1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Profiles In Baptist History

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by tyndale1946, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would commend Brother Wayland's "Notes on the Principles and Practices of Baptist Churches" (1857)" to anyone interested in early 19th century Baotist thought. Mind you, Wayland was a Northern Baptist. So, he differs with many here who come out of the Southern tradition either as Convention, non-Convention, or anti-Convention folk.

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Notes on the Principles and Practices of Baptist Churches is available on line (although slow) at:

BAPTIST PRINCIPLES

3. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Roger Williams' role with the Baptists has been much debated. Thomas Armitage devoted three chapters to Williams and the Providence church and has, I think, made a balanced judgment:

http://www.reformedreader.org/history/armitage/ch04.htm

John Clarke's role in the Newport church, and his lasting impact, is not in dispute.

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The first two Baptist missionaries to Japan were Jonathan Goble and Nathan Brown, both of whom worked on translating the Bible.

Goble published his colloquial version of Matthew in 1871 from wooden blocks. Due to the fear of Japanese printers of the government's rules against Christianity, Goble was not able to get the blocks cut until he went to a man in Tokyo who did not seem to know what the Bible was! Goble's work was an amazing feat in those days. Unfortunately, his translation was not widely accepted. However, when the first complete Bible was published, Goble sold many thousands of books or portions of it as a colporteur.

Interestingly enough, Goble was the inventor of the jinrikisha, or rickshaw, which a Japanese craftsman made on Goble's design for the missionary's invalid wife.

Nathan Brown of the American Baptist Mission came to Japan at age 65 from his service as a missionary in India and Burma. Brown worked with other Bible translators at first, but then left their group to work on his own when they would not accept his insistence on the necessity of translating from the original Greek text. (The other group translated mostly from the KJV.) Brown actually translated the entire New Testament, publishing it in 1878, making it the first ever complete New Testament in Japanese. Brown was also the founder of Yokohama Baptist Church, the first Baptist church in Japan. What a two-fer!

John of Japan

5. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Delly, you may already know about this, but if not you might want to look into it. While I was researching for my book on the East Texas Musical Convention, I ran across letters written by Alfred Howell, R. B. C. Howell's oldest son. I found them on microfilm at Texas A&M-Commerce, but I think the originals are at the Tennessee State Archives. Most of the correspondence was written after he came to Texas in 1852 and most, I think, written to his brother Morton. They paint an interesting picture of early Texas and of Alfred.

Someone mentioned J. Frank Norris. Here are a couple of links:
    http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/NN/fno7.html
    http://www.gospelguardian.org/gg/bh0499.htm

6. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think this link has been given yet:

Baptist Bios

7. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is a good reference and has been added to the onlines sources thread.