1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prof resigns rather than leave church

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Aug 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You do a great job of representing the cranky attitude in the SBC that Dr. Al Mohler spoke about in his message titled, "The President’s Forum on the Future of the Southern Baptist Convention" located at http://www.sbts.edu/resources/lectu...of-the-southern-baptist-convention/?play=true

Ever thought that perhaps God is trying to get the attention of those in the SBC? That will not happen among those who defend themselves.

#21 gb93433, Aug 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2009
  2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder what would have happened if Dr. Cox had not resigned and had simply stayed with both Southwestern and Broadway Baptist.

There was speculation that Patterson might not have dismissed Cox and just simply let the controversy die down, leaving Cox in place.

According to some things I have read and heard, throughout the investigation of and discussions with Broadway Baptist, Patterson was very humble and gracious toward representatives of Broadway and did not seem to relish the idea of Broadway being disfellowshipped from the SBC.

Furthermore, Patterson has a history of doing what he sees fit in regard to professors at SWBTS, whether anyone likes it or not. Sometimes (in my opinion), it is very negative, such as the dismissals of Karen Bullock and Sheri Klouda, and other times (again, in my opinion) he keeps professors who have radically different views than he, and most other Southern Baptists, on the faculty to (in my opinion) allow for more theological diversity than his trustees might appreciate.

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Two thoughts on this good comment.
    1. I think this scenario is a testimony to Dr. Cox's integrity. He knew this kind of fight should be avoided. He is a great man of character for avoiding this imho.
    2. If Dr. Patterson had dismissed him, which I can almost guarantee he would have, there would have been an accreditation fight like we've not seen recently. SWBTS would have lost and it would be B-A-D. You can't fire a tenured professor because of where they go to church like that. The process would have been long and drawn out.

I heard that Dr. Patterson has been gracious too. He is a gracious person in many respects and I appreciate that about him. In all of my dealings with him he is cordial and gracious. Broadway is a big part of SWBTS' history. The disfellowshipping is a difficult move ecclesiologically for the SBC. Also, Dr. Patterson knew he would be losing some fine faculty members. Do we really know how hard it is to replace such established faculty in an era when music schools in seminaries are not turning out such leaders in droves?

Well Dr. Klouda's situation is more public and deeply wounding. If for no other reason than her husband was suffering from cancer and SWBTS had a moral and biblical obligation to be hospitable to them. That said everyone at SWBTS knew Dr. Klouda wouldn't be offered tenure with Dr. Patterson arriving on the scene.

As for Dr. Bullock, she took the high road (not saying Dr. Klouda didn't either) and let things happen without saying much. She is an outstanding educator imho (well both of them are.) Her situation is completely ridiculous in that she was ready to be tenured and was turned down. She taught history not anything else. One reality is that prior to Dr. Patterson being at SWBTS they had the premier history department of any seminary. Now it is in shambles. They've lost nearly everyone MacBeth, Spivey, Estep, Baker, Stookey, Bullock, Gritz...man what a team.

Given these two cases I don't doubt that faculty would have been dismissed.

4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please delete

#24 Baptist Believer, Aug 25, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Dr. Patterson is making history now.

Since the SBC considers the seminaries to be an extension of the church I wonder when they will be consistent in their teaching of of 1 Cor 14:35.

1 Cor. 14:35, "If they desire to learn anything, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is improper for a woman to speak in church.

The next step they need to take in being consistent is in removing Mrs. Patterson. They ought to consider Beth Moore to be consistent in their theology.

6. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

I can can say, from insider information that I would prefer not to identify, that those faculty who were members of Broadway were told that the charter requirements (i.e., that faculty be members of Southern Baptist churches) would be enforced. I cannot of course say whether that would have gone to the point of actual dismissals; it is often possible to get things done by suggesting what people ought to do rather than by forcing them.

My insider informant has joined another church and is seeking to be very diligent in attending, participating in Sunday School, attending new member orientation, and offering music leadership. His wife will remain at Broadway, however, and he knows that he is welcome to participate in Broadway activities. I respect the integrity of his decision, as I do of Michael Cox.

When I was a pastor in Washington, DC, Dr. Cox brought the Southwestern Singers to my church. I noticed his humility, his competence, and his spirituality just in a couple of times with him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.