1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Predestination and Foreknowledge

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Mark Corbett, Sep 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mark,

Thank you for these names. While these men may claim to be part of the Reformed community, Baptist associations such as ARBCA and the SBC's Founders Movement find them to be heterodox in their view of the eternal state for unbelievers. The same for many Reformed Presbyterian denominations. Like anything else, one can claim to be something even if their claim strains credulity. This is one of the reasons why I am a confessional Baptist, just like many of my Presbyterian friends are confessional Presbyterians. Both the 1689 Second London Baptist Confession of Faith, and the Westminster Confession of Faith, provide a firm foundation on tried and tested theology. They keep subscribers away from slippery slopes that lead to heterodoxial and heretical doctrines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#121 Reformed, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Mark Corbett

Mark Corbett Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, this is part of the reason I was initially using the term "Calvinist" instead of "Reformed". "Reformed" tends to be a term used in different ways by different people and tends to be broader than "Calvinist". Still, among most evangelicals (at least most American evangelicals), the terms "Reformed theology" and "Calvinism" are often used interchangeably.

3. Mark Corbett

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, confessions of faith and statements of faith can serve, and often do serve, a useful function within the Body of Christ by guarding the church and its members against false teaching.

But these statements of faith must always and ever be subordinate to the Bible (being Reformed, I'm confident you agree with this). Unlike the Bible, confessions should be open to testing and there should be openness to changing them, or discarding them in favor of new ones, when and if they are found to contain errors themselves.

The people I know (quite a few) who have adopted the view of Conditional Immortality (which includes Annihilationism) have done so after long, detailed, and careful study of the Scriptures convinced them that Conditional Immortality is the correct view. Here I risk derailing this thread which I myself started, so if you want to discuss Conditional Immortality in more detail, perhaps a new thread could be started (although we had a long, detailed discussion of this, that thread was closed as threads often are after many comments).

4. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mark, I strive to be biblical in my posts. After all, if I believe in Sola Scriptura, I have no other option.

Will you do me a favor? Will you deal with the texts I referenced, as well as my exegesis, in post #114? I will commit to do the same with your passages.

Deuteronomy 22:23-27 is dealing with the external administration of the Mosaic law. The Mosaic law applied to the entire nation of covenant Israel. It did not matter whether an individual was actually a member of spiritual Israel or not. A person could be reprobate and still follow the external administration of the Law. It is similar to following laws today. It is illegal to rob a bank. It is possible to obey the law and not rob a bank, but maintain a covetous heart. The inability passages I cited in Romans 8, 1 Corinthians 2, and Ephesians 2 address the internal administration of the New Covenant. The only way to obey God's law is to be in covenant with God, and the only way to be in covenant with God is to be born again.

With respect, I believe you are placing a construct on God that is not scriptural. It appears that you somehow believe God is obligated to be fair and equitable. Nowhere in scripture do you find such warrant. God acts after the counsel of His own will (Eph. 1:11). God does not have to pass the "good and loving" test. God's elect are chosen, not because of anything they did to merit salvation. Indeed, they merit damnation. You have not explicitly said so, but you seem to disagree with Paul's statement in Ephesians 2:1, that the sinner is spiritually dead and incapable of any positive action in regards to God (c.f. Romans 8:6-8; 1 Corinthians 2:14). You really do have to deal with those passages. I know they are hard passages for a Synergist. Trust me. They were very hard for me when I was a Synergist. But no matter how I tried to employ exegetical gymnastics, I was not able to avoid them. Paul purposefully used the Greek word nekros in Ephesians 2:1. He was not saying the sinner is sick in his trespasses and sin. He was saying the sinner is dead as a doornail, just as a corpse in a casket is dead. If the sinner is spiritually dead (which I confess), then God must take unilateral action to change the sinner's spiritual condition without any action on the part of the sinner. By the time the sinner confesses and believes (Romans 10:9-10), justification by faith has already taken place.

Back to what is loving. How is it loving for God to save some through divine election? It is loving because God could have chosen to save none.

P.S. Edited to correct typos.

#124 Reformed, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree completely. I believe that the confession I subscribe to (1689 LBC) has withstood 328 years of constant scrutiny and testing, and it still stands unassailed. Of course, IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mark Corbett

Faith:
    Baptist
    My brother, what we have in common (imo) is far more important than our differences. For example, we both believe in Sola Scriptura!

I do intend to interact with your texts as well as your exegesis. There are many comments, and so I cannot promise to interact with everything in detail, but yours are (imo) among the best representing the Reformed view and I will try to get to them. I'm not sure of the time frame.

7. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mark, the reason I am pressing you on post #114 is that it strikes at the heart of our discussion. If sinful man is truly unable to believe without divine intervention, it has radical implications for this thread.

Blessings.

• Like Like x 1
  8. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not among the classical Arminians (like Roger Olson) who believe in the overarching truth of Reformed theology and reject semi-Pelagianism, sacramentalism and works-based salvation.

Olson and many Calvinists believe semi-Pelagian is the predominant soteriology of American Christianity. I see no reason to disagree with them, except that I am not sure it outranks Pelagianism

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe semi-Pelagianism is the predominant soteriology in evangelicalism. Pelagianism is only possible when someone believes people are born tabula rasa.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some stay that way their whole lives. :D:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL Most of them can be found congregating around zip code 20004.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you misunderstand Reformed theology on this point. Original sin and total inability to respond to God do not mean that everything a human does is sinful. It simply means that a human is bent toward sin. Yes, even fallen humans have the ability not to commit sin, but they are prone to do so.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Your starting point is wrong. The contextual starting point is verse 28 where Paul says that God works ALL THINGS "according to His purpose" and those "all things" are then listed as verbs "foreknew....predestinated.....called....justified......glorified".

He foreknew certain people "those whom" BECAUSE they had been called "according to his purpose."

Let me illustrate. A contractor is going to build a house, he foreknows where every window, door and room will be, and it is predetermined simply because he first has a blue print (purpose) which he works "all things" according to.

Like all Arminians you jerk things out of context, then reverse what the text says so that man's will is the determining factor rather than God's will.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is a "story" that is often told -- but it remains as untrue today as it was when first imagined for public consumption.

The problem with Calvinism's doctrine of arbitrary selection is that it goes against the Word of God. Such a huge problem and complaint about it -- that some Calvinists can't even say what the objection actually is.

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  15. Mark Corbett

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you saying you think that calling precedes foreknowledge and predestination in the order of salvation?

16. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

"Original sin and total inability to respond to God do not mean that everything a human does is sinful."

Anything done that is not in a service and loyal response to God is a sin. Show me something good without God.

17. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In Calvinist theology Foreknowledge = Predetermination.

God knows about because he's already made it happen in eternity past. It can't not happen because he knows about it.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo.

18. Mark Corbett

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm working through your "brief exposition of Ephesians" and hopefully will be ready to share some thoughts soon. Thanks again for the time you have put into this.

19. Mark Corbett

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for reminding us of this.

I'm aware that Calvinist theology says Foreknowledge = Predetermination (election, predestination).

I do not agree with that interpretation. Here are a couple of reasons:

Firs, notice the logical chain of events given in Romans 8:29-30:

ESV Romans 8:29 For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. 30 And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.

The chain of events (gracious, glorious, wonderful events) includes:

foreknew → predestined → called → justified → glorified

No one argues that
    predestined = called
    or
    called = justified
    or
    justified = glorified
    These are related, but separate, gracious actions of God.

So why should we think that
    foreknew = predestined

It does not fit the pattern.

A second reason I do not believe foreknew = predestined is because the words simply do not mean the same thing. To foreknow is to know something ahead of time. Even as humans we have (very limited, imperfect) foreknowledge of some events. God's foreknowledge is perfect, and I believe most likely it is also unlimited. But it is not the same as predestining. To predestine something is to ensure ahead of time that something will happen.

Now, certainly God foreknows everything that He predestines. But it does NOT logically follow that He predestines everything that He foreknows. That's just basic logic.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mark Corbett

Faith:
    Baptist
    You quote Ephesians 1:3-5

Ephesians 1:3-5 3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, 4 just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him. In love 5 He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will,

You then comment as follows:

I agree with everything you write here! And I praise God for these wonderful truths, as I’m sure you do.

The issue is not whether or not God chose the elect before the universe was created. The issue in this thread is whether that election was conditional or unconditional.

I would also point out that there is a third view, as I’m sure you know but some reading this thread might not know, called Corporate Election. Belief in Corporate Election can be harmonious with Conditional Election, but is not harmonious with the Reformed theology view of Unconditional Election (Some Arminians who hold to Corporate Election deny any individual election, but this is not necessary, as the two concepts can be easily harmonized). Corporate Election basically says that God chose Christ to be the source of Salvation, and whoever is “in Christ” is included. Corporate Election further posits that people are able to choose to be “in Christ” when they hear and believe the Truth, the Gospel of their salvation.

A common illustration for Corporate Election is that it works like a Gospel Ship. The Ship is Jesus. The Ship is heading for glory. You get on the ship by faith in Jesus. Everyone on the “Jesus Ship” is thus predestined for glory, their destination is glory.

I personally believe that some passages, like Ephesians 1:3-5 are at least in part referring to Corporate Election, although I also believe that individual, conditional election is also most likely true.

The reason a passage like Ephesians 1:3-5 works so well with Corporate Election is that it mentions being “in Christ” or an equivalent phrase quite often:

ESV Ephesians 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, 4 even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love 5 he predestined us for adoption to himself as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, (Eph. 1:3 ESV)

Similar “in Christ” phrases continue all through Ephesians 1 and in fact are found frequently through Paul’s writings. Ephesians 1:11 is especially relevant:

NIV Ephesians 1:11 In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will,

I have some more to say about Ephesians 1 before we get to Ephesians 2, but I don’t want to put too much in one comment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.