1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Preservation of the Bible: Providential or Miraculous?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by rlvaughn, Mar 31, 2017.

1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do you know he wrote that?

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do you?

3. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't claim he did. You made the claim, it is up to you to support it with empirical evidence.

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a general doctrine of preservation that virtually all of the systematic theologies talk about, and it is based on the providence of God.

Here is just one quote: “The providence of God means the continuing action of God in preserving his creation and guiding it toward his intended purposes.” (Millard Erickson, Christian Theology, 2nd ed. (Grand Rapids: Baker Books, 1998), 412.

Now, if God preserves His creation, than He must preserve the Word of God, since that is part of His creation. That preservation must be providential, since inspiration was miraculous. The difference in the two methods God uses is simple. To use the term one of my Greek students used recently, a miracle is an event that can be seen. On the other hand, providence is a gradual process, and can often not be seen in action, certainly not like a miracle can be seen.

As for the specific preservation of Scripture, there is plenty in the Bible on it: how Jeremiah's prophecy was rewritten after the king destroyed it, how the Decalogue was rewritten after Moses broke it, etc. But foremost in my doctrine of preservation is that, much as the OT priests preserved the Law in the Ark, we in the NT are to participate in the human preservation of Scripture.

I'd post more, but I have to go. Maybe more on Monday. See everyone then.

#24 John of Japan, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are several lines of thought presenting themselves in this thread. Therefore I thought it expedient to create a separate thread on the "preservation passages" in which we might focus on the texts themselves.

6. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think one thing that can be misleading -- particularly in the title of Rehurek's piece -- is that providence has a different connotation than the average reader might place on it (of course, one could argue this isn't directed to the "average reader". In "non-technical terms" the average Christian views providence as (often) a special act of God in favor or for the good of his people. If I understand Rehurek correctly, he and some others like him believe God's providence in regard to his word is no more special than God's providence in preserving the works of Shakespeare or Plato (but I could have misunderstood him).

Daniel Wallace seems to take a similar tack. And he starts out with a hard line trying to pin the doctrine of preservation on the MT/TR and KJVO folks. That's kind of poisoning the well.

Thanks. I'll look forward to it.

7. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    II Peter 3:15-16
    15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
    16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

I believe Y1 is referring to verse 6.

8. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think so too, but he won't say and won't post the verse. :Notworthy

9. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. I do not believe the doctrine of preservation, however I do believe that God's word is eternal (Isa. 40:8). Let me explain the subtle, but stark difference between the two.

God's word is eternal because of the very nature of whose word it is. God is eternal. Because God is eternal, His decrees are eternal. Because God's decrees are eternal, His expressed will (as recorded in Scripture) is eternal. There is noting to preserve because there is no plausible risk to God's word. If there was something that could actually threaten God's word, then God would have to be active in preserving His word from that risk. However, God's word is secure because of who God is.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do the Scriptures clearly teach that the process of the copying of the original language Scriptures on earth was by a miracle such as inspiration?

11. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reformed, I agree with all you write here, with the possible exception of "not believing in the doctrine of preservation." I say that because I think these are two different things. Talking about preservation is about whether we have reliable written texts passed down to us. On the other hand, the lack of written words does not effect God's eternal truth. In the other thread I mentioned what I think a lot of the so-called preservation texts are saying; basically God says, "I AM. What I say is truth. It does not matter what you think or what you say. Whatever I say will stand. Depend on it!!"

Jehoiakim cutting up Jeremiah's prophecy with a pen knife and throwing it in the fire is a good example that God's Word is always truth, regardless of what happens to the "print version." But we do have "print versions" of both the Old and New Testaments that have been preserved down to the present.

No, I don't think many people equate copying and translating as the same as the inspiration of the original authors of Bible -- except Peter Ruckman and those who follow his views.

12. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I finished reading Wallace last night. Can't say for sure since I didn't number the pages when I printed it, but at least half way into the piece -- but probably more like 2/3 -- he finally admitted that preservation wasn't just a view of those who promote the MT/TR and KJV. About one or two lines, with a footnote. Must have been hard for him to admit, but he did.

13. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My comment that there is no doctrine of preservation is more a reaction against KJVO adherents, some who believe God took an active role in preserving His word, specifically through the KJV. I won't derail your thread, but I take a visceral reaction against that belief.

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is indeed the passage, and even peter seemed to see paul theology as being "complicated"

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You would be correct!

16. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do you know that?

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, as inspiration was promised ONLY for those who penned down the originals, and believe God has preserved His bile to us by keeping all of those textual witnesses to them still intact!

18. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then why didn't you post it?

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr wallace seems to also have a problem with fully accepting full inerrancy at times! As he has written that it sometimes gets turned into what defines one being orthodox and genuine Christian...

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know