific.

I'll try.

No, Willis. It appears that you think you have a point if you can put up a whole bunch of verses. I'm trying to get you to see that that isn't so.

You do not make a point by pasting a verse or by pasting a thousand verses. You only make a point if you do exegesis on the verses you post- in other words, your argument is utterly meaningless unless you tell us WHAT the verse is saying and HOW you came to understand it to say that.

Otherwise you insult the intelligence of the person with whom you are debating by insinuating that they had not considered that these verses are even in the Bible.

No it isn't

No, I didn't

No- not enough for it to be meaningful. You did almost NO exegetical work. You did not tell us at all WHY you think those verses support your view and what process of interpretation led you to think that.
    If you don't do this, you are just blowing hot air.
    The crown does not go to the one who can quote the most verses.

That's why balance is called for. There SHOULD be Scripture in a debate about doctrine. But it should be Scripture rightly divided (exegesis) and the process of doing so ought to be clear in the post.

Yours is not.

No sir. But you would do well to learn from these men how to reverently, humbly, intelligently and Christocentrically interpret Scripture and how to make worthwhile Scriptural argumentation.

#70 Luke2427, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2011
  11. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In Daniel 2 it was foretold that in the latter days 'a stone' [Christ] was cut out without hands, which smote the image upon its feet that were of iron and clay [Roman Empire], and brake them in pieces. Two feet, ten toes; read Eastern and Western Roman Empire and the ten Germanic tribes, the Visigoths, Ostrogoths, Vandals, Franks, Burgundians, Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Alamanni, and the Lombards. Rome was first ruled by the Caesars and then the Germanic tribes. These are also the ten horns of the seventh head of Revelation and the ten horns of the fourth beast of Daniel.

12. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Check the NIV and the HCSB. Also, refer to Vincent and Robertson's word studies. And while you are at it, explain the functional difference between the concept of a rule with an iron rod vs. iron scepter.

In post 56 I ask the question: "The K of God or the K of heaven. Which one does Jesus rule with an Iron Scepter?"

#72 thomas15, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2011
  13. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a term I was not familiar w/.

I'll answer your question, but first, let me say that your question is not only loaded but not even the issue. Jesus uses the terms interchangeably. Plus, the word "kingdom" likely is not the best translation and should rather be thought of as the rule/reign/kingship of God or heaven. With that in mind, the answer to you question is both since they refer to the same thing, the reign of God (an essential part of the gospel and likely where the apostles thought to use the term ευγγαλιον for this message of God also from which Isa. 52:7 is the first instance of the word in the LXX and ties it to the rule of God).

14. ituttut

ituttut New Member

QUOTE=Jeremiah2911;1745558] answering Grasshopper.
    Brother, I understand where you are coming from, but this is an issue a person could argue till he was blue in the face, and I'm not willing to be dogmatic on issues I'm not sure about, but I rather believe they are different, but I could certainly be wrong![/QUOTE]

If you can bear with me for a moment, when you get time. Jeremiah2911, I believe you are right, which doesn't mean much; but I believe the Bible will back us up. I'm probably not telling you any thing new, but perhaps it is the way OF looking at things, and I know what I see. The best link I know on this subject begins in Genesis 1:1. I believe it will show that God created heaven. And our God, who is very good at separating, and dividing, also created the Earth. God had a plan, and so this is how He started it.

In time He made a man, and then took out a people for Himself. I believe Himself to be the Lord of Hosts who says in II Samuel 7:14, " I will be his father, and he shall be my son…". So we see in time a New man is produced by the Holy Ghost of the Lord of Hosts (Yahwehw) ho is the Father of His Son, Jesus Christ. God was able to keep His word for by David came Mary to deliver that Holy thing conceived in her by the Holy Ghost. Surely Messiah, the King will sit on the throne of David on this earth, and then Satan loosed for a short time from the pit, then on to his place prepared for him. Death and hell pitched in too.

Before we ever hear about the Kingdom of Heaven all we are told is about the Kingdom of God, and before the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand, the God of Hosts made promises to His chosen people that come from the loins of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. God looks to me to have Two KINGDMS in His plan. One on earth, and another in Heaven. Who will come to worship God in heaven, other than those on the earth?

It looks to me scripture will bear out there is a Kingdom of God, and a Kingdom of Heaven. We also notice God the Father has for Himself the people of Israel, and His Son, Jesus Christ has those that are in the Body of Christ. His people Israel, and only they are promised the earth. But what of we today? Are we Israel? I can't believe this for scripture tells me differently. Ephesians 1:3-5, "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
    4. According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
    5. Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children b y Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,"

My post on page 5 of this thread speaks to the Body of Christ in this age we live in. Are we not told that Heaven will come down to earth? As I live I have chosen Heaven. I believe those who chose the Earthy will go though the Tribulation. We are adopted so we did not come through Israel. WE gained Heaven through Jesus Christ, and I believe that is where He will be for eternity, after time is no more.