1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Prominent Republican: Women Need To Be Paid Less So They Can Find Husbands

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Crabtownboy, Apr 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I agree with your post Ann, the real question in the OP is, "if the pay gap did not exist, do you believe that half of all women would not get married?" That is the hypothetical situation that Mrs. Schlafly presented in the article. IMO, it is patently false. That's what I'm objecting to along with the idea that women are primarily looking for a mate that makes more money. All this other defense of her is a misdirection away from her stupid statement.

2. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's called moving the goal posts. Schlafly contends that half of all women would not get married if their potential spouse made the same (or presumably less) money than them.

It's not the same question as "would you marry an average looking man if he had money."

3. thisnumbersdisconnected

You really need to wake up and smell the coffee. As IJ and I said, she isn't writing prescriptively. She's writing descriptively. She isn't drawing conclusions. She is playing out the string, so to speak, if the trend continues.
    If you want to think that, fine. No skin off my nose. But your "conclusion" comes from your bias against her, so I put no stock in it. God bless.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree. If the pay gap didn't exist, maybe then people would marry for something that actually matters? Like I said, I didn't marry my husband because he made a lot of money and while he did end up making good money at one time in our lives, if money were my focus, I'd leave him now that he's a pastor. We now make about half of what we made before he became a pastor. But that's not why I married him. I'd sell the house, get a full time job myself, go to become a one car family - all so that we could afford to live. But I would not give up my husband. :)

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    TND,

I thought the research you linked contained too many variables to categorically state that women are looking for money in a husband or they won't marry him.

It asked, "If you found a man to be average looking and you liked him, would you marry him if he had money." That's too many variables to claim that the women saying that they would marry this man are only after his money.

I think if someone is wanting to prove Phyllis' assertion that women won't find a mate unless it is someone who makes more money than her then another type of study should be done.

• Poll about 100,000 unmarried women from ages 20 to 50.
    • Give them 10 characteristics of a potential husband such as money, integrity, religious beliefs, having the same life goals, sense of humor, looks, well-respected/leader in community, ...... and more.
    • Have them rank these not from most important to least important, but have these women rank these from #1 being a non-negotiable factor and #10 being something that she could waver on and be flexible.
    Then, I think we could dogmatically state whether or not women are looking for money in a husband and whether nor not women with high-paying jobs are still able to find husbands.

6. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good points. I'm sure if someone had access to the Census Bureau data they could definitively make a judgment call.

7. thisnumbersdisconnected

You people don't like the evidence, tough. I've posted no less than three articles showing the trend, and you want to argue with the statistical methodology. I don't know why you have such a difficult time understanding that young, unbelieving men and women would do something as stupid and shameful as marrying for money, but facts are facts. You don't want to deal with 'em, who cares? I'll leave you with this.
    This would be a nice sentiment if it wasn't rooted in selfishness, but instead rooted in biblical living. The sad thing is, this is becoming the norm, like it or not.
    This is the way the world is going. Deal with it.

#47 thisnumbersdisconnected, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2014
  8. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What no Democrat ever says is that the high federal taxes favored by big business and big government have forced women to work no matter what.

Secondly, no Republican wants to marry a Democrat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.